JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 02, 2020, 04:28:29 PM
Sort of. The first thing to note is that domestic violence centres already have a legal obligation to risk assess any person they take in and that doesn't change because of changes to the laws around gender recognition, it's a separate issue around their duty of care. So on a practical level most women's domestic violence shelters already take trans women with, it should be noted, few incidents.
I agree to that, but we're back at the cancellers attacking said refuges for transphobia if they ever shut their doors to transexuals out of concern for their primary population.

I'm not sure if it's been removed but the also had a spousal veto - even if a couple was separated (the UK doesn't have no-fault divorce I don't think). Obviously that's particularly an issue if there's also domestic violence.
I was unaware of that.  I don't think it's an issue in Quebec or Canada.  Obviously, in societies with these kind of laws, I believe it should be changed.

Now the practical issue is presumably until then a transwoman, living as a woman who hasn't been approved yet - or maybe just vetoed by her spouse - should continue to use the men's bathroom? Or the disabled loo? Or is it okay for her to use the woman's loo?
I see this as a ridiculous issue, honestly.  FFS, people should use any bathroom they want.  I don't care if a biological woman or a trans woman or a trans man comes into the bathroom space while I'm there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

While in general yes the issue is ridiculous, I think the problem is for women who worry about this is that it is a setting where they can find themselves isolated and locked in and thus exposed/vulnerable to a man. Of course viper would not worry because it is unlikely a woman entering the public toilet he is using would have both the physical strength and desire to harass him. :p

But seeing how plenty of men behave with women the moment they feel they can get away with being domineering (and that usually means the physical setting prevents the women from avoiding or socially shaming them), I can understand why some women do not want to lose the option to prevent men from entering what can become an isolated setting.

Josquius

Nobody wants men in women's loos. That's a strawman that has been put up. The problem is a lot deeper than this with people who refuse to recognise trans women as women. The toilet thing is the utterly ridiculous way it has shown on the surface

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 03, 2020, 07:38:02 AM
Ok. I think practical considerations are likely to trump ideological ones for actual participants.
I hope so. Alas this past few years the trans panic ideology has really flourished.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So her new crime book "Troubled Blood", written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, is about a man who dresses up as woman to kill other women. Besides the premise not being original (see: Dressed to Kill), I assume she's just trolling at this point?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2020, 12:01:30 PM
So her new crime book "Troubled Blood", written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, is about a man who dresses up as woman to kill other women. Besides the premise not being original (see: Dressed to Kill), I assume she's just trolling at this point?

So I think that ends that discussion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Other women?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/14/jk-rowling-new-book-cormoran-strike-troubled-blood-killer-dresses-woman/?fbclid=IwAR0SHU53C4qxkZ_wqVv5iT-ywuWOSNeo1JV2W9vhPYI35kuokbwOhY2zxCI

Pink News is normally pretty reputable.
Wow. :blink:

They are reporting what the Telegraph says though so hopefully she isn't that insane.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 15, 2020, 09:26:58 AM
It's a real book. She is that insane.

Well he is right in noting that it looks like all outlets reporting who the killer is are relying on that Telegraph review. Looking quickly, I couldn't find an independent source that didn't mention the Telegraph review when noting that detail.

However, it does seem like in very short order we'll know whether or not the Telegraph book reviewer decided to lie.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2020, 12:11:11 PM

So I think that ends that discussion.
Why? :)

Why is having a serial killer book so bad if it's a transvestite? Is it worst than having a white hetero serial killer?  A gay black serial killer would indicate homophobia and racism?  Does a book about muslim terrorists attacking the US means the author is islamophobic and want to convince you of his opinion?

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2020, 04:49:46 PM

Why is having a serial killer book so bad if it's a transvestite? Is it worst than having a white hetero serial killer?  A gay black serial killer would indicate homophobia and racism?  Does a book about muslim terrorists attacking the US means the author is islamophobic and want to convince you of his opinion?

Because it's a thing.  Psycho.  Silence of the Lambs.

When there's never been a transgendered or cross-dressing serial killer that I'm aware of.

Plus Rowling has been under this cloud for a few years now.  She has to know how this would be taken.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

chipwich

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2020, 04:52:58 PM

When there's never been a transgendered or cross-dressing serial killer that I'm aware of.

Plus Rowling has been under this cloud for a few years now.  She has to know how this would be taken.

You've really never heard of Ed Gein?

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2020, 04:52:58 PM

It is also because that particular scenario, a male predator passing as a woman in order to prey on other women with ease, is precisely one of the reasons she puts forward so bathroom laws and the like are not enacted.