Nay
19 (79.2%)
Only if Jaron is invited
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on March 13, 2020, 06:22:42 PM

Most airlines are giving refunds.

Postpone at least a month, probably two, if possible.

From what I've been reading those hit by Trump's travel ban are not getting a refund.

If we postpone I'll probably push for a full year. I can't risk having to postpone a second time.

Tamas

I think postponing is a no-brainer.

Zanza

I just got a flight cancellation and only get the option to change my booking free of charge, no refund.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on March 14, 2020, 03:51:00 AM
I just got a flight cancellation and only get the option to change my booking free of charge, no refund.

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I wonder if you can book a year ahead.

Zanza

By the way, they banned private gatherings of more than 50 persons here, so I guess this could happen to you too soonish.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 14, 2020, 02:06:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2020, 06:27:55 PM
For overseas travel the only thing is to hope really. Mid April I would say is perhaps a little late, things may be getting back to normal by then, but I expect early April flights to be cancelled.
I have a trip to Jersey planned mid April and though I'm holding off on booking hotels or anything l think the trip will happen.

Late April will make these days look mild.

As others said, have the ceremony done in an intimate way with minimal attendance, postpone big celebration to July.

I'm not so sure. I can't see the world staying in full lockdown for long. The virus will spread and get worse but I think airlines may start doing the sums and realising they have to fly again
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 05:20:24 AM
I'm not so sure. I can't see the world staying in full lockdown for long. The virus will spread and get worse but I think airlines may start doing the sums and realising they have to fly again
It's probably better than them having to fly empty planes to keep their slots though.

But yeah I think this will be a long issue. I really want a holiday (because I had to cut my last one short) but I don't think it's particularly plausible this side of summer, and I'm already worrying about my September trip (which is booked). God-willing, it'll all move quicker than that and everyone gets to enjoy some sun somewhere they want.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I can see some cynicism from the airlines. Once corona becomes a widespread thing and the prospect of them getting the blame for people catching it fades away, the government cuts back on the economy destroying lockdown rhetoric, etc... Then they will stop cancelling flights and run to schedule, fully expecting half their ticket holders to not show up.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 05:20:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 14, 2020, 02:06:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2020, 06:27:55 PM
For overseas travel the only thing is to hope really. Mid April I would say is perhaps a little late, things may be getting back to normal by then, but I expect early April flights to be cancelled.
I have a trip to Jersey planned mid April and though I'm holding off on booking hotels or anything l think the trip will happen.

Late April will make these days look mild.

As others said, have the ceremony done in an intimate way with minimal attendance, postpone big celebration to July.

The UK government said a couple of days ago that we will be where Italy is now in 4 weeks time. That's mid-April, mate. And Italy is nowhere near wrapping this thing up.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 05:27:48 AM
I can see some cynicism from the airlines. Once corona becomes a widespread thing and the prospect of them getting the blame for people catching it fades away, the government cuts back on the economy destroying lockdown rhetoric, etc... Then they will stop cancelling flights and run to schedule, fully expecting half their ticket holders to not show up.

Why does the government cut back on the economy destroying lockdown rhetoric once it becomes a widespread thing?

Maladict

I'll take the Languish mandate into consideration :P

I'd be surprised if there's any serious objection to postponing, but I'm finding the boomer generation even more stubborn than expected.
Until the government cancelled all events two days ago, my 70 year old dad with severe asthma insisted on going to some big fair with the grandkids  :bleeding:

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2020, 06:06:11 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 05:27:48 AM

Why does the government cut back on the economy destroying lockdown rhetoric once it becomes a widespread thing?
Because there's no point. Once everyone is infected then the delay stage is done.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 08:14:54 AM
Because there's no point. Once everyone is infected then the delay stage is done.

Makes sense.  But then I don't get how airlines resuming flights is cynical.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2020, 08:18:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 08:14:54 AM

Makes sense.  But then I don't get how airlines resuming flights is cynical.
In the sense that they will do it at the first opportunity, fully expecting most people not to take them due to health warnings still in action, as it saves having to refund ticket prices.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 08:41:17 AM
In the sense that they will do it at the first opportunity, fully expecting most people not to take them due to health warnings still in action, as it saves having to refund ticket prices.

I think I've got it.  As the corona scare diminishes, customers will buy a bunch of tickets, then come to their senses and realize it's still not safe, not travel after all, and the airlines will make a killing.

Leaving aside the issue that this is not exactly the same thing as everyone on the planet already having been infected and therefore either dead or immune, why is the scenario you describe a case of airlines being cynical and not customers being dumbasses?