And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2020, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2020, 05:53:04 PM
In Madrid for the last few days there have been daily protests against the government in the city's poshest, richest and rightiest neighbourhood. Today some dude with a golf club was banging a traffic sign.  :lol:

Found an even better one  :lol:

That picture is apparently from Argentina.  :P

celedhring

Damn  :lol:

Give it some time though. It will happen here.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2020, 01:27:21 PM

The lack of flags is telling, though.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2020, 01:27:54 PM

The lack of flags fascist symbols is telling, though.  :P

FIFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Gov. DeWine said low-contact sports can resume May 26.  My kid can finally have his baseball season :showoff:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2020, 02:21:24 PM
Gov. DeWine said low-contact sports can resume May 26.  My kid can finally have his baseball season :showoff:

Nice!

I am just hoping my son can get out there for Fall Ball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Got an email from the boys soccer program that they're hoping to play, perhaps in July / August (Community League soccer usually runs May-June).

But on the other hand, the government announced camp grounds would be open starting June 1 (on 50% capacity).  We already had a week booked in July, now (assuming out trip to the Okanagan is off) we have another week booked in August.  And I've taken all of August off.  We'll see if we want to run around in the summer heat for low-level soccer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2020, 02:18:52 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2020, 01:27:54 PM

The lack of flags fascist symbols is telling, though.  :P

FIFY

No, no, not really, too gauche and awkward for this kind of people. I mean, you can get the odd one (an irredeemeable old fart or an over-excited teenager), yeah, but not something generalized.

The Larch

Apparently in Japan suicides have gone down by 20% in April compared to the same month last year, due to less stress, more time in a family environment and the delay of the start of the school year.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2020, 04:57:26 PM
Apparently in Japan suicides have gone down by 20% in April compared to the same month last year, due to less stress, more time in a family environent and the delay of the start of the school year.

:lol: :thumbsup:

I'm sure the current tribulations will eventually cease and the average Japanese salaryman will dutifully redouble his efforts to work himself to death before 50.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: Legbiter on May 14, 2020, 05:14:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2020, 04:57:26 PM
Apparently in Japan suicides have gone down by 20% in April compared to the same month last year, due to less stress, more time in a family environent and the delay of the start of the school year.

:lol: :thumbsup:

I'm sure the current tribulations will eventually cease and the average Japanese salaryman will dutifully redouble his efforts to work himself to death before 50.

According to the article I read it is more due to the delay of the start of the school year, as apparently that's one of the top moments of the year for suicides, and the current tendency over there is that suicides amongst adults are steadily decreasing, but teenage suicides are on the rise.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2020, 05:49:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2020, 12:30:34 PM
I finally got my stimulus cash.

:cool:

[Yi]

Blow it on weed and chicks

[/Yi]

"I spent most of my stimulus payment on weed and chicks. The rest I blew".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2020, 12:32:56 PM
Wow, the initial leak seems to have been wrong and the national average is actually lower than that... 5%.
One point I'd not thought of from a public health person on Twitter. This could be bad for "herd immunity" or, which would be worse, it could be bad for a vaccine. Either not many people were infected and the IFR is actually around 1.3% which is higher than thought and observed elsewhere, or it's not clear how long we develop antibodies for which has an impact on vaccine development.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

We're formally opening up pretty much everything at the end of this month. There's some discussion of resuming travel in the middle of June but nobody knows how that's going to work. We'll see.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.