News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Da Belarusian thread

Started by Razgovory, August 17, 2020, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

The footage coming out of the continuing protests is still incredible.

It seems like state security forces become entirely incapacitated if their masks are pulled off.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2020, 03:38:14 PM
Time to use the carrot for Lukashenko?

Steven Seagall just looks worse, and worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

EU still can't impose sanctions on Belarus or Belarussian leaders after several rounds of trying - Borrell has acknowledged this is an issue of credibility for the EU now. Apparently the issue is that Cyprus is vetoing everything until there's a parallel sanctions on Turkey:
https://www.politico.eu/article/borrell-admits-eu-credibility-is-at-stake-in-failure-to-sanction-belarus/

I get Cyprus using their leverage but it is still pretty disappointing especially as the protests continue.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Whoever designed the EU wasn't thinking when they put that veto in.  Didn't they read their Polish history?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2020, 03:25:10 AM
Whoever designed the EU wasn't thinking when they put that veto in.  Didn't they read their Polish history?
Member states are super-protective around foreign and national security policy, understandably. But it does lead to issues like this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2020, 04:57:11 AM
Why did they let Cyprus in?
Cyprus is one of the countries that I actually think shouldn't have been let in. The plan was that a united Cyprus would join the EU by accepting the Annan peace plan. The Greek Cypriots rejected it by referendum and then joined anyway. I think that was a mistake - entirely separate from this discussion obviously but still.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2020, 05:12:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2020, 04:57:11 AM
Why did they let Cyprus in?
Cyprus is one of the countries that I actually think shouldn't have been let in. The plan was that a united Cyprus would join the EU by accepting the Annan peace plan. The Greek Cypriots rejected it by referendum and then joined anyway. I think that was a mistake - entirely separate from this discussion obviously but still.

I tend to agree, admission should have been linked to reunification. Then again it's understandable that Cyprus is looking for help with Turkey, seeing the way it is being bullied in recent times.

Sheilbh

Worth noting these protests are continuing and expanding demographically - new chant "the babushkas are against OMON" and "freedom for our grandchildren". Groups of pensioners congregating at a rally outside Government House. One of the groups walking past the KGB HQ:

Quite sweet stories of young protesters taking care of the marching elders, making sure there's plenty of water, rest stops as needed :)

Also the EU has agreed sanctions :w00t: (Not fully clear what bribery/pressure was brought to bear on Cyprus - but probably worth it).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I note we don't have a Nagorno-karabakh thread.
It seems relevant to this news too though. Russia has its attention split between its west and south... Should make things look a bit shakier for the dictatorship in Belarus.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2020, 09:52:19 AM
Also the EU has agreed sanctions :w00t: (Not fully clear what bribery/pressure was brought to bear on Cyprus - but probably worth it).

They were asking for equal sanctions on Turkey for their Mediterranean "aggression", so maybe they were promised something as EU might have to consider it for Turkey's Armenian war as well.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Glad we added a Caucasian war to the troubles of our age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on October 05, 2020, 10:26:27 AM

They were asking for equal sanctions on Turkey for their Mediterranean "aggression", so maybe they were promised something as EU might have to consider it for Turkey's Armenian war as well.
Yeah - it'll be interesting to see what they get out of this (and much as it would have been nice to see sanctions sooner - fair play to Cyprus, they had leverage and used it).
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Liep on October 05, 2020, 10:26:27 AM

no need for quotes around the word aggression