0 (0%)
The Call of the Wild
0 (0%)
Lord of the Flies
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 09:00:57 AM
I kinda get the others being fanfic, but not Lord of the Flies. Is it because of it being a name for the devil? It's mostly a tangential allegory in the story. One of my favorite books, incidentally.

But given the list, I've to go with Dante's Inferno. Too many juicy cameos to ignore.
I saw it on this list.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/159041-11-classics-that-are-secretly-fanfiction

QuoteYou could argue that Lord of the Flies is not so much fanfiction as parody, but there's no question that William Golding used the book The Coral Island as a starting point for Lord of the Flies. The Coral Island is a jolly children's book about three English boys marooned on an island, who have a wonderful time and defeat the evil natives with their superior Christian values. Golding disagreed with that simplistic, colonialist angle. He lifted several of the characters and wrote Lord of the Flies as a counterpoint: what if the evil the children encountered was not external, but internal?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
I don't get how Call of the Wild is "fanfiction".  It was inspired by Jack London's time spent in the Yukon during the gold rush but was an original story.

Edit: Jack London was actually there in the gold rush.  I've been to his cabin in Dawson City (it was moved there some time later after London became famous).   Are you trying to say that author's can't be inspired by their own personal experiences?
QuoteWhen you think of famous authors who wrote about dogs in the Yukon in the early 1900s, the name Egerton R. Young usually doesn't spring to mind. But Jack London was accused of plagiarizing much of The Call of the Wild from Young's My Dogs in the Northlands. What makes it fanfic instead of out-and-out stealing? Well, when accused of copying the other book, Jack London agreed that he did steal a lot—and he also changed and added a lot, because all fiction steals to some degree (it's a bit of a shady argument, but you get the idea). If only Jack London had lived long enough to go on a Twitter rant about why fanfiction is legit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 10:57:09 AM
I think fanfic is borrowing somebody else's popular characters and create a new story with them. I love he put in the Aeneid because a lot of Classical epics/drama/history are essentially fanfics. These were presented orally so having somebody famous show up in your story and do some kickass shit was a sure way to draw in a live audience.

The difference with a straight adaptation of somebody else's work, imho, is that the story should essentially be a new one.

I basically stole the list from one I saw on the internet. :o

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 09:32:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
I don't get how Call of the Wild is "fanfiction".  It was inspired by Jack London's time spent in the Yukon during the gold rush but was an original story.

Edit: Jack London was actually there in the gold rush.  I've been to his cabin in Dawson City (it was moved there some time later after London became famous).   Are you trying to say that author's can't be inspired by their own personal experiences?
QuoteWhen you think of famous authors who wrote about dogs in the Yukon in the early 1900s, the name Egerton R. Young usually doesn't spring to mind. But Jack London was accused of plagiarizing much of The Call of the Wild from Young's My Dogs in the Northlands. What makes it fanfic instead of out-and-out stealing? Well, when accused of copying the other book, Jack London agreed that he did steal a lot—and he also changed and added a lot, because all fiction steals to some degree (it's a bit of a shady argument, but you get the idea). If only Jack London had lived long enough to go on a Twitter rant about why fanfiction is legit.

So the source for "Jack London was accused of plagiarizing much of The Call of the Wild" is a single link, which takes us to a Google Books link in Finnish.  Where (I think, I don't know Finnish) the actual book itself isn't actually available.

:yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 09:31:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 09:00:57 AM
I kinda get the others being fanfic, but not Lord of the Flies. Is it because of it being a name for the devil? It's mostly a tangential allegory in the story. One of my favorite books, incidentally.

But given the list, I've to go with Dante's Inferno. Too many juicy cameos to ignore.
I saw it on this list.

QuoteYou could argue that Lord of the Flies is not so much fanfiction as parody, but there's no question that William Golding used the book The Coral Island as a starting point for Lord of the Flies. The Coral Island is a jolly children's book about three English boys marooned on an island, who have a wonderful time and defeat the evil natives with their superior Christian values. Golding disagreed with that simplistic, colonialist angle. He lifted several of the characters and wrote Lord of the Flies as a counterpoint: what if the evil the children encountered was not external, but internal?

By that measure Rio Bravo is a High Noon fan film.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 23, 2020, 07:28:10 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
. . . Lavinia's big scene is when her hair catches fire.

You don't see that much anymore.

Michael Jackson is a hard act to follow.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 09:33:33 PM
I think fanfic is borrowing somebody else's popular characters and create a new story with them. I love he put in the Aeneid because a lot of Classical epics/drama/history are essentially fanfics. These were presented orally so having somebody famous show up in your story and do some kickass shit was a sure way to draw in a live audience.

The difference with a straight adaptation of somebody else's work, imho, is that the story should essentially be a new one.

I basically stole the list from one I saw on the internet. :o

So your poll is a work of fan fiction. ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2020, 04:12:59 PM
Anyhow I'd pick Tennyson's Ulysses; as I grow older I find myself identifying with the ageing Ulysses.

Although if you follow the Samuel Butler (among others) line that the Odyssey is a later work written by a different author than the Iliad; than the Odyssey itself would also be a work of fan fiction.

Sheilbh

Yeah I quite like that.

I think I'd go for Paradise Lost - in terms of taking someone else's characters and running with it.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 07:29:07 AM
The Aeneid is the best

I'm curious why you picked that one.  The second half of the work, I thought, was mostly forgettable.  Turnus isn't much of an antagonist and Lavinia's big scene is when her hair catches fire.

Well, I love Roman history and I've just always really enjoyed it when I've read it. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because the Trojans were always objectively the good guys and it's nice to see them finally come out on top.

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Oh there's lots more reasons. Making Dido a leader in Civ is one.  :lol:

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2020, 05:32:18 AM

Does she automatically hate the Romans?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2020, 05:32:18 AM

It also supplies the theme of Purcell's greatest opera "Dido and Aenes" which, in my opinion, the only English language opera masterpiece before Gilbert and Sullivan.  I do really like the first six books, (the arrival at Carthage until the Katabasis); it's the second six books that I think are dull (arrival in the mainland of Italy to the final duel.)  (I have only read it in translation, though.)

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point