Washington Redskins to retire controversial team name following review

Started by garbon, July 13, 2020, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, some people don't seem to get that naming an athletic team after you is an homage.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2020, 02:00:51 AM
Yi got there first!

I was making a different point, though I agree with yours.

Mine was that if the wrong that was done was towards Indians, shouldn't the make-good be directed towards Indians too?  What do black have to do with it, besides BLM GRABBING ALL THE HEADLINES?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 14, 2020, 02:08:00 AM
Yeah, some people don't seem to get that naming an athletic team after you is an homage.

Not if they never win a Super Bowl. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2020, 02:34:57 AM

Washington has won a bunch of Super Bowls.  They owned the 80s.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2020, 02:08:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2020, 02:00:51 AM
Yi got there first!

I was making a different point, though I agree with yours.

Mine was that if the wrong that was done was towards Indians, shouldn't the make-good be directed towards Indians too?  What do black have to do with it, besides BLM GRABBING ALL THE HEADLINES?

Got it. That's also fair though I think it probably best not to have team names/mascots refer to ethnic minorities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2020, 02:40:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2020, 02:34:57 AM

Washington has won a bunch of Super Bowls.  They owned the 80s.

Minnesota FFS. I don't have a little Native American in me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

alfred russel

The Foreskins. Close to the original name, not an ethnic minority, and people have already been informally calling them that for years.

Hail to the Foreskins.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

"The Washington ______________"

Nice, simple, and showing a readiness for change.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2020, 02:00:26 AM
Probably better if new name doesn't reference people of color even if meant respectfully.

I quite agree.  That's why I prefaced my suggestion with "if people want to..."  They should not want to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2020, 07:49:54 AM
The Foreskins. Close to the original name, not an ethnic minority, and people have already been informally calling them that for years.

Hail to the Foreskins.

prejudiced against jews and muslims :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on July 14, 2020, 09:53:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2020, 07:49:54 AM

Hail to the Foreskins.

prejudiced against most American men born prior to 1990, jews, and muslims :contract:

FYPFY :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

It will likely mean there's many people not attached to them. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.