News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Do we know how this correlates to excess deaths? That's probably the most important statistic in determining how many deaths have been caused by the pandemic and our handling of it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2020, 12:04:05 PM
Do we know how this correlates to excess deaths? That's probably the most important statistic in determining how many deaths have been caused by the pandemic and our handling of it.
It doesn't impact excess deaths not least because that reporting is done by the ONS.

So excess deaths are basically back to normal there are no excess deaths at the minute:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending3july2020

It's difficult to match up directly, but for the week ending 3 July the ONS said there were about 500 death certificates that mentioned covid. Looking at the week before (because the PHE data is based on the date the death is reported, not when it occurred) there were between 700-750 deaths. As I say it doesn't impact on the broad picture of the pandemic, or the peak. But now we're entering into the long tail stage and there will be a lot of the 300,000 positive tests who have recovered and are wandering around getting knocked down by lorries, it's sort of important to fix.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I don't think it's a bad or crazy method at all, especially for now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Its fascinating how all over the place the mask thing is in the UK.
At the school where my mam works it is mandatory. Everyone must wear a mask. OK.
Meanwhile at a school where a friend works....masks are banned. Nobody may wear a mask. Just...wtf.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Monoriu

Sheilbh

Mini-outbreak in Scotland has been traced to a call centre that was being used for contact tracing calls  :ph34r: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 20, 2020, 03:54:12 AM
Wherefore?  Prays?
The language on these documents hasn't changed since colonial times
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2020, 04:16:19 AM
Wherefore?  Prays?
I don't really do much litigation, but I think we have actually updated the language around litigation here :lol:

Certainly in contracts you can tell an American document because it uses lots of legalese and set forms of words OFTEN IN ALL CAPS.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2020, 04:11:55 AM
Mini-outbreak in Scotland has been traced to a call centre that was being used for contact tracing calls  :ph34r: :bleeding:
Oh delicious irony
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2020, 04:43:28 AM
Oh delicious irony
Right? Also as with tax avoidance, minimum wage, health and safety etc we have really good laws in place if we'd just actually enforce them against employers :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2020, 04:23:47 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2020, 04:16:19 AM
Wherefore?  Prays?
I don't really do much litigation, but I think we have actually updated the language around litigation here :lol:

Certainly in contracts you can tell an American document because it uses lots of legalese and set forms of words OFTEN IN ALL CAPS.

"WHEREAS ...

WHEREAS ...

WHEREAS ...

WHEREAS ...

NOW THEREFORE ..."

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Difference of observed lethality in Spain between early cases of Covid19 and those diagnosed after May 10, by age group.

The difference in survival rate among vulnerable age groups is astounding. Obvioulsy take it with a large grain of salt because a) most recent cases won't have had an outcome yet b) we are getting better at catching low-symptom cases. But a friend I have in a hospital tells me that right now there's more established knowledge of what treatments work and which don't, and the lower amount of cases also allows for better treatment.

Richard Hakluyt

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/20/revealed-nhs-denied-ppe-at-height-of-covid-19-as-supplies-sent-to-china-coronavirus

"A joint investigation by the Guardian and the French news website Mediapart has uncovered evidence suggesting the mask manufacturer Valmy failed to fulfil the terms of a £1.2m contract with the NHS to supply about 7m masks in the event of a pandemic.

According to the contract, Valmy was required to respond rapidly to the NHS order and begin deliveries within weeks.

However, documents seen by the Guardian and Mediapart suggest that rather than prioritising the NHS the company increased production for other customers as mask prices soared. A person familiar with Valmy's negotiations with the NHS said it waited "quite a long time before responding to the NHS's request because they could sell at far better prices on other markets".

We are waiting for an explanation  :mad: