News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Austria is making masks mandatory in shops, banks, etc. again starting tomorrow. We had over 100 daily cases over the last few days, and Vienna's total has crept over 500 active cases (from 200-something a few weeks ago).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Reading this thread reminds me how soft the lockdown here was. We could always go out, always go to super markets etc. After the lockdown, I have already travelled to Austria and Italy, went back to office, have been in restaurants a dozen times or more etc.

But there are still people in Germany who see all this as a vast government conspiracy to suppress our liberties... :rolleyes:

The Larch

Map showing which regions of Spain mandate the use of facemasks at the moment.

The Madrid regional government proves once again that it is fueled by contrarianism and pig-headedness.

Before you say anything, in the Canaries they're not required because AFAIK the situation down there is quite ok.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 23, 2020, 06:59:50 AM
I think my blood circulation is screwed up due to lack of exercise.

We've taken up Yoga and a Davina McCall workout DVD. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on July 23, 2020, 11:38:14 AM

Before you say anything, in the Canaries they're not required because AFAIK the situation down there is quite ok.

Aren't they supposed to die first?

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on July 23, 2020, 02:02:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 23, 2020, 11:38:14 AM

Aren't they supposed to die first?
:bleeding:

The Brain

In Sweden daily new cases have decresed sharply in July, ICU admittance has slowed to a trickle, and daily deaths are in the low single digits. I suppose the real test is when workplaces wake up again in August after the summer holidays.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Not sure if this has been posted. But basically the difference between the USA's and Canada's repsonse to COVID in one picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNt-3UuWiuw
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

merithyn

The US hits 4 million cases.

The first million took 99 days. The second million took 43 days. The third million took 28 days. The fourth million took 15 days. Testing increases in that time period is: 12.25/1000 at 99 days; 50.32/1000 at 43 days; 99.53/1000 at 28 days, and 142.67/1000 at 15 days.

Everything that I've read says that testing alone doesn't explain the explosion of cases identified in the last 15 days.

Tl;dr The US sucks at this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 23, 2020, 05:39:23 PM
Tl;dr The US sucks at this.

We have no federal leadership, in fact we have disruption and misinformation from our leadership. So each state and community has to come up with their own response.

Trump and his supporters claim zero responsibility for any of it. As usual the buck stops elsewhere...probably with some imaginary conspiracy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The Swaorwski billionaires asked for a Corona bailout and received €12 million. They then fired 1/3 of their employees and went to post pictures of their luxury vacation. Social media are not appreciative of this chain of events.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

What's left of our society if we can't trust the crystal billionaires to behave responsibly :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Four confirmed positives in a couple days at work. Rumor says they all attended a disco party at the coast that ended in outbreak.  <_<

merithyn

Back home in Champaign, my friend's son's roommate tested positive for COVID, though his son tested negative. Another friend out there had two different people in her office test positive. Another friend tested positive as did all four of her housemates.

Champaign is a small city of around 200,000 people. I know a lot of people but nowhere near that many. And yet, I'm beginning to hear of and know many who are at risk of infection just in the past week.

The circle is closing. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...