Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2020, 04:54:43 AM
The head of the department of Public Health in the Health and Nutritional Sciences Agency, a government body, said in an interview this morning, that face masks are useless, aerosol infection is a myth, homeopathy shouldn't be denounced, and that it's fine to keep a bit distance when you're indoors - no masks required. The lockdown in spring was unnecessary, and tougher measures aren't required now, either. Bit of a shitstorm brewing on Twitter right now; remains to be seen if he's retired early ...

He's also the main adviser to the government. He additionally said in the interview, that the hysteria is completely unwarranted. Corona is a lot more harmless than people think, and everyone is going to have it, eventually, anyways.

Seems that's why the government is not taking any serious steps to curb infection numbers right now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: The Larch on October 24, 2020, 05:07:14 PM
Tomorrow morning the Spanish government will have an emergency meeting in which most surely a new state of alarm at the national level will be enacted, which will probably last until December. This will allow regions to impuse curfews and limit movement of people to a certain degree, but without a new lockout.

So, as expected, a new state of alarm has been proclaimed, with an expected length of 6 months, until April. A curfew will almost surely be decreed as well, apparently from 23h to 6h, although I'm not sure if there'll be tweaks to it on a region by region basis. There are also no lockouts planned at this point.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2020, 09:56:34 PM
At this point it might be easier to list the regions and countries of the world where the virus Isn't taking off.

Antarctica for sure.

New cases record beaten for the umpteenth time in France:

Other figures are bad as well with R at 1.4.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 25, 2020, 07:58:02 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2020, 09:56:34 PM
At this point it might be easier to list the regions and countries of the world where the virus Isn't taking off.

Antarctica for sure.

New cases record beaten for the umpteenth time in France:

Other figures are bad as well with R at 1.4.

:(

Seems to be spinning out of control right across Europe and Latin America.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Curfew in my area is at 22h. No more night gym for me.

Legbiter

At least 5 teachers and staff have tested positive at my boys school. The rest are getting tested right now and the entire student body will be tested early Tuesday. The numbers of new daily infections is hovering around 60-80, the good news being that around 80% were already in quarantine. This wave will be gone by the end of November.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Folk I know in Switzerland are freaking out at the draconian new restrictions there like pubs closing at midnight and having to wear a mask in any indoor public place :rolleyes:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on October 25, 2020, 06:47:05 AM
The Czechs now hit 1000/100000 newly infected the last week, i.e. 1% of the population within a week.  Belgium is reaching that soon. Netherlands and Switzerland with 500/100000 population. Does not look good.
Yeah I'm concerned about CEE because they largely avoided the first wave. Hopefully a lot of the lessons that were learned in the badly hit Western European countries (for example the mortality rate in ICUs is significantly lower in the UK than during the first wave) have been implemented in CEE healthcare systems and it's not like they're getting a first wave fresh.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Thinks are getting steadily worse in Hungary but football happens to be Dear Leader's  passion so this could go ahead yesterday (sort of our version of Madrid-Barca, on normal matches there's barely anyone):

Couple of days before a journalist asked on the government press briefing why can such a thing go ahead considering all the restrictions etc. after which they quickly made mask wearing compulsory on matches, as you can see above nobody cared very much.

Josquius

At least I see a fair number of masks there?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2020, 01:50:30 PM

Nearly nobody is wearing them correctly  :lol:

Iormlund

Admiral Yi

The chin guys I can at least understand.  They're thinking fuck this nonsense, but if I wear it on my chin I can always pull it up if someone fucks with me.  The naked nose guys are the ones I don't get.

Eddie Teach

They have the option of either blocking their vision or leaving it vulnerable to fall off the nose. Like the others, they say fuck that, let it fall.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2020, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2020, 01:50:30 PM

Nearly nobody is wearing them correctly  :lol:

Might as well not wear one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".