The Three Musketeers
0 (0%)
The Call of the Wild
0 (0%)
Lord of the Flies
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I was going to say Wicked but you went broader.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 23, 2020, 08:48:30 AM
I was going to say Wicked but you went broader.
Oh, that's a good option. I was thinking mainly the classics, but it definitely deserves a spot on the list.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

50 Shades.

It made money. Lot's of money.
PDH!

celedhring

I kinda get the others being fanfic, but not Lord of the Flies. Is it because of it being a name for the devil? It's mostly a tangential allegory in the story. One of my favorite books, incidentally.

But given the list, I've to go with Dante's Inferno. Too many juicy cameos to ignore.

Josquius

If we're being smart arses then surely practically everything since the dawn of ever is fanfiction?
The bible for instance  took from earlier mythologies.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I don't get how Call of the Wild is "fanfiction".  It was inspired by Jack London's time spent in the Yukon during the gold rush but was an original story.

Edit: Jack London was actually there in the gold rush.  I've been to his cabin in Dawson City (it was moved there some time later after London became famous).   Are you trying to say that author's can't be inspired by their own personal experiences?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah I'm kind of interested in what fan fiction is based on that list? Where's the difference between it and "inspired by" or "adapted from"? Especially when you're dealing with I'd say definitely pre-Romantic texts where there's a very different concept of authoriship and what the writer is and does. Interesting poll.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I think fanfic is borrowing somebody else's popular characters and create a new story with them. I love he put in the Aeneid because a lot of Classical epics/drama/history are essentially fanfics. These were presented orally so having somebody famous show up in your story and do some kickass shit was a sure way to draw in a live audience.

The difference with a straight adaptation of somebody else's work, imho, is that the story should essentially be a new one.

Syt

I'll go with fanfic in a more modern sense: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 07:29:07 AM
The Aeneid is the best

I'm curious why you picked that one.  The second half of the work, I thought, was mostly forgettable.  Turnus isn't much of an antagonist and Lavinia's big scene is when her hair catches fire.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

I like the ones where Kirk bangs Spock.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Anyhow I'd pick Tennyson's Ulysses; as I grow older I find myself identifying with the ageing Ulysses.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2020, 04:12:12 PM
I like the ones where Kirk bangs Spock.

You know the Bones-Spock ones would have better dramatic tension.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2020, 07:29:07 AM
The Aeneid is the best
. . . Lavinia's big scene is when her hair catches fire.

You don't see that much anymore.  It's pretty much all pants on fire these days.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson