News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Wasn't aware you'd passed, Oex. RIP.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Sorry, notary speech in this civil code jurisdiction :)
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 02, 2020, 05:37:58 PM
Finally took possession of my own new house today.

Congrats!

Where did you end up? What town?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Hey Meri - your new hometown has been getting some news / social media coverage.

Apparently an artist was hired to paint this weird soviet union meets Cookie Monster mural on the side of a building in Peoria.  A few days after he was finished the building owner calls him up in a fury wondering why the hell he painted this mural on his building without permission.  The mystery now is... who paid the artist in the first place?

https://www.cracked.com/article_29158_communist-cookie-monster-mural-mystery-sparks-ire-in-illinois.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

I finally have a "clear to close" on my house! :w00t: Lots of starts and stops due to the intricacies of FHA loans and the holidays.

Close on Monday, January 4, after which I will arrange to have a plumber and electrician come check things out. (Yes, I could have done this before, and yes, I know I could end up with a really big bill, but I got the house for cheap, and I didn't want anything to come up that the FHA loan would preclude a purchase for.) I've already hired (and paid) a contractor to strip the wallpaper and patch the walls so that I can paint. Move in date is tentatively set for January 16th.

:yeah:

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2020, 05:12:02 PM
Hey Meri - your new hometown has been getting some news / social media coverage.

Apparently an artist was hired to paint this weird soviet union meets Cookie Monster mural on the side of a building in Peoria.  A few days after he was finished the building owner calls him up in a fury wondering why the hell he painted this mural on his building without permission.  The mystery now is... who paid the artist in the first place?

https://www.cracked.com/article_29158_communist-cookie-monster-mural-mystery-sparks-ire-in-illinois.html

This has been kind of funny to watch play out. A friend of mine's son was involved in painting the original artwork, so he's considered "part of the problem". I giggled. Anyway, the owner painted over the mural with white paint, which then promptly washed away over the next week or so due to the continuous rain we had.

Still no word on who the guy was that hired the artist, but the original drawing by him is now up for sale, I believe.

Tonitrus

For about the same price as a house in Monterey, I could get a cottage+winery about an hour's drive to the east on 58 acres. :hmm:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39995-Carmel-Valley-Rd-Greenfield-CA-93927/2093405720_zpid/

I could be: retired Captain Picard.

PDH

Live in Los Banos!  Pretty cheap there...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

An hour long commute? Well hell that isn't much longer than the average Los Angeles resident drives to work every day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

That distance up the Carmel Valley Road might be a tetch longer than an hour...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Doesn't Los Banos translate to "the bathrooms"? :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 07, 2021, 11:50:12 AM
Doesn't Los Banos translate to "the bathrooms"? :hmm:

It means "the baths". Probably means there are some springs or lakes or something there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on April 07, 2021, 11:42:08 AM
Live in Los Banos!  Pretty cheap there...

I've also driven over that mountain pass above Hollister a few times back when I was there before...as a daily commute, no thanks.  :P