News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Bolton book.

Started by Razgovory, June 17, 2020, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Fox has an alternate take.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Trump certainly errs a whole fucking lot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2020, 09:55:30 AM
Yeah, well the text book said that the communist leaders might lose the Mandate of Heaven in the eyes of the populace and start an uprising.  This book was printed in the early 1990's but honestly it seems sort of absurd.  Like Commonwealth countries overthrowing their elected governments to make way for the divine right of kings.

Does it? I mean I thought the term implied some kind of social agreement where the leaders had to provide good results for the people and in exchange they got to be the rulers. If they fuck up and bad shit starts happening then the people were required to replace them with people who could get good results.

Is that really that absurd of a concept? Granted there is some superstition in there that all bad things are the leaders fault but we kind of do the same thing in the United States where Presidents can get taken out, or are given credit, by factors often beyond their control.

The Divine Right of Kings is almost the opposite, where if bad things happen it is God's Will and it was probably your fault for God punishing you with a bad King. Better go pray and do better and maybe the next King will be good.

I don't think the mandate of heaven was a social agreement and I don't think that people of China believe they can stop a drought by killing president Xi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2020, 03:09:52 PM
I don't think the mandate of heaven was a social agreement and I don't think that people of China believe they can stop a drought by killing president Xi.

Well I couldn't disagree more. I think it absolutely was a social agreement. And I do think the CCP knows they have to produce good results or the people might turn on them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Alexandra Petri is wonderful.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

OK it's funny but

we shouldn't be making light of the pattern of importuning foreign leaders to help out his election campaign.  That is isn't surprising doesn't make it into puppy level destructiveness.  It's more like your puppy keeps using your absence to try to convey your house to another potential owner.  The first gets the puppy an aw shucks response; the second, you get a new puppy, fast.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on June 17, 2020, 08:49:25 PM
Mono, what is life like where you literally don't ever have to think of a moral quandary or higher ideal beyond "my boss is always right"?

Mono: Utopia

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 10:29:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2020, 09:55:30 AM
Yeah, well the text book said that the communist leaders might lose the Mandate of Heaven in the eyes of the populace and start an uprising.  This book was printed in the early 1990's but honestly it seems sort of absurd.  Like Commonwealth countries overthrowing their elected governments to make way for the divine right of kings.

Does it? I mean I thought the term implied some kind of social agreement where the leaders had to provide good results for the people and in exchange they got to be the rulers. If they fuck up and bad shit starts happening then the people were required to replace them with people who could get good results.

Is that really that absurd of a concept? Granted there is some superstition in there that all bad things are the leaders fault but we kind of do the same thing in the United States where Presidents can get taken out, or are given credit, by factors often beyond their control.

The Divine Right of Kings is almost the opposite, where if bad things happen it is God's Will and it was probably your fault for God punishing you with a bad King. Better go pray and do better and maybe the next King will be good.

Mandate of Heaven is just a polite, convoluted and glorified way of the scholar officials to tell the emperor that, if you don't behave, you'll be deposed.  If they tell that directly to the emperor, they'll be beheaded, tortured, burned alive, cut a thousand times etc.  So they had to invent a nice way to say it :contract:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2020, 07:13:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 17, 2020, 08:49:25 PM
Mono, what is life like where you literally don't ever have to think of a moral quandary or higher ideal beyond "my boss is always right"?

Mono: Utopia

Isn't that religion in a nutshell?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2020, 03:11:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2020, 03:09:52 PM

Well I couldn't disagree more. I think it absolutely was a social agreement. And I do think the CCP knows they have to produce good results or the people might turn on them.

I believe (and my Chinese students agree with me) that the concept of the Mandate of Heaven, while formally forsworn, still exerts a cultural influence on the Chinese people.  The Mandate idea basically said that Heaven rewards virtue with prosperity.  If the emperor is virtuous, then the country is prosperous, therefor, if the country is prosperous, then the ruler is virtuous.  If the country is not prosperous, the ruler is not virtuous.  Thus, Chinese rulers have pursued prosperity more than any other form of legitimacy, and the people have desired their government to promote prosperity more than, say, democracy or the rule of law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Bolton may have to turn over the profits from his book.  That would substantially increase my desire to buy it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on June 17, 2020, 11:02:52 PM
Why are we wasting our time on the troll?
It's only a troll if he doesn't really believe it. We've know him for 17 years now. He believes it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point