News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus. Over reaction or not?

Started by Josephus, March 09, 2020, 11:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think governments are over -reacting to coronavirus?

No. Better safe than sorry.
20 (74.1%)
Meh...it's just a new strain of the flu.
6 (22.2%)
People don't count. It's about the economy. We need people out and about buying shit
0 (0%)
If it kills Jaron--is that so bd?
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Richard Hakluyt

I think we will get to see which approach works best as time goes by; each country is adopting different measures after all. There is going to be so much hindsight in 2021  :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 09, 2020, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: fromtia on March 09, 2020, 11:49:29 AM
Agree with everyone else. Individuals who hoard toilet paper and plan for a Charlton Heston Omega Man type outcome are being a bit melodramatic. Because its a horrible virus and new and it kills old people fairly reliably, the right thing for national governments to do is to over react, economy be damned, and contain it and push it back. It seems like the Chinese have had the most success.
Although I still have a slight conspiracy about China.

I am suspicious that it basically got very out of hand in Wuhan with local officials covering it up/dealing with it locally, before they decided to inform their bosses/national government before Chinese New Year when it couldn't be kept local any longer. By which point it was probably too late.

It is an interesting display of the strengths and weaknesses of the Chinese system. Local third-rate officials fail to send the bad news up to the top because they are frightened of their leaders; but once it was all known incredible discipline and rapid deployment of countermeasures. I'm not sure we (the UK for example) are going to be able to replicate that discipline.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2020, 11:54:54 AM... or climate change.

I've never had any problem with switching up the entire planet's energy mix purely out of precaution. I just don't need the endless hysterics from doomsday Thunbergian mental cases. I need engineers and 100 years. And as you can see climate change is not the only thing we need to pay attention to.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 12:03:40 PM
I just don't need the endless hysterics from doomsday Thunbergian mental cases. I need engineers and 100 years. And as you can see climate change is not the only thing we need to pay attention to.

Ok but without the doomsayers are you going to get your engineers and resources? Somebody has to generate the political pressure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2020, 12:05:41 PM
I just don't need the endless hysterics from doomsday Thunbergian mental cases. I need engineers and 100 years. And as you can see climate change is not the only thing we need to pay attention to.

Ok but without the doomsayers are you going to get your engineers and resources? Somebody has to generate the political pressure.

Except they are counter-productive. You can only predict imminent doomsday so many times before people tune you out. What's Greta gonna do after 5 years and we're not all dead? She can go nag the Chinese, a billion plus Mono's. They'll just laugh at her and wonder if she'd make good soup stock to go with their bats.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 12:11:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2020, 12:05:41 PM

Except they are counter-productive. You can only predict imminent doomsday so many times before people tune you out. What's Greta gonna do after 5 years and we're not all dead? She can go nag the Chinese, a billion plus Mono's. They'll just laugh at her and wonder if she'd make good soup stock to go with their bats.

I mean people have been doomsaying for 30 years but somehow you still know people like Greta exists which kind of proves your point wrong, if you were right everybody would have stopped doing anything about global warming 25 years ago. Everybody being complacent and silent about it isn't going to work. You need people talking about this to get your engineers and resources.

Frankly I don't know much about Greta besides the fact that some media love her and the right wing nutcases DESPISE her all despite her saying nothing new that hasn't been said thousands of times. But I guess she had to say it for some people to pay attention. But if you want to make the case that right wing nutters now won't go along with global warming precautions just because they hate some random person, well they have been pushing back against it forever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 09, 2020, 11:55:21 AM
Although I still have a slight conspiracy about China.

I am suspicious that it basically got very out of hand in Wuhan with local officials covering it up/dealing with it locally, before they decided to inform their bosses/national government before Chinese New Year when it couldn't be kept local any longer. By which point it was probably too late.

I dont think this is conspiracy, although Im not terribly well informed, I think this is what went down. The municipal and regional government pooped in the bed, the National government stepped in and fired lazers out of their eyes.

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2020, 11:55:46 AM
I think we will get to see which approach works best as time goes by; each country is adopting different measures after all. There is going to be so much hindsight in 2021  :P

Well the US is certainly an outlier - but it seems that those of us with variations of single payor systems seem to be reacting roughly the same way.

Iormlund

Quote from: Maximus on March 09, 2020, 11:30:52 AMIndividuals are mostly over-reacting*.

Most people I know are definitely under-reacting. I can't even convince my mom to stay put.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 09, 2020, 11:10:18 AM
So every week, it seems as though it's getting worse. Israel is basically gonna shut down it's airport. Northern Italy, the cool part with the hot women, is under lockdown. Public events are being cancelled. Dublin cancels St. Paddy's day.
Are we, that is the government and organizations, over reacting? Thousands of people die of flu every year, and most people aren't even aware of it.

Not a universal response.  Some maybe over panicking, like Israel, but I'll admit I haven't followed the situation over there, so maybe they were justified if there were many travels from infected area.

Some countries are not reacting fast enough (USA...), some are doing fine because the provinces managed to get their head out of their arse, not because some idiot suddenly realized provinces are concerned and ask them to be ready :roll: (yeah, I'm talking about the clown in disguise from Ottawa).

Death isn't the only danger.  Stock markets react because the fear a shortage of labour due to too many sick people and a lockdown, as it happenned in Wuhan and northern Italy, not because they fear everyone will die.  Is the panick overblown?  Well that's the thing with stock markets, every big event is usually overblown.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

It's not like we have whole cities being locked down at gunpoint. In this country.

Still more likely to be killed by a car.
humans were created in their own image

PDH

You can only predict imminent doomsday so many times before people tune you out.

It has worked as a strategy for Christianity since the start...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on March 09, 2020, 03:46:44 PM
You can only predict imminent doomsday so many times before people tune you out.

It has worked as a strategy for Christianity since the start...

And people have tuned it out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on March 09, 2020, 03:34:14 PM
It's not like we have whole cities being locked down at gunpoint. In this country.

Still more likely to be killed by a car.

You're much more likely to be killed by a car.

If you're over 70 though, I'm not so sure about that.  There are over 6.5 million Canadians 65 or older...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

I actually did the math yesterday. Even a healthy Spaniard between 30 and 34 will be far more likely to die from Coronavirus if it reaches enough population.