News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bans on price gouging

Started by DGuller, March 14, 2020, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Yi brought up a point in the coronavirus thread about price gouging, and how crackdowns on price gouging can lead to shelves unnecessarily emptying out.  Let's start a rational discussion about the pros and cons of banning price gouging during a situation like this, and whether banning the practice helps or hurts in the aggregate. 

What does Languish think?  Are these bans necessary for the proper functioning of society, or do they just lead to the further breakdown of supply chains during a crisis?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2020, 12:54:18 PM
Define price gouging.
There is a probably a tedious legal and economic definition, but let's just say that you know it when you see it.  Selling soap for $1.50 instead of $0.99 is not it, selling it for $5 is.

Barrister

Count me on the "it's not price gouging, its the free market at work" side of things.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

and Yi argues that capitalism isn't about screwing someone over.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2020, 01:02:07 PM
Count me on the "it's not price gouging, its the free market at work" side of things.
I think most people will concede that free market as a general concept leads to better social outcomes in steady state (though they may debate about how often market failures happen and what to do about them).  However, is it still reasonable to assume that this holds in a situation where panic can feed upon itself, and where people either individually or collectively can become highly irrational?  Honest question, I don't know the answer, or whether this has been studied professionally.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2020, 01:02:55 PM

You have not made a convincing case that a single person buying up thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer at $0.99/each during a crisis is a good thing. How is that not screwing people over?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2020, 01:08:11 PM

You have not made a convincing case that a single person buying up thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer at $0.99/each during a crisis is a good thing. How is that not screwing people over?
I think many people do not realize that cornering the market is actually an anti-free-market activity.  Free market doesn't mean that anything goes, is still requires the government to enforce certain laws to prevent anti-competitive practices.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2020, 01:08:11 PM

Oh, it is too. It's all Capitalism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

In a state of emergency the free market is hardly free.

I can't choose to go to the cheaper supermarket at the other side of town.

Josquius

The free market is like fire.
Necessary to keep you warm.
But it needs to be properly controlled and harnessed
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 02:51:18 PM
The free market is like fire.
Necessary to keep you warm.
But it needs to be properly controlled and harassed

Fire is rather simplistic.

"The free market is like a fission reactor..."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The "free market" is a theoretical concept that does not exist in the real world.  It is the economic equivalent of "perfect vacuum" or "free will;" useful for studying theory, but not the basis for an appeal in the practical reality.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!