And we're back!

Main Menu

Bans on price gouging

Started by DGuller, March 14, 2020, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

HK's shortages of toilet paper and hygiene products lasted for about three weeks.  After three weeks, supermarkets were flooded with toilet paper.  I can find almost any product I need now, except maybe facemasks.  I can still find them, just not too easily and not without substantial increases in price. 

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2020, 07:53:48 PM
HK's shortages of toilet paper and hygiene products lasted for about three weeks.  After three weeks, supermarkets were flooded with toilet paper.  I can find almost any product I need now, except maybe facemasks.  I can still find them, just not too easily and not without substantial increases in price.

Your not from 'Murica  are you. Don't doubt the resolve of our obtuseness.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2020, 07:53:48 PM

Of course people in HK have limited space in their apartments; Americans could stash 1000s of toilet-rolls in their larger houses should they wish to be that stupid  :yeah:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Here is a case study: my dad tells me that in his Russian-ish neighborhood, masks are sold and available, in a store selling nuts of all places.  He was able to buy some.  I drove over there and confirmed that this is true, and I bought a 20-pack pack for myself and my sister, as well as a box of gloves.  I could quickly see why they were available without flying off the shelves: a pack of 20 masks sold for $22.  I don't know how fair a price that was, but next to them were small bottles of sanitizer for $16.99, so I'm guessing the masks in normal times go for less.

So, are these nut peddlers scumbags?  Or are they people making sure that my elderly dad with a heart condition can go buy groceries with some partial level of protection, surrounded by people who also can wear that partial level of protection?  I've got no problem with them, no one else had anything on offer, I just hope these masks didn't come from some Russian mafia raid on a plane meant for Europe. :unsure:  :ph34r: