UK extends visa rights to 3 million Hong Kongers

Started by Sheilbh, May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 03:00:58 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 01, 2021, 01:49:44 AM
Mono, suppose you are willing to live and work according to Beijing's rules, what does Hong Kong offer that you can't get even better in Shanghai? Why would the best choose Hong Kong? The unique advantage Hong Kong had was rule of law.

Well, the rule of law is still the strongest in Hong Kong compared with the rest of China. 

How long will that be true? As HK laws become mainland laws won't finance leave the city?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2021, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 01, 2021, 01:49:44 AM
Mono, suppose you are willing to live and work according to Beijing's rules, what does Hong Kong offer that you can't get even better in Shanghai? Why would the best choose Hong Kong? The unique advantage Hong Kong had was rule of law.

Well, the rule of law is still the strongest in Hong Kong compared with the rest of China. 

How long will that be true? As HK laws become mainland laws won't finance leave the city?

It is not like there is a choice.  We all know what happened in 2019.  At least half the population basically revolted.  Of course, the best course of action was maintaining the pre-2019 status quo, but the rioters at least succeeded in making sure that option was not sustainable.  Not even Beijing could choose that option anymore. 

No, there were only two options.  Either give in to their demands, or take strong measures to rein them in. 

I am not too worried about finance leaving the city.  In a lot of ways, Singapore is more draconian than Hong Kong, and finance stays there.  If you want a finance base somewhere in Greater China, HK is still the best bet. 

HVC

It's not the draconian laws that will make finance leave, it's the lack of faith in chinese laws. That's what's made HK attractive. Access to the asian market with the assurance of dependable laws.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2021, 11:04:19 PM
It's not the draconian laws that will make finance leave, it's the lack of faith in chinese laws. That's what's made HK attractive. Access to the asian market with the assurance of dependable laws.

I have no idea why you keep insisting that HK now uses Mainland laws.  The Basic Law has a provision that allows Beijing to impose any law on Hong Kong.  That is not new.  It is there from the beginning.  Beijing introduced a National Security Law to combat very obvious riots and civil unrest.  Not to screw the fund managers.  If I were a fund manager, I wouldn't be too concerned. 

Otherwise, most things remain unchanged.  Life goes on. 

Threviel

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 10:55:25 PMIf you want a finance base somewhere in Greater China, HK is still the best bet.

Where does Taipei place itself in this? Is that an option?

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 10:08:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2021, 08:42:17 PM
If you are content with being politically apathetic,

Do you know such a person because that person is not you :lol:

You are pretty fanatically partisan. You even use slurs for your opponents, I don't even do that.

I have strong views, but I don't act on them  :bowler:

You don't have to, your side is winning.

Monoriu

Quote from: Threviel on February 02, 2021, 01:41:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 10:55:25 PMIf you want a finance base somewhere in Greater China, HK is still the best bet.

Where does Taipei place itself in this? Is that an option?

Not a chance  :lol:  Hong Kong still controls the bulk of the capital flows of China.  That's why HK is so important to Beijing.  No way Beijing will allow Taipei such a level of control over its finances. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Maladict on February 02, 2021, 03:18:47 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 10:08:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2021, 08:42:17 PM
If you are content with being politically apathetic,

Do you know such a person because that person is not you :lol:

You are pretty fanatically partisan. You even use slurs for your opponents, I don't even do that.

I have strong views, but I don't act on them  :bowler:

You don't have to, your side is winning.

I strongly believe that one person has no way of influencing the world.  The only proper way for me to interact with the world is through monetary transactions.  Otherwise I cannot, and should not influence anybody.  The world is like a Super Mario Bros game.  Essentially, I have to play by the programmers' rules. 

The point that I am trying to make is, you know precious little about me  :P

Duque de Bragança

We just need somebody to hack or mod a Super Mario Bros Games then.  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 02, 2021, 04:59:33 AM

We are mere spectators :contract:

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2021, 04:56:34 AM

I strongly believe that one person has no way of influencing the world.  The only proper way for me to interact with the world is through monetary transactions.  Otherwise I cannot, and should not influence anybody.  The world is like a Super Mario Bros game.  Essentially, I have to play by the programmers' rules. 

If you cannot influence anybody or anything, there's no reason to be concerned about what you should or should not do, it wouldn't make a difference.

And the only thing I know about you is how you present yourself here. That's entirely within your influence.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maladict on February 02, 2021, 05:11:46 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2021, 04:56:34 AM

If you cannot influence anybody or anything, there's no reason to be concerned about what you should or should not do, it wouldn't make a difference.

And the only thing I know about you is how you present yourself here. That's entirely within your influence.

Exactly.  Why vote when I cannot influence the outcome?  That's why I don't vote.  I firmly believe that my one vote will never make any difference.  It is also morally wrong for me to influence others politically.  Even if my one vote may decide Trump vs Biden (I have a strong preference for Biden), I won't vote.  Because it is wrong for me to do so. 

And you know what, I post here.  In an obscure English forum 99.99999% of Hong Kongers have not heard of.  There are tons of forums in HK.  Have you ever considered why I post here instead of the HK forums? 

To ensure I don't influence anybody in Hong Kong :contract:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on February 02, 2021, 05:04:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 02, 2021, 04:59:33 AM

We are mere spectators :contract:

Mere Spectators?
If I am to believe Debord, we are in the Society of the Spectacle, anyways.  :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Society_of_the_Spectacle

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2021, 11:14:38 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2021, 11:04:19 PM

I have no idea why you keep insisting that HK now uses Mainland laws.  The Basic Law has a provision that allows Beijing to impose any law on Hong Kong.  That is not new.  It is there from the beginning.  Beijing introduced a National Security Law to combat very obvious riots and civil unrest.  Not to screw the fund managers.  If I were a fund manager, I wouldn't be too concerned. 

Otherwise, most things remain unchanged.  Life goes on. 
Its true Hong Kong has long been on shaky ground.
However before recent events the was an element of trust with China. A belief that "Sure, they could swoop in at any moment and alter the laws in their favour, but they won't, they're happy with the status quo, they value money over ensuring authoritarian control over one small city.".
Recent events have shown the flaw in this belief.
The question then becomes who is trusted more, the Singapore government (or whoever else) or the Chinese government.

With the general global economic movements away from China towards SE Asia picking up speed Singapore is really well placed for the future.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah - it's not freedom that's the issue for companies or funds, it's certainty and predicitibility.
Let's bomb Russia!