Will the United States of America experience a coup in 2020?

Started by FunkMonk, June 01, 2020, 03:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the United States of America experience a coup in 2020?

I am the Senate! (Yes)
It's treason then! (No)
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one (Jaron)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I'd point out that my argument in the other thread was not that Trump would not try to pull something, just that cancelling elections would gain him nothing, under any of the scenarios presented.  He cannot be president after 12:00 noon on January 20, 2021 without winning the election, and the rest of the US government knows it and won't follow him in some suicide pact to pretend that he is still president.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

Before the last few days I would have said no, certainly not. I'm thinking now though that he and his people are pretty far gone down some sort of cult mindset and while I wouldn't anticipate a coup in the traditional sense, I think there will likely be some pretty far fetched shenanigans that Republicans will support. I'm not looking forward to November.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 01, 2020, 03:28:27 PM
In light of the presidential election this year, will there be some sort of coup or attempted coup by Donald Trump or some other political entity? How will it occur?

Eh, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Yeah right? Let's see if Joe can win the election first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

I have said in the other thread why I think waiting for things to happen to start thinking about them is a bad idea. It's a recipe for paralysis, apathy, or being taken completely aback by the normalization of what was once unthinkable.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 01, 2020, 11:31:08 PM
I have said in the other thread why I think waiting for things to happen to start thinking about them is a bad idea. It's a recipe for paralysis, apathy, or being taken completely aback by the normalization of what was once unthinkable.

I mean I expect him to act like an idiot and boast and bluster and do very little because he has a 30 year track record of that sort of thing. Will it be damaging and immensely destabilizing and leave a long negative legacy on the body politic? Yes. But ultimately he will not actually take action to seize power if he loses.

That is what I expect.

But it is not like Joe is guaranteed to win.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 01, 2020, 05:20:48 PM
This was interesting. From December 2019:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/12/17/half-of-active-duty-service-members-are-unhappy-with-trump-new-military-times-poll-shows/

Ouch! Is this real? So more than 40% had a favorable view after almost 3 years of Trump demonstrating complete ineptitude and taking huge dumps on America and being Russia's bitch? OK a coup may be likelier than I thought...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Is striking that people fall back on the logic that it cannot happen because US political norms and institutions are strong enough to withstand the challenge.  Have the people making those arguments  missed the last 3.5 years?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2020, 11:52:16 AM

Is striking that people fall back on the logic that it cannot happen because US political norms and institutions are strong enough to withstand the challenge.  Have the people making those arguments  missed the last 3.5 years?

Try 26 years. Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh started this stupid populist ball rolling.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 02, 2020, 12:17:49 PM

Try 26 years. Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh started this stupid populist ball rolling.

Actually it goes back a little further. The dinosaurs developed the first walnut-sized brains.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 12:19:19 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 02, 2020, 12:17:49 PM

Actually it goes back a little further. The dinosaurs developed the first walnut-sized brains.

And the Dinosaurs created America! :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.