JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Oh cry me a river. In any case let's not exagerate, I'm the only poster who said I'm fine with punching a nazi occasionally if he's throwing a sieg heil at a blm rally. I'm not saying I'm ok with hanging him from the nearest tree. Jesus, the guy's a douche looking to provoke people.

He got a reaction alright. Hopefully he'll rethink his positions after that fistful of wisdom. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

DGuller

I think the one situation where punching is acceptable is if you're Buzz Aldrin and the other guy is a moon landings hoaxer harassing you.

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2020, 09:47:25 PM
I think the one situation where punching is acceptable is if you're Buzz Aldrin and the other guy is a moon landings hoaxer harassing you.

Sorry, slippery slope.  Next it's punching QAnon idiots....then birthers.  The next thing you know, 40% of the American populace will deserve to be punched.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on August 16, 2020, 09:28:55 PM
Oh cry me a river. In any case let's not exagerate, I'm the only poster who said I'm fine with punching a nazi occasionally if he's throwing a sieg heil at a blm rally. I'm not saying I'm ok with hanging him from the nearest tree. Jesus, the guy's a douche looking to provoke people.

He got a reaction alright. Hopefully he'll rethink his positions after that fistful of wisdom. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Not a very suble moving of the goal posts.  Back when you were full of self-righteousness, you claimed "I will condone violence against nazis every day of the week."  Now that you find the people aren't jizzing themselves in support of that position, you claim that your position is actually " I'm fine with punching a nazi occasionally if he's throwing a sieg heil at a blm rally."  (my bold)

The only thing more disgusting than a would-be internet tough guy is a would-be internet tough guy who is a total coward when challenged.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on August 16, 2020, 10:02:28 PM

Sorry, slippery slope.  Next it's punching QAnon idiots....then birthers.  The next thing you know, 40% of the American populace will deserve to be punched.

Wadda ya mean, "next thing?"  40% of the American populace are moon landing hoaxers harassing Buzz Aldrin.  Haven't you been reading Meri's posts about how the US sucks, etc?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2020, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: PDH on August 16, 2020, 10:02:28 PM

Wadda ya mean, "next thing?"  40% of the American populace are moon landing hoaxers harassing Buzz Aldrin.  Haven't you been reading Meri's posts about how the US sucks, etc?

I have been closely following American polling and 40% of the American populace approve of Donald Trump. America has worked hard to break my heart and show me that it does suck, at least 40% of them. I don't need Meri to say anything, the people of the United States are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves. They say that they approve and I will take them at their word.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2020, 10:05:19 PM

Not a very suble moving of the goal posts.  Back when you were full of self-righteousness, you claimed "I will condone violence against nazis every day of the week."  Now that you find the people aren't jizzing themselves in support of that position, you claim that your position is actually " I'm fine with punching a nazi occasionally if he's throwing a sieg heil at a blm rally."  (my bold)

The only thing more disgusting than a would-be internet tough guy is a would-be internet tough guy who is a total coward when challenged.

:D

Riiiiiiight. Go feel all good about yourself. You sure showed me!

Solmyr

People who say it's not ok to punch Nazis: Do you think it's ok to fight against Islamist terrorists?

Razgovory

Oh cry me a river. In any case let's not exagerate, I'm the only poster who said I'm fine with punching a nazi occasionally if he's throwing a sieg heil at a blm rally.

No, you aren't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

This guy was one of the first victims of the English speaking modern Left's cancel culture. Remember him? Now why any organization would outsource it's HR department to vicious, mentally disturbed bluehairs on Twitter will always remain a mystery to me but here we are. Now these deranged vermin have migrated off of their sad Tumblr blogs and into meatspace and want accolades for beating people up in the street.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

I remember a tempest in a teapot was made about that but I don't remember anything bad happening to that dude.

Just "THIS SHOWS WHY NO WOMEN GO INTO SCIENCE BECAUSE MEN WEAR NASTY SHIRTS" and then it turned out a woman gave the dude the shirt and some other stupid things happened. But it wasn't like the guy lost his job or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Legbiter lives in his own little world.  "Islamoids" and "bluehairs" roam the street looking for innocent Lutherans to devour.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2020, 10:00:48 AM
I remember a tempest in a teapot was made about that but I don't remember anything bad happening to that dude.

Just "THIS SHOWS WHY NO WOMEN GO INTO SCIENCE BECAUSE MEN WEAR NASTY SHIRTS" and then it turned out a woman gave the dude the shirt and some other stupid things happened. But it wasn't like the guy lost his job or something.
I would like to point out I know one friend that worked in a generally dressed down company (but always an implied "office appropriate"/"business casual" rule). Which was great until one guy in IT ruined it for everyone by wearing flip-flops, jorts and a silk red dragon short-sleeved shirt.

Apparently that very afternoon an email went round that they were formally moving their policy from always dressed down to always "business casual" and they specified that you were expected to wear shoes :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on August 17, 2020, 09:36:04 AM
This guy was one of the first victims of the English speaking modern Left's cancel culture. Remember him?

Someone whose name is now long forgotten was the first victim of the transatlantic slave trade; some unknown person was the first victim of Nazi tyranny, another of Stalin's purges and gulags, and another of Pol Pot's genocide.

But their fates pale before the horrors meted out to poor Matt Taylor, an ESA scientist who, after wearing a garish and obviously inappropriate shirt in broadcasting to the world a major achievement of an ESA mission, thus detracting from the significance of said mission, had to suffer the horrible indignity of not getting fired from his job, and maintaining his employment and position at the ESA as usual.

https://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2016/07/15/geotalk-matt-taylor-of-esas-rosetta-mission/

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/personal-profiles/matt-taylor

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson