News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Armenia-Azerbaijan War

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2020, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

We shouldn't have any doubt that there is / going to be ethnic cleansing. I still recall from a decade ago the Azeri officer who planted an axe into an Armenian officer's head in Budapest while he was sleeping being received like a national celebrity when Orban "transferred" him from a Hungarian prison. Even if official policy will be not to do stuff, good luck controlling the boots on tbe ground.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2023, 03:48:04 AMWe shouldn't have any doubt that there is / going to be ethnic cleansing. I still recall from a decade ago the Azeri officer who planted an axe into an Armenian officer's head in Budapest while he was sleeping being received like a national celebrity when Orban "transferred" him from a Hungarian prison. Even if official policy will be not to do stuff, good luck controlling the boots on tbe ground.

Yes, there are very good reasons why those thousands are fleeing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2023, 06:58:04 PMThe Turks are happy.  They are pleased to see what absolutely didn't happen in 1915 not happing again NK.
The other weird thing I learned about Turco-Armenian relations recently was that not only do the Turks continue to deny the genocide, but they also violently despise Armenians in general.  I guess maybe that shouldn't be surprising but somehow it surprised me?  Like I was reading about a Turkish dude who found out he was actually an Armenian by ethnicity--apparently Turkey contains a lot of 'crypto-Armenians'--and when he decided to write a book about it, his other fake-Turk Armenian relatives threatened to kill him if he went ahead and published it, so great their shame would be for being exposed as Armenians. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

The Turkish denial has always felt like the ridiculous 'ol neo-Nazi "Jews are all evil and should die...but the Holocaust is a hoax" line.

Razgovory

I've been reading the Pdox forums lately and there is plenty of justifying what the Azeris are doing. :yuk:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

I'm mostly ignorant of the whole Turkic - Armenian conflict (other than the genocide).

Anyone care to provide an outline of the core of the conflict?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2023, 08:40:55 PMI've been reading the Pdox forums lately and there is plenty of justifying what the Azeris are doing. :yuk:
That's mad - why? Who? Is it just lots of Ottoman fanbois? :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2023, 08:46:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2023, 08:40:55 PMI've been reading the Pdox forums lately and there is plenty of justifying what the Azeris are doing. :yuk:

A lot of "Well the Armenians made a lot of bad decisions" and "International borders are inviolate.  The Azeris have every right to do what they want in their own country".  It's bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2023, 08:46:47 PM

Let it be a warning to Russia's allies.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2023, 05:16:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2023, 03:48:04 AMWe shouldn't have any doubt that there is / going to be ethnic cleansing. I still recall from a decade ago the Azeri officer who planted an axe into an Armenian officer's head in Budapest while he was sleeping being received like a national celebrity when Orban "transferred" him from a Hungarian prison. Even if official policy will be not to do stuff, good luck controlling the boots on tbe ground.

Yes, there are very good reasons why those thousands are fleeing.

I don't believe people will be surprised by the inevitable ethnic cleansing. Armenians have been written off, again.

The pro-Azeri stances, on Paradox fora, surprise me a bit more.

Hamilcar

What I don't get about the conflict is what they're really fighting over seems so worthless - a bunch of poor mountain valleys. What am I missing? Are these valleys ALSO highly strategic trade corridors? Do they have giant natural gas reserves?

Syt

From my understanding, Nagorno-Karabakh (spelling?) is an Armenian-majority enclave within Azerbaijan. In late 80s/early 90s they wanted to break away from Azerbaijan/join Armenia, but Azerbaijan wouldn't have any of it. Fighting ensues.

From my understanding it's based primarily on ethnic/religious divisions, not strategical value of territory.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2023, 01:48:30 AMFrom my understanding, Nagorno-Karabakh (spelling?) is an Armenian-majority enclave within Azerbaijan. In late 80s/early 90s they wanted to break away from Azerbaijan/join Armenia, but Azerbaijan wouldn't have any of it. Fighting ensues.

From my understanding it's based primarily on ethnic/religious divisions, not strategical value of territory.

Wiki says there was fighting in early part of 20th century and then Soviet Era frozen the conflict.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2023, 02:23:53 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 27, 2023, 01:48:30 AMFrom my understanding, Nagorno-Karabakh (spelling?) is an Armenian-majority enclave within Azerbaijan. In late 80s/early 90s they wanted to break away from Azerbaijan/join Armenia, but Azerbaijan wouldn't have any of it. Fighting ensues.

Wiki says there was fighting in early part of 20th century and then Soviet Era frozen the conflict.

So basically they were having ethnic blood feuds and the Soviets put them in timeout for the 20th century?

Josquius

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 27, 2023, 02:30:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2023, 02:23:53 AM

So basically they were having ethnic blood feuds and the Soviets put them in timeout for the 20th century?

More Stalin took it off Armenia and gave it to Azerbaijan specifically to encourage the ethnic blood feuds and make sure if shit did go down that Armenia with all it's western links would be on the back foot.

The more you read about this stuff the more depressing it becomes - Armenians in Azerbaijan used to (20th century. Further back they were the majority of course) be a large minority  across the country specifically in major cities and some other areas like azerbaijans exclave. Today they number 217 :mellow:
Worse Azerbaijan has a policy of deliberately destroying any record Armenians were ever there. Razing ancient graveyards and churches.
██████
██████
██████