Washington Redskins to retire controversial team name following review

Started by garbon, July 13, 2020, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I don't understand why people called native Americans "red skins" in the first place.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on July 13, 2020, 02:55:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2020, 02:14:33 PM
I liked the suggested Washington Red Tails - named after the Tuskegee Airmen, the first black pilots in the US during WWII.
Actually that sounds really good to me.

There were a bunch of squadrons known as the "Red Tails," though, even if the Tuskegee Airmen have the most association with the name because of the movie.

Plus, the name seems too close to the existing, objectionable name, and would sound too PC to me for that reason.

If you want to honor African-American fighters, then "Washington Buffalos" might do it, named after the Buffalo Soldiers of the 1860s-WW2.  There were a lot more of them than there were Tuskegee Airmen.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Washington L'Enfants.

It would have about the same level of success as the present team.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on July 13, 2020, 08:40:23 PM
If you want to honor African-American fighters, then "Washington Buffalos" might do it, named after the Buffalo Soldiers of the 1860s-WW2.  There were a lot more of them than there were Tuskegee Airmen.

The Buffalo Bills might not like the potential confusion..  :P

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2020, 07:41:43 PM
I don't understand why people called native Americans "red skins" in the first place.

It's an interesting history. It seems to come from the interaction of French, English and Choctaw in the Mississippi Valley/Mobile Valley. The Choctaw (and perhaps the Chickasaws as well) used to use "Red men" for themselves, as people of war (red being the color of war - hence Baton Rouge). The French used "Red Men" following Choctaw diplomatic usage in negotiations of all kinds, which in turn filtered in official correspondence back to Versailles. The label certainly stuck, because the French and the English in the Carolinas themselves had begun to refer to themselves as "white men" vs the  "black men" they enslaved. Whether or not the Choctaw used "Red Men" in response to that earlier French (or English) practice is unclear. The usage eventually made its way up the Mississippi - including in translation into English in Kentucky. By the end of the 18th century, the word is making strong headway in the new United States. How red "men" became red "skins" in the US thereafter accompanies Indian removal, re-entering French from translation of American texts.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on July 13, 2020, 02:55:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2020, 02:14:33 PM
I liked the suggested Washington Red Tails - named after the Tuskegee Airmen, the first black pilots in the US during WWII.
Actually that sounds really good to me.

There were a bunch of squadrons known as the "Red Tails," though, even if the Tuskegee Airmen have the most association with the name because of the movie.

Plus, the name seems too close to the existing, objectionable name, and would sound too PC to me for that reason.

Well no - part of the appeal (says I as not at all a fan of the Washington DC Football club) is that it is close to the existing name, but springs from a far more PC source.

As mentioned, Washington Buffalos would seem to be a non-starter for a league with a team from Buffalo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 13, 2020, 09:24:22 PM

The Buffalo Bills might not like the potential confusion..  :P

No one has ever confused the Bills with the Colorado Buffalos.  And the Buffalo Bills are named after a guy, not an animal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I seem to recall that the Buffalo Soldiers participated in the Indian Wars (like probably much of the military at the time). Would that be problematic? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Syt

I like the Red Tails suggestion. Alternatively, "Washington Swampers."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Pick a safe name like the Washington Hummingbirds or the Washington Rat-fuckers or the Washington Doppelgangers.  You know what nobody has ever done?  Name a football team after another football team.  They could be the Washington Detroit Lions.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2020, 01:26:32 AM
I seem to recall that the Buffalo Soldiers participated in the Indian Wars (like probably much of the military at the time). Would that be problematic? :unsure:

Not if Bob Marley sang about them.  :)

Red Tails is cute but Tuskegee is in Alabama.

I also don't get the logic of dropping an Indian themed name and picking up a black themed name.

garbon

Probably better if new name doesn't reference people of color even if meant respectfully.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.