News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Armenia-Azerbaijan War

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2020, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2020, 07:28:27 AM
My problem is I don't know who to root for.
I think that's the case for most people.  I sympathize with Armenian people generally, as they seem to be most like Jewish people:  spread out all over the world due to often murderous persecution.  On the other hand, they technically are occupiers of an Azeri territory.  On the other hand, the fact that some of that territory was Azeri was one of those "draw a map of Africa" decision that ensured war for generations to come.  On the other hand, Armenia is to some extent protected by Russia, which always casts a shadow over your moral superiority.  On the other hand, Erdogan is just as distasteful of a dictator as Putin, and he's clearly the key person behind starting the war against Armenia.  Letting genocide deniers deliver another beatdown to Armenia would seem very cruel.

Razgovory

Easy.  Find the side that backed by Turkey.  Then pick the other side.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2020, 08:17:40 AM

Easy.  Find the side that backed by Turkey.  Then pick the other side.

So, Russia?

Crazy_Ivan80

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2020, 08:15:01 AM
I think that's the case for most people.  I sympathize with Armenian people generally, as they seem to be most like Jewish people:  spread out all over the world due to often murderous persecution.  On the other hand, they technically are occupiers of an Azeri territory.  On the other hand, the fact that some of that territory was Azeri was one of those "draw a map of Africa" decision that ensured war for generations to come.  On the other hand, Armenia is to some extent protected by Russia, which always casts a shadow over your moral superiority.  On the other hand, Erdogan is just as distasteful of a dictator as Putin, and he's clearly the key person behind starting the war against Armenia.  Letting genocide deniers deliver another beatdown to Armenia would seem very cruel.

Agree generally.  It would be much easier to root for Armenia if they weren't supported by Putin.

OTOH Russia also sells arms to Azerbaijan.  And Armenia is smaller and poorer.  Plus they have the genocide card.

Tamas

Britain was literally allied with Stalin at one point but we don't go all "well at one hand, but on the other hand" over that do we?

Valmy

I am rooting for peace. This is a stupid war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 04:38:35 PM

Thank you Miss Texas, what is your talent? :p

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on October 23, 2020, 04:41:57 PM

You should see him in a swim suit

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2020, 04:55:42 PM

You should see him in a swim suit

Should he though? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

We have already had tens of thousands of people butchered and hundreds of thousands driven from their homes to no end at all in this endless conflict.

I guess I fail to see the logic or intelligence of pointlessly continuing to try a military solution. Especially as it seems clear Azerbaijan has no plan to win outside of a meat grinder.

Josquius

A brief study of the history shows Armenia is the one in the right. Interesting quite how much shit went down with pogroms et al even whilst the ussr still stood.
Sadly a solution to this all is further away than ever with the fighting.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 23, 2020, 05:33:23 PM

We have already had tens of thousands of people butchered and hundreds of thousands driven from their homes to no end at all in this endless conflict.

I guess I fail to see the logic or intelligence of pointlessly continuing to try a military solution. Especially as it seems clear Azerbaijan has no plan to win outside of a meat grinder.

It's the Caucasus, dude. But just because the basic premise is idiocy it doesn't mean that both sides are equally wrong. If the other side is hell-bent on ethnic cleansing you out of your home I don't think "yeah whatever just avoid war" is a solution.

BTW, there was the case of this Azeri officer almost a decade ago who was at some international military training event in Hungary. There was also an Armenian officer invited so one night the Azeri took an axe, went into the Armenian's bedroom, and killed him in his sleep. After a short imprisonment Hungary was quite clearly bribed by Azerbaijan to let the guy "spend the rest of his sentence" there. Once the plane landed with him back home he was celebrated as a nation hero, and since then he has entered politics as I understand.

Maybe the Armenians are similar but for me this really put a bad light on Azeri population and society.