Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2020, 09:34:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 22, 2020, 09:25:26 PM
202 dead in Texas today by Worldmeter.

It's a fucking disaster. Everything is just so depressing right now.

And yet there are still fucking non-believers out there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 22, 2020, 05:23:19 PM
I don't know enough the situation in Alberta, but since it takes so much of its political cues from American conservatives, i wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat similar.

This kind of analysis is beneath you Oexmelin.

Alberta had not only numerous boom years in the 2000s, but we also had a decidedly left-wing government from 2015-2019.  You can criticize Alberta all you want, but make sure it's based on facts, not just "it takes so much of its political cues from American conservatives".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Interesting stats from June when lockdown started to lift:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronavirusandshieldingofclinicallyextremelyvulnerablepeopleinengland/24juneto30june2020

Basically it's about what the clinically vulnerable have been doing and in part they've followed the guidelines less strictly, but it's striking that even at the end of June 60% were only leaving their house for exercise. It's one of those points I think I forget as we lift lockdown that actually there's a few million people with health conditions or who are elderly who it's not really lifting for yet and even if it does in the guidance they probably won't be going back to anything like the sort of lives we're all going back to.

It's one of those things taht I hope we don't know forget to check in on our elders and unwell because they're going to have a really different experience of lockdown "lifting" than the rest of us :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Going back to is wrong - the new sort of lives we'res building.

Despite 30+ years of this not appearing to be the case - I'm an outdoor boy now :o
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I can still count on two hands the # of times I've left my apt complex since lockdown started. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2020, 06:46:55 AM
I can still count on two hands the # of times I've left my apt complex since lockdown started. :mellow:

Not counting click and collect runs, same.

I have been thinking of doing some short roadtrips to more remote-ish outside attractions, but then I realised they'd probably be packed regardless.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2020, 06:46:55 AM

Sheilbh

I've gone to the park every day it's sunny to get outdoors and take some exercise (turns out that three months of very limited moving takes a surprising toll on your legs :( <_<) - also there's a cafe in the park that's re-opened so I go there for my lunch and then sit in the sun to eat. I go to the shops maybe once a fortnight. I've had my hair cut, gone to the park to meet people, gone to the pub (garden) to meet people.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I've got a garden at my house now so I get out a fair bit more than once a week shopping trips.
Though lengthy walks have dropped off due to this. I think my blood circulation is screwed up due to lack of exercise.
I have heard there's a mini house price boom at the moment. I wonder if it goes for flats too. Certainly people appreciate gardens more.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

QuoteNicola Sturgeon blasts Boris Johnson for using coronavirus to make the case for the Union.

'I just don't think any of us should be championing and celebrating a pandemic that has taken thousands of lives as some example of the pre-existing political case we want to make.'
:hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2020, 06:56:41 AM
I've gone to the park every day it's sunny to get outdoors and take some exercise (turns out that three months of very limited moving takes a surprising toll on your legs :( <_<) - also there's a cafe in the park that's re-opened so I go there for my lunch and then sit in the sun to eat. I go to the shops maybe once a fortnight. I've had my hair cut, gone to the park to meet people, gone to the pub (garden) to meet people.

So a very different life from the one that 'we' are embarking on. ;)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

How can we expect people to care for the remaining social distancing rules when such things are allowed?

The clear message have been that you should keep to the mandatory rules unless:
a) you are important enough (we are afraid of you)
b) you are a political protester (we are afraid of you)
c) you are a football fan (we are afraid of you)
d) you are just too stupid (we can't be bothered to enforce)

Sheilbh

I think Leeds need to be taken to task for that. Liverpool have fucked up and been bad on this and we've seen some disgraceful behaviour on their fans. But Leeds went on a small open-top parade for their fans - which is other level :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!