News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 01, 2021, 02:02:22 PM
I considered making this point, but viper doesn't seem like one for nuance.

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2021, 10:58:43 AMJust as if I were an American neocon making the case for a preventative war against an increasingly dangerous adversary, I would hesitate to use the 1939 invasion of Poland as my illustrative example.

I dunno, if the Allies had invaded when Germany remilitarized the Rhineland it would have probably been a much shorter war.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 01, 2021, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2021, 10:58:43 AMJust as if I were an American neocon making the case for a preventative war against an increasingly dangerous adversary, I would hesitate to use the 1939 invasion of Poland as my illustrative example.

I dunno, if the Allies had invaded when Germany remilitarized the Rhineland it would have probably been a much shorter war.

True, but it wouldn't have been a preventative war.  Violation of that treaty provides CB.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Isn't he talking aout Poland as the increasingly dangerous adversary?

I know that the USSR leadership in the 30s were very focused on the risk from Poland - which seems crazy now, but they weren't far from Poland fighting and winning on all fronts and surviving the Soviet invasion.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2021, 05:33:12 PM

True, but it wouldn't have been a preventative war.  Violation of that treaty provides CB.
I've always wondered how realistic a war over Rhineland remilitarization would have been .  You can say that there was a legal justification, but legal justification alone cannot practically justify a war.  If Dutch launched a naval invasion on the Isles of Scilly in 1980, they would probably not be justified despite a state of war existing at the time.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2021, 09:36:34 PM
I've always wondered how realistic a war over Rhineland remilitarization would have been .  You can say that there was a legal justification, but legal justification alone cannot practically justify a war.  If Dutch launched a naval invasion on the Isles of Scilly in 1980, they would probably not be justified despite a state of war existing at the time.

War over the Rhineland would have been very realistic for the men who fought in it and their families.

I did not say that there was "legal justification" for the Allies to attack Germany over violation of the Versailles Treaty, I said that there was a causus belli.  German violation of the treaty was an act of war, and the war that resulted would not be a preventative war.  The War in Iraq would be an example of what was claimed to be a preventative war.

And I'm interested to learn why and how a state of war existed between the UK and the Netherlands in 1980.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I just Googled for the first example of an "oops, we forgot you existed 300 years ago when we signed peace treaty" war.  :blush: The existence of Isles of Scilly came as a surprise to me as well earlier today.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2021, 05:43:02 PM
Isn't he talking aout Poland as the increasingly dangerous adversary?

More about prompting a war vs Poland plus its guarantors at a time and under conditions favorable to Germany as opposed to waiting for Britains rearm program to develop further.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-59494786

QuoteLinlithgow pub changes name over 'racist connotations'

A Linlithgow pub has announced plans to change its name from The Black Bitch to The Black Hound.

Its owners, the Greene King chain, said the existing name has "racist and offensive connotations".

Some locals have started a petition to keep the name saying it is an important part of local folklore in the West Lothian town.

It comes from a legend about a black greyhound who swam to an island on a loch with food for her stranded owner.

But Greene King told BBC Scotland's Drivetime that language had changed, so it was appropriate to change the pub's name.

Operations manager for Scotland, Paul Wishart, said: "To put it into context, you wouldn't call a new business today The Black Bitch.

He said the company had researched the name, and people "felt the name carried racist and offensive connotations".

He said this was true of groups who both knew and did not know the pub's history.

He said the business wanted to be "anti-racist, inclusive and promote diversity", so he felt strongly that the name change was necessary.

Mr Wishart added: "We know that name was not originally racist or offensive. But its meaning over time has changed.

"The grouping of those two words together can be deemed, in today's language, as racist and offensive."

He said the legend of the black greyhound would still be referenced in its new name.

According to the local myth, the female dog's owner was chained to an oak tree on an island in Linlithgow Loch to starve to death as a punishment for a crime.

The dog would swim over at night with food and water to keep him alive.

The locals - proud of the dog's loyalty and bravery - adopted a symbol of a greyhound in front of an oak tree as the town's coat of arms.

Mr Wishart added: "We are aware of pub's history. We're aware of where the name originates.

"The proposal to change the name to The Black Hound will still reflect that history."

He added that the coat of arms and the image on the pub's sign would be retained. However, changing the pub's sign would have to go through the planning process, Mr Wishart said.

Alan Snedden, who signed a petition to keep the original name, said there was "absolutely no racist connotation at all in the term".

He said people "from and born in Linlithgow are actually called black bitches and it's seen as a very high term of honour within the town".

He could understand to an extent how it could appear to be a racist term, he said, however: "The brewery are trying to be politically correct but not taking into account the history that's steeped within Linlithgow regarding the black bitch."

He urged Greene King not to change the name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I wonder how many people will assume that the Hound is male.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2021, 11:15:30 PM
I just Googled for the first example of an "oops, we forgot you existed 300 years ago when we signed peace treaty" war.  :blush: The existence of Isles of Scilly came as a surprise to me as well earlier today.

The "335 Year War" was a PR stunt by the islands' local council.  The UK/England and the Netherlands have had wars, but that wasn't one of them.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on December 02, 2021, 04:27:01 AM
I wonder how many people will assume that the Hound is male.

To elaborate, I think The Brave Bitch would have been a cooler option. Kept the dog female and kept the alliteration initials.

garbon

It is very unjust that they've disguised the gender of a legendary dog.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2021, 08:02:48 AM
It is very unjust that they've disguised the gender of a legendary dog.

Obviously, or you wouldn't have posted it as an example of a problem with cancel culture.

garbon