Will the United States of America experience a coup in 2020?

Started by FunkMonk, June 01, 2020, 03:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the United States of America experience a coup in 2020?

I am the Senate! (Yes)
It's treason then! (No)
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one (Jaron)

FunkMonk

In light of the presidential election this year, will there be some sort of coup or attempted coup by Donald Trump or some other political entity? How will it occur?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I don't think so :hmm:

I mean who would want to take charge at a time like this anyway?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

My guess is that the US will not experience a coup or a real* coup attempt in 2020.

*Will Trump tweet a coupish message and then kinda backpedal because he's a little bitch? Quite possibly, and I don't count that as an attempted coup here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2020, 03:30:32 PM

Joe Biden, hopefully.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2020, 03:36:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2020, 03:30:32 PM

Joe Biden, hopefully.

Yeah. Boy is he screwed if he wins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

grumbler is right in the other thread. There are so many political norms and political structures, it seems unlikely that Trump could pull off a way to stay in power without winning the election. It would take a notable or successful stroke or move (in other words, a coup).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2020, 03:46:35 PM
grumbler is right in the other thread. There are so many political norms and political structures, it seems unlikely that Trump could pull off a way to stay in power without winning the election. It would take a notable or successful stroke or move (in other words, a coup).
I don't think Trump will try to hold on to power without winning an election, but the definition of winning an election may be flexible.  Just imagine how you would act if Trump were re-elected as a result of something that you don't have 100% confidence in being on the up and up, and then imagine that's at very least how GOP sympathizers might feel in the flip case.  They wouldn't be supporting a coup attempt by sticking with Trump, they would be fighting a coup attempt, a Democratic plot to falsify the election results in the Midwest.  Let's also not discount the Russians, I imagine they would be going all-in on putting as many powder kegs under the US foundation as possible, using all means at their disposal.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 03:33:54 PM
My guess is that the US will not experience a coup or a real* coup attempt in 2020.

*Will Trump tweet a coupish message and then kinda backpedal because he's a little bitch? Quite possibly, and I don't count that as an attempted coup here.

This seems most likely.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I think there may be attempted coups in some of the states.  Trump loses, his supporters occupy a state capital building and claim to be setting up a new government that will prevent the state from sending electors to the electoral college.  Trump will praise these people and the state leaders be hesitant to call national guard or law enforcement to clear out the the pro trump militia guys.  The result will be months long standoff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Of course not. 

I should add that, in the extremely unlikely scenario where a coup does happen, it is ultra important for everybody to keep calm and carry on as usual.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2020, 03:46:35 PM

I haven't heard that line since 2016

Zanza

Not a coup, but further grave damage to political institutions and questions on legitimacy of election outcomes are possible, even likely.