News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Armenia-Azerbaijan War

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2020, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

It would seem simpler, faster, and cheaper to pay every Armenian in Nagorno Karabakh say, $100,000 or even $500,000 to move to Armenia or Michigan.  There are about 144,000 Armenians living there, and at $100,000 each that would amount to a cost of a bit under $15 billion.  That's the cost of maybe 7,000 tanks or APCs, 500 or so of which have been destroyed already.  Drones and missiles are probably a million or so, and a thousand or more have been used or lost in the campaign to date.

Yes, homeland, etc, blah blah.  It's still a fucking insane war that costs far more than anything that could be gained could be worth.  Does Azerbaijan really want to pay buckets of blood for a region that will just suicide-bomb them for the next 25 years?

PSA:  my best friend is Armenian-American, and this is suggested by him.  His grandma made the best baklava ever and convinced me that it is an Armenian dish, no matter what the Turks, Arabs, or Greeks say.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 23, 2020, 04:38:04 PM
Britain was literally allied with Stalin at one point but we don't go all "well at one hand, but on the other hand" over that do we?
:lol: But I don't think either side are Hitler/Stalin level or that British interests are so desperately engaged as they were in WW2.

If I'm honest my natural position would be to be more suspicious of Putin given that he's recently invaded a European country and seized their territory and is still fighting a guerrilla war in that country (especially because I've been to Ukraine - and Georgia - a few times and like it a lot).

But I don't know enough and I'm not engaged enough in it to really have an opinion. I really want to go to Armenia and only kind of want to go to Azerbaijan, and Armenia had a recent "revolution" while Azerbaijan  have a comedy dynastic kleptocracy. So I suppose given that plus the Russia factor, I'd lean Armenia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

If I go back to 1991, when Gorbachev was still USSR president, and ask him if Nagorno Karabakh belonged to Armenia or Azerbaijan, what would the answer be?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2020, 09:21:23 PM
If I go back to 1991, when Gorbachev was still USSR president, and ask him if Nagorno Karabakh belonged to Armenia or Azerbaijan, what would the answer be?

Which part of 1991? That was right in the middle of the previous war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 09:26:15 PM

1985 then.  What would the answer be?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2020, 09:36:35 PM
1988 then.  What would the answer be?

It was inside the Azerbaijan SSR.

But we all that it all belongs to the Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Then I guess the Armenians should cease and desist :contract:

DGuller

"Piss off, I'm kind of busy right now."

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2020, 09:44:50 PM
Then I guess the Armenians should cease and desist :contract:

I'd guess that you'd guess that.  Though you'd be wrong. :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 09:41:34 PM

Although wasn't it one of those autonomous regions within the SSR due to the ethnic difference?
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2020, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 09:41:34 PM

Although wasn't it one of those autonomous regions within the SSR due to the ethnic difference?

Portions of it were.  The borders of the autonomous oblast enclosed about half the territory of the Republic of Artsakh.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Given the passage of the Viking expedition of Ingvar the Far-Travelled around 1040 it seems obvious to me that the area is fundamentally Swedish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 09:26:15 PM

1985 then.  What would the answer be?
It shouldn't belong to anyone but it's people. The soviet authorities are responsible for dividing the map in this way, likely deliberately as they wanted to mix things up and stop strong united ethnic states

This happened. It should be conducted again with proper international oversight and the participation of those azeris who fled nk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Nagorno-Karabakh_independence_referendum
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2020, 03:16:01 AM
Given the passage of the Viking expedition of Ingvar the Far-Travelled around 1040 it seems obvious to me that the area is fundamentally Swedish.

Blame Sweden?  :hmm: