JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on August 17, 2020, 09:21:08 AM
People who say it's not ok to punch Nazis: Do you think it's ok to fight against Islamist terrorists?

No one claims that, and the comparison is absurd.  If you think that you can punch Nazis, do you think it's okay to punch anyone whose political views you vehemently disagree with?  Or is the term "Nazi" so magical in your mind that it negates freedom of speech (not that any of these people actually are Nazis, of course)?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I am as much in favor of fighting against Nazi terrorists as I am against Islamist terrorists.

But that does not mean I am going to go up to every extremist Islamist preacher I can find and punch him in the face, any more than I am going to punch every dork doing a heil Hitler salute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I will just say, that if I were in were in house-to-house combat in Normandy 1944...I might punch a Nazi.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 17, 2020, 12:46:54 PM
I will just say, that if I were in were in house-to-house combat in Normandy 1944...I might punch a Nazi.
I feel like Battle of Cable Street is also okay to punch a Nazi.

I should be clear I would never punch a Nazi but that's because I'm weak and have never been in a fight more than any overwhelming principle :P
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2020, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: PDH on August 16, 2020, 10:02:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2020, 09:47:25 PM
I think the one situation where punching is acceptable is if you're Buzz Aldrin and the other guy is a moon landings hoaxer harassing you.

Sorry, slippery slope.  Next it's punching QAnon idiots....then birthers.  The next thing you know, 40% of the American populace will deserve to be punched.

Wadda ya mean, "next thing?"  40% of the American populace are moon landing hoaxers harassing Buzz Aldrin.  Haven't you been reading Meri's posts about how the US sucks, etc?

Yeah, well, when 40% of the country thinks that Trump is A-okay, that's a problem. I hate that so many in my country accepts his style of governing as perfectly fine and worth having for another four years. I hate that so many in my country have no issue with what he's doing to democracy here.

If that offends you, sorry not sorry.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 17, 2020, 01:11:14 PM
I though he might have been confusing you with CC. :hmm:

Nah. I regularly say that the US sucks, because it does right now. *shrugs*

This election shouldn't even be a contest. Biden should be up by 50% of the voters. He's not, and that makes me angry. It makes me embarrassed for my country. And yeah, it means that to me, right now, my country fucking sucks.

I'm okay with owning that.

Valmy

It sort of makes me realize that all the internet jerks telling me how shitty the US is might not have been wrong.  :(

Thanks America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on August 17, 2020, 01:08:41 PM
Yeah, well, when 40% of the country thinks that Trump is A-okay, that's a problem. I hate that so many in my country accepts his style of governing as perfectly fine and worth having for another four years. I hate that so many in my country have no issue with what he's doing to democracy here.

Hyperbole has never been convincing.  It doesn't offend me, it amuses me.  You and Zoupa are a couple of stuck records, wallowing in the emo.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2020, 01:28:48 PM
It sort of makes me realize that all the internet jerks telling me how shitty the US is might not have been wrong.  :(

Thanks America.

There are some shitty things happening in the US, but to argue that the country as a whole is shitty is infantile.  Infants think that the only thing that exists is the thing they are concentrating on at any given moment.   The "shitty America" people are the same: if what they are focused on this second is shitty (like a poll), then the whole country is shitty.

Cry me a river.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

It is a little annoying that some of our friends enjoy kicking dirt in our faces while we are down.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Solmyr on August 17, 2020, 09:21:08 AM
People who say it's not ok to punch Nazis: Do you think it's ok to fight against Islamist terrorists?

Of course.  :huh:

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2020, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 17, 2020, 01:08:41 PM

Hyperbole has never been convincing.  It doesn't offend me, it amuses me.  You and Zoupa are a couple of stuck records, wallowing in the emo.

:rolleyes:

Okay, grumbler

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2020, 06:58:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2020, 01:28:48 PM

Thanks America.

There are some shitty things happening in the US, but to argue that the country as a whole is shitty is infantile.  Infants think that the only thing that exists is the thing they are concentrating on at any given moment.   The "shitty America" people are the same: if what they are focused on this second is shitty (like a poll), then the whole country is shitty.

Cry me a river.

Saying some claims might not be as wrong as I thought, based on recent evidence, is not even remotely close to how you are characterizing what I am saying.

I am not saying the whole country is shitty. I don't think that. I was simply saying that a lot of the horrible things I have heard about my country seem to be bearing themselves out and I find that depressing. And those polls have, and will be, born out in election results and political policies and cultural issues. They are hardly some outlier by some random poll.

Also I am upset because I do love my country and its people, but you seem to be attacking me for hating it? Very odd. If I really thought America was shitty I would not find what is going on very upsetting, it would fit my preconcieved notions.

But hey you say I am wrong and I hope you are right. May events bear your perspective out and not my concerns.

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2020, 07:03:41 PM
It is a little annoying that some of our friends enjoy kicking dirt in our faces while we are down.

No one's enjoying this, trust me.