News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I don't think your "cult" or "madness" narrative is sticking, laying it on too thick isn't going to help.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2021, 05:14:26 PM
I don't think your "cult" or "madness" narrative is sticking, laying it on too thick isn't going to help.

I think it's actually working out fairly well. Keep up the good work Tyr :cheers:

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2021, 05:36:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2021, 05:14:26 PM

I think it's actually working out fairly well. Keep up the good work Tyr :cheers:
See, Tyr, this is why "cult' sticks much better to "woke" than to "anti-woke".

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2021, 05:44:47 PM

:lol:

You're nothing if not committed to your point of view :hug:

chipwich

This thread was a lot more fun during the civil war hijack.

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on December 21, 2021, 06:13:08 PM
every thread or so devolves into a civil war hijack. It's kinda more of a natural state on Languish than an hijack.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2021, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2021, 05:44:47 PM

:lol:

You're nothing if not committed to your point of view :hug:

I was just thinking that about you!

I am beginning to think the woke defenders are kind of like those people on Fox protecting Christmas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I didn't expect Yi to take a turn down Ontological lane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2021, 07:10:50 PM
I was just thinking that about you!

Yeah? Seems a bit weird to be thinking that, given what I've posted in this thread (not much at all).

What do you reckon my point of view that I'm so committed to is?

QuoteI am beginning to think the woke defenders are kind of like those people on Fox protecting Christmas.

What have I said in this thread that puts me in the category of "woke defender" on par with a Fox Christmas defender? The fact that I think Tyr using "cult" and "madness" is actually a fairly effective tack for him to take?

You know, I expect that if two of us sat down and chatted in a non-languish non-point-scoring environment we'd find that we agreed on more than we disagree on this topic.

Syt

"The War of Northern Aggression - Woke Cancel Culture Gone Mad!'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

An interesting look at cancel culture in history is examined in a Radio 4 programme/podcast starting at 3.30pm today, details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014g04

The Long View- Cancel Culture

Cancel culture is not new or unique to the modern day.  For as long as humans have had society, we've cancelled those who violated its unwritten rules and norms.
Jonathan Freedland explores what history can tell us about how today's cancel culture might play out. He looks for historical precursors, starting with the the story of Galileo, whose insistence in the early 17th Century that the Earth goes round the Sun and not vice versa,  got him into deep trouble with the Catholic Church.

Contributors:
Paula Findlen, Professor of History at Stanford University in California
Terence Dooley , Professor of History at Maynooth University in County Kildare
Sir Antony Beevor, historian and author
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

We already knew Agatha Cristie was a vile racist for using the n* word in her book title.

But it's now been discovered that she was a vicious anti-semite on top of that, and now, students are freed from this inapropriate content.

I think, Ontario aside, only Florida is as pro-active at canceling dangerous books.
Ontario school board removes Agatha Christie book due to anti-Semitic references

Next in line?  Wanna take a bet?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Of course the slight complication with that example is that Christie got her publisher to delete all the anti-semitic language from her early novels when they were being published in the US after WW2. I don't know if she revised the British editions or not. So the alternative would be to buy the revised American editions of the novels - I think she was one of those authors who tend to slightly revise and edit her work all through her life so different editions have different choices.

In relation to the anti-semitism, part of that is probably commercial in that she was clearly aware it wasn't going to fly with an American audience. However while there are definitely anti-semitic remarks (normally, but not always, by characters) in the early books, that more or less stops after the war so I think part of it was possibly also Christie changing - or, perhaps because her books are, I think, a really good mirror for a particular milieu in English society, because overt anti-semitism became far less common after the war.

Although there is definitely anti-semitism in her early books - it's nothing compared with, say, Dorothy Sayers where there's a lot more and a lot more not just remarks but really not great Jewish stereotypes. You can - and Christie did - remove the offending passages of her books and it doesn't make much difference. It's tough to imagine how much of Whose Body? would survive that type of editing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I was wondering where the anti-Semitism was in that book, and you've answered my question.

Does that Sherlock Holmes story need to be cancelled for anti-Mormonism?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2022, 06:04:51 PMDoes that Sherlock Holmes story need to be cancelled for anti-Mormonism?
No :P

I believe it has been removed from some school districts in the US after complaints by Mormon groups and families - that was before it was "cancel culture" though.
Let's bomb Russia!