A Simpler Life? - Society / Economy after the Virus

Started by mongers, March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Typically crises seem to cause people to be willing to go along with infringements they normally would not support. And typically those things far outlast the crisis. We're still waiting for the patriot act to go away twenty years later, Afghan war, etc. It's always a bad sign when something passes in Congress with overwhelming bipartisan or unanimous support.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2020, 10:57:52 AM
Air traffic will be back before land borders open as it is very easy to track. Germany will allow East German farmhands for the harvest, but only via plane, so that they can be segregated easily.

Yeah that's another thing, how are the big five Western European countries going to get the harvest in now that the cheap seasonal labor pool is banned from travelling? Conscript the idle service & office workers for farm duty?  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

I'm looking forward to workplaces changing. Who is still going to think those horrible open communal office spaces are a good idea after this? The decline of cube farms should help everyone's' sanity too. I'm not sure though. Squeeze's point wasn't far off. The impulse will be to get right back to how it was. We blew that real estate bubble right the hell back up. We might need something like this to recur before people get the point.

I have to admit I'm a bit amused seeing extroverted people going apeshit being stuck outside of their comfort zone, when introverts have to go outside theirs all the time in the extroverted world just to have careers and everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 07, 2020, 01:04:12 PM
I'm looking forward to workplaces changing. Who is still going to think those horrible open communal office spaces are a good idea after this? The decline of cube farms should help everyone's' sanity too. I'm not sure though. Squeeze's point wasn't far off. The impulse will be to get right back to how it was. We blew that real estate bubble right the hell back up. We might need something like this to recur before people get the point.

Yeah would be nice but I am afraid we'll back to the office spaces.

I have to admit I'm a bit amused seeing extroverted people going apeshit being stuck outside of their comfort zone, when introverts have to go outside theirs all the time in the extroverted world just to have careers and everything.

Ain't that the truth.  :lol:

mongers

What assumptions from the pre-virus era are people here still operating on and what have you given up?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Oddly enough I'm a lot less caught up in the issues of the day, and spending more time doing things I want/choose to do. It's not bad at all.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 13, 2020, 10:27:32 AM

Oddly enough I'm a lot less caught up in the issues of the day, and spending more time doing things I want/choose to do. It's not bad at all.

Yes, that's a good outlook.

Currently I'm only watching the news twice a day, plus languish browsing, no other social media.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 10:16:51 AM
What assumptions from the pre-virus era are people here still operating on and what have you given up?

First thing that came to mind was that I feel vindicated in my near-obsessive handwashing habits
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2020, 03:03:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2020, 10:16:51 AM

First thing that came to mind was that I feel vindicated in my near-obsessive handwashing habits

:lol:

Yeah, there's got to be a lot of OCD types out there saying I told you so.