News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I saw some testing companies noting if you haven't received by day 2, just take the test as soon as you are able.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

What are you receiving? A test kit?

Here, you have to go to a doctor or test station for PCR tests typically. Most people only do antigen at home.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think most PCRs are home testing here. You can go to a walk-in/drive-through station - not sure how common or busy they are, I've only done the home testing.

I don't think doctors do them because they'd be overwhelmed (though I think they have packs of the LFTs/antigens to pick up). I've only been to the GP a couple of times for unrelated blood tests though so that may have changed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Similar situation here. Flying home tomorrow. Due to reasons/depression and fatigue I left booking a day 2 test too late and couldn't find an affordable one available. Lots of them just plain say they aren't delivering until the 4th-I note amazon is in on the game.
So I booked an in person one from a company called express test at a walk in centre. Used them for my fit to fly too. Expensive but not crazily so next to home tests.

Incidentally a new trick by the scammers doing these tests is to offer super cheap ones available only in the very obscure local area they're based. They still show top of the list for other areas.

I seriously hope the investigation into who is making this money comes soon.

On the bright side my big fear of catching covid and not being allowed to fly home didnt come to pass.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

I had to fork over $100 for the test to go home. If it had been a weekend it would have been more like $250 (at the airport). What a racket.

Josquius

Anti vax cousin caught covid.
This pleases me.
She has it very mild. To the extent that it has only cemented her beliefs covid isn't a big deal. Its just like the flu - the flu kills people pet....

I have another cousin who I have no contact with. She's an absolute scum bag. Her ex lives down the street from my parents with his wife and kids. He has a daughter together with my cousin; they live quarter of a mile away.
On Xmas the daughter comes around to see her dad. Lovely right? Ah no. Clearly she's just been sent to get presents and give mother time to chill. Can't blame the poor kid though....
After she has been hanging out with her dad's family for a little while she feels she should say "oh I have covid".
Yup. She and her mother had covid. But mother felt little of sending the kid along to her dad's place anyway.
He and his entire family caught covid. Not critically bad but enough to ruin his kids Xmas by feeling like shit.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2022, 12:16:12 PM
Anti vax cousin caught covid.
This pleases me.
She has it very mild. To the extent that it has only cemented her beliefs covid isn't a big deal. Its just like the flu - the flu kills people pet....

I have another cousin who I have no contact with. She's an absolute scum bag. Her ex lives down the street from my parents with his wife and kids. He has a daughter together with my cousin; they live quarter of a mile away.
On Xmas the daughter comes around to see her dad. Lovely right? Ah no. Clearly she's just been sent to get presents and give mother time to chill. Can't blame the poor kid though....
After she has been hanging out with her dad's family for a little while she feels she should say "oh I have covid".
Yup. She and her mother had covid. But mother felt little of sending the kid along to her dad's place anyway.
He and his entire family caught covid. Not critically bad but enough to ruin his kids Xmas by feeling like shit.

:rolleyes:

It's almost like the Mum has weaponised it to be used in her ongoing battle with her ex?

I feel sorry for the poor daughter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

First day with more than a million cases per day in the United States. The assumption that there is a significantly reduced hospitalisation rate should better hold true...

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2022, 06:16:07 AM
First day with more than a million cases per day in the United States.

Over 1200 confirmed cases here today. Almost 200 cases confimed at the border. 6 weeks from now the pandemic will have burned itself out.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Swedish cases are taking off. Daily deaths still <1 per million.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Swedish King and Queen have tested positive. Symptoms mild so far, they're obviously vaccinated but they are elderly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2022, 12:34:52 PM
My day 2 PCR test hasn't even yet been received by Royal mail. Might be hard to take that by day 2 (Monday).

I got my day 2 test kit. :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

A thought.
There's a lot of nonsense anti vax stories floating around. My dad's friends cousin got the vaccine then had a heart attack driving home and died sort of thing.
A kind of story which when 90% of the population are being vaccinated probably did happen somewhere given the huge numbers of people and statistical probability.
But... By this same rule....
Won't someone have died whilst actually getting the vaccine?
Strange you don't hear that one.
My sisters friends uncles dogs former owner died the second they pressed the plunger.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2022, 04:19:41 AM
A thought.
There's a lot of nonsense anti vax stories floating around. My dad's friends cousin got the vaccine then had a heart attack driving home and died sort of thing.
A kind of story which when 90% of the population are being vaccinated probably did happen somewhere given the huge numbers of people and statistical probability.
But... By this same rule....
Won't someone have died whilst actually getting the vaccine?
Strange you don't hear that one.
My sisters friends uncles dogs former owner died the second they pressed the plunger.

I am sure with the numbers of people getting it, there have been serious side effects in some cases. e.g. I think the AZ clotting thing happens on average every 250,000 cases - that's super rare but still means a fair number of people. Often I think though it is the case of paying more attention to existing health issues and finally having them checked out due to being worried about the vaccine they received.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2022, 10:56:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2022, 12:34:52 PM
My day 2 PCR test hasn't even yet been received by Royal mail. Might be hard to take that by day 2 (Monday).

I got my day 2 test kit. :w00t:

So on this, what a pointless money grab this is.

The rules are (or at least were when we travelled a week ago) was that you must remain self-isolated until you receive your negative results from your Day-2 PCR test. Also, before travelling, you had to provide EXTENSIVE personal information on the traveller locator form, including the identification number of the Day 2 test you have pre-purchased for yourself.

So, we did the test, it came back negative, awesome. Today, though, we both got generic "you have been identified as a contact, must self-isolate and also register here" messages from Test and Trace. Upon receiving this, my wife noticed she had had bluetooth on her phone disabled for quite a while, so most certainly, this notification  has been sent because we have been travelling and our details were sent to Test and Trace, as the rules said they would be.

This message came TWO DAYS after we have tested negative and were in theory released from our self-isolation by it. So, I have followed the link, registered with personal data and vaccination status given. At no step of the process was my negative £50-a-pop PCR test was referenced, not even in the form of the results being asked of me.

Finally, after completing the whole form, I have been confirmed that due to my vaccination status I am not required to self isolate but should take lateral flow tests just in case for the next 4 days.
Which is funny because they could have no idea how my Day 2 test went (since the form and automated process has nothing to do with international travel), so if I, say, had inconclusive results to it, now I could be mighty confused/malicious as I have an NHS text message lifting me from self isolation.

There are too many parallel systems and rules in place now, and the only well-thought out bit seems to be to force you to pay money for your tests to private companies employing government MPs if you travel.