A Simpler Life? - Society / Economy after the Virus

Started by mongers, March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:00:01 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2020, 08:29:49 PM
They eat out 100%.

Everybody in Hong Kong must be incredibly wealthy.
I've limited experience but know someone who lived in South-East Asia for a while and it's more that eating out is cheap. The kitchen is the least important room in your flat. People do home-cook but there's always restaurants or street food stalls as a very affordable option.

Edit: I believe it's similar in other bits of East Asia but I don't know - it sounds dreamy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 01:01:52 PM
They eat out 100%.

I've limited experience but know someone who lived in South-East Asia for a while and it's more that eating out is cheap. The kitchen is the least important room in your flat. People do home-cook but there's always restaurants or street food stalls as a very affordable option.

Edit: I believe it's similar in other bits of East Asia but I don't know - it sounds dreamy.

I mean that might be true in small town Thailand but we are talking about one of the most expensive cities in the world :lol:

Besides even if I did nothing but eat super cheap fast food, besides inching myself closer to death, it would still add thousands of dollars a month to my budget to do it every day for all meals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:04:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 01:01:52 PM
They eat out 100%.

I mean that might be true in small town Thailand but we are talking about one of the most expensive cities in the world :lol:

Besides even if I did nothing but eat super cheap fast food, besides inching myself closer to death, it would still add thousands of dollars a month to my budget to do it every day for all meals.

"Super cheap fast food" in China, at least, is nothing like what you're thinking here in the states. Jeremy and I ate on roughly $15 a day for the two of us while we were in Beijing and Shanghai. It was less in Wulingyuan. And it was healthy food with fresh vegetables, etc.

Valmy

Hey those hamburgers have tomatos and lettuce :P

I just thought Hong Kong was this big international city like New York or Tokyo and thus had prices that were comparable to those cities.

I am sure food was cheaper in Champaign as well but that doesn't mean it is super cheap to eat out in Chicago...every day for every meal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:11:59 PM

I just thought Hong Kong was this big international city like New York or Tokyo and thus had prices that were comparable to those cities.

I am sure food was cheaper in Champaign as well but that doesn't mean it is super cheap to eat out in Chicago...every day for every meal.

Of course there are really expensive restaurants in Hong Kong. And Beijing and Shanghai. But the average restaurant is crazy cheap. Jeremy and I were getting six rolls for breakfast for roughly $2. It's not like in the US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:04:08 PM
He was in Bangkok (which is cheap) and Singapore (which ain't). I don't see why Hong Kong would be wildly different than Singapore.

QuoteBesides even if I did nothing but eat super cheap fast food, besides inching myself closer to death, it would still add thousands of dollars a month to my budget to do it every day for all meals.
Sure but in our culture eating out and even fast food or take away are treats, not a daily thing so pricing reflects that. If your culture emphasises street food and eating out as almost a daily necessity, something you will do several times a week then the pricing will reflect that. I mean Singapore famously has the world's cheapest Michelin star restaurant where you can get the chicken and rice signature dish for $3.

It doesn't stop there being very expensive high end restaurants, which Mono loves, but there's range that I've not seen anywhere in the West (possible exception: Mexico - theory, street food is key).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Definitely it's a great thing I found in Japan that in any decent sized city you can find a range of food for all price ranges.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 01:32:14 PM
Sure but in our culture eating out and even fast food or take away are treats, not a daily thing so pricing reflects that.

Well that is just not true. Tons of people would LOVE to eat out or take out for every meal. But generally, in our culture, that is a great way to go broke. In fact the main way people change their lifestyle to get out of debt is just to stop eating out.

It is kind of sad to know that all that is completely unnecessary and we are all just being overcharged like suckers.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:44:06 PM
Sure but in our culture eating out and even fast food or take away are treats, not a daily thing so pricing reflects that.

Well that is just not true. Tons of people would LOVE to eat out or take out for every meal. But generally, in our culture, that is a great way to go broke. In fact the main way people change their lifestyle to get out of debt is just to stop eating out.

It is kind of sad to know that all that is completely unnecessary and we are all just being overcharged like suckers.

Um, how long have you lived in the US? I mean, this is pretty much true of most things here.

Traveling for a month in Europe cost me less the first two weeks (Spain and Italy) than it did for a month of groceries in the US. I mean, I got breakfast daily of a croissant and coffee for just under $3. Lunch would run me around $5. Dinner was a splurge of around $7 or $8 most nights, which included a glass of wine. (Most expensive night was when cel and I went out for my birthday and there was much wine. :D )

HVC

I only have experience from Macau and Vietnam, but the big cities basically have two types of restaurants. Expensive ones like the west for tourists who don't know better and locals who want to show off, and then cheap ones with the exact same food for locals and tourists who know better. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:52:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2020, 01:44:06 PM

Um, how long have you lived in the US? I mean, this is pretty much true of most things here.

Traveling for a month in Europe cost me less the first two weeks (Spain and Italy) than it did for a month of groceries in the US. I mean, I got breakfast daily of a croissant and coffee for just under $3. Lunch would run me around $5. Dinner was a splurge of around $7 or $8 most nights, which included a glass of wine. (Most expensive night was when cel and I went out for my birthday and there was much wine. :D )

Okay but that's not generally true of large European cities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2020, 01:52:41 PM

I only have experience from Macau and Vietnam, but the big cities basically have two types of restaurants. Expensive ones like the west for tourists who don't know better and locals who want to show off, and then cheap ones with the exact same food for locals and tourists who know better. 

I mean "like the west", most Americans are not going out to expensive restaurants :lol:

But just feeding your family at McDonalds every day can get pretty expensive.

HVC

yeah I wonder how much of our fast food culture (and pricing) is based on the fact that franchises way outnumber our mom and pop places. I don't see restaurants in like Asia (or Europe) taking home the same cash as a McDonalds franchisee

*edit* hmm, I guess maybe not outnumber? market share would maybe be a better guage
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 02:10:06 PM

Okay but that's not generally true of large European cities.

I was in Barcelona, Naples, and Rome. :mellow: