Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Numbers growing exponentially everywhere in Europe now.  :(

Maladict

Government advisors now asking for a hard lockdown, including closing all schools. :(

Barrister

Alberta has been very adamant about no further hard shutdowns, that it's too harmful to the economy.  Our budget deficit of $24 billion accounts for almost half of all government spending in this province.

Not that there aren't lots of restrictions, masks everywhere, etc., but businesses supposedly aren't going to be ordered closed.  We shall see.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Holy shit, that's just things completely spinning out of control.  How do Asian countries avoid such spikes?  Or are they?

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2020, 06:48:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2020, 06:19:16 PM
Remember how I told you guys the excessive lockdown stuff was going to backfire? I don't want to say I told you so, but....

Ahead of a lockdown protest scheduled in Georgia, the governor has announced that gyms, bowling alleys, salons, massage parlors, and some other stuff can open by Friday, and by Monday we are reopening restaurants.

How is the idiocy of the Governor of Georgia attributable to excessive lockdown measures? Seems the culprit here is his own stupidity.

So Malthus, you still have this opinion? It seems most countries belatedly followed Georgia's lead in reopening. The anti-lockdown protests are not just a US phenomena.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2020, 03:46:43 PM
Holy shit, that's just things completely spinning out of control.  How do Asian countries avoid such spikes?  Or are they?
SK is easing on the restrictions, whatever they did, it has to be working.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2020, 11:46:57 AM
Good news from the north east. Case numbers on decline again. Seems it was just freshers flu
Guardian seem to be monitoring this on their map (in the "on the rise" tab) which compares the last 7 days with the previous 7 days and it does seem to be on the decline in big bits of the North-East and Central Belt (and, possibly some of the North-West too) which is good:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/covid-cases-and-deaths-today-coronavirus-uk-map
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Hopefully people have come to their senses then.

Syt

Austrian numbers not looking great.
Thin line: daily new cases. Thick line: 7 day rolling average.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2020, 03:01:22 PM
Numbers growing exponentially everywhere in Europe now.  :(

It would be interesting to cross this with school openings in each country.

Richard Hakluyt

It would be best to use a logarithmic scale offset by a fortnight or so.

Sheilbh

What's also interesting is that it seems wearing masks or not doesn't actually make that much of a difference. Nordics are the lowest rate of mask wearing and Spain and Italy are the highest but, from what I understand, they're all seeing a similar second wave.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I think the mask wearing is of minor importance. but if it reduces spread by 5-10% (say) is worth it for the minor inconvenience. Some countries have made mask-wearing mandatory outside, I think that is ridiculous.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 23, 2020, 10:34:55 AM
I think the mask wearing is of minor importance. but if it reduces spread by 5-10% (say) is worth it for the minor inconvenience. Some countries have made mask-wearing mandatory outside, I think that is ridiculous.
Yeah - totally agreed. I think it's worth it and makes sense on public transport and in shops and I can see the logic when you're not at your table in a pub/restaurant/cafe.

But wearing it outside feels crazy (unless, maybe, you're all jammed in together like in a full stadium). But we've not re-opened enough for that to be an issue yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2020, 10:28:12 AM
What's also interesting is that it seems wearing masks or not doesn't actually make that much of a difference. Nordics are the lowest rate of mask wearing and Spain and Italy are the highest but, from what I understand, they're all seeing a similar second wave.
I'd be reluctant to read too much into that without a very solid investigation. Correlation doesn't equal causation et al. There'll be other factors at play too. Latin folk being naturally far more in each other's face and living in more densely inhabited countries, particularly lived-in density, for example.
██████
██████
██████