JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

I am an Obama liberal forced to watch in horror as conservatives became demons of plague, greed, and hate while liberals abandon their principles and adopt a bizzare totalitarian attitude when gender politics occurs.

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 01:12:20 PM
I am an Obama liberal forced to watch in horror as conservatives became demons of plague, greed, and hate while liberals abandon their principles and adopt a bizzare totalitarian attitude when gender politics occurs.

Well it is a weird balance because you want to support people's autonomy to live their lives and since they are a tiny minority they are vulnerable. I don't necessarily want some kind of gender dictatorship though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

...wut? :unsure:

As an Obama liberal myself, I just kind of subscribe to a live-and-let-live attitude. Letting someone use the bathroom they're most comfortable with doesn't impede me from using the bathroom, too. Let them be them, I'll be me, and in the end, the world is a better place.

That is not JKR's stance. She was traumatized in her life (as have probably half of the women in the Western World, fwiw), and she's using that as a reason to deny other's the opportunity to live their lives in their own truths. Okay, so JKR doesn't use a public bathroom. That's how that should play out. Instead, she's insisting that those other people should accommodate her rather than the other way around.

That's pretty problematic, in my opinion.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

chipwich

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 01:42:13 PM

As an Obama liberal myself, I just kind of subscribe to a live-and-let-live attitude.

If you had a live and let live attitude, you would have objected to Tyr's lies.

Barrister

...wut? :unsure:

As an Obama liberal myself, I just kind of subscribe to a live-and-let-live attitude. Letting someone use the bathroom they're most comfortable with doesn't impede me from using the bathroom, too. Let them be them, I'll be me, and in the end, the world is a better place.

That is not JKR's stance. She was traumatized in her life (as have probably half of the women in the Western World, fwiw), and she's using that as a reason to deny other's the opportunity to live their lives in their own truths. Okay, so JKR doesn't use a public bathroom. That's how that should play out. Instead, she's insisting that those other people should accommodate her rather than the other way around.

That's pretty problematic, in my opinion.

Okay, so I'm not quite sure what Chip is talking about when he talks about a "bizarre totalitarian attitude", but I'm equally confused when you say JK Rowling is trying to "deny other's the opportunity to live their lives in their own truths".  That doesn't track with anything she has said. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 01:48:46 PM

As an Obama liberal myself, I just kind of subscribe to a live-and-let-live attitude.

You clearly don't understand what "live-and-let-live" entails.

A simple, "Hey, that's not what she said. This is what she said. Do you still feel that way?" would have gone a lot further than your attitude. And if he still believes what he believes, well, that's on him. My job isn't to change his opinion. My job is to make sure that the facts are known. Then I go on with my life and he goes on with his, and I pray that his attitude - with more exposure and education - will change.

I can't make people listen. I can't make people hear. I can just present what I know to be true and hope that they do both.

The Brain

Meri, do you think there are any potential problems with transwomen in women's sports? I ask because I didn't really understand people's positions when sports came up earlier in the thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 01:54:54 PM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 01:48:46 PM

You clearly don't understand what "live-and-let-live" entails.

A simple, "Hey, that's not what she said. This is what she said. Do you still feel that way?" would have gone a lot further than your attitude. And if he still believes what he believes, well, that's on him. My job isn't to change his opinion. My job is to make sure that the facts are known. Then I go on with my life and he goes on with his, and I pray that his attitude - with more exposure and education - will change.

I can't make people listen. I can't make people hear. I can just present what I know to be true and hope that they do both.

Don't coddle lairs. They know that what they are doing is wrong. Anyone who has watched a Trump press conference knows that lairs are maggots eating at human civilization and should be treated as vermin.

Zoupa

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2020, 01:52:59 PM
Okay, so I'm not quite sure what Chip is talking about when he talks about a "bizarre totalitarian attitude", but I'm equally confused when you say JK Rowling is trying to "deny other's the opportunity to live their lives in their own truths".  That doesn't track with anything she has said.

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

QuoteSo I want trans women to be safe. At the same time, I do not want to make natal girls and women less safe. When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he's a woman – and, as I've said, gender confirmation certificates may now be granted without any need for surgery or hormones – then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside. That is the simple truth. - JK Rowling

Denying transfolk* the use of bathrooms and dressing rooms that fit with their self-identity is denying them the ability to live their own truths.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2020, 01:59:03 PM
Meri, do you think there are any potential problems with transwomen in women's sports? I ask because I didn't really understand people's positions when sports came up earlier in the thread.

I think that it's a very complex and confusing part of transgenderism that is going to require a very delicate touch on how to handle it. I also don't believe that the US has the ability to have that conversation right now given how polarized everyone is. We, as a nation, don't do delicate right now.

I see both sides of the issue, and I struggle with finding an answer. I'm very grateful that it's not my responsibility to do so, because I'm not sure that I could.

merithyn

Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 02:00:41 PM

Don't coddle lairs. They know that what they are doing is wrong. Anyone who has watched a Trump press conference knows that lairs are maggots eating at human civilization and should be treated as vermin.

Interesting that you would equate outright fabrication of facts like what Trump does with an interpretation of a very nuanced topic like Tyr has done.

That, to me, shows how little you understand rather than how wrong Tyr is.

Eddie Teach

Lairs is weird. If you must have a quirky replacement word, might I suggest lyres?

Also, civility is the cornerstone of civilization. Even if it is essentially a lie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2020, 01:52:59 PM

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

QuoteSo I want trans women to be safe. At the same time, I do not want to make natal girls and women less safe. When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he's a woman – and, as I've said, gender confirmation certificates may now be granted without any need for surgery or hormones – then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside. That is the simple truth. - JK Rowling

Denying transfolk* the use of bathrooms and dressing rooms that fit with their self-identity is denying them the ability to live their own truths.

What Rowling is saying is that she wants trans people to get a medical certificate before changing their ID (and then presumably using the opposite bathroom).  Which is the law as it exists, or previously existed, in the UK.

You can agree or disagree, but it's a lot less ominous than "denying them the ability to live their own truths".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

chipwich

Quote from: merithyn on September 17, 2020, 02:14:11 PM
Quote from: chipwich on September 17, 2020, 02:00:41 PM

Interesting that you would equate outright fabrication of facts like what Trump does with an interpretation of a very nuanced topic like Tyr has done.

That, to me, shows how little you understand rather than how wrong Tyr is.

He fabricated it out of thin air. Your failure to accept that shows you are no better than a Trump voter.