News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2020, 11:03:06 AM
Go running, go walking, go hiking but stay well within your capability and always socially distance in the area. This isn't a time to take up a new outdoor hobby, but use it as a space for the sort of routine exercise you're capable of for your own mental wellbeing. Plus, obviously, follow the Countryside Code.

Nuts to that.  With the ice rinks closed for the foreseeable future, I've been eyeing up a nice pair of rollerblades.  I've only ever rollerbladed once in my life (and that was in the 1990s), but I want to keep my skills up.  Plus, you know, all I really risk is some skinned knees or elbows.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

I can't think of a better time to start an outdoor hobby. Definitely better than indoor as you have a much elevated transmission risk in closed rooms.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2020, 12:00:07 PM
Go running, go walking, go hiking but stay well within your capability and always socially distance in the area. This isn't a time to take up a new outdoor hobby, but use it as a space for the sort of routine exercise you're capable of for your own mental wellbeing. Plus, obviously, follow the Countryside Code.

Nuts to that.  With the ice rinks closed for the foreseeable future, I've been eyeing up a nice pair of rollerblades.  I've only ever rollerbladed once in my life (and that was in the 1990s), but I want to keep my skills up.  Plus, you know, all I really risk is some skinned knees or elbows.

How are your neighborhood streets? My early 20s, I rollerskated alot & bad streets are what kills the hobby.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Okay. But only take up outdoor hobbies that you'll be unlikely to get injured doing - this isn't the time to start experimenting with, say, sperlunking :P
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Roller blading, running, bicycling, power walking, etc., are all low-risk hobbies that should be fine. You can also do those just about anywhere, and it doesn't require that a national or state park be open to you. It doesn't require that employees be on staff. None of that applies to what AR has been talking about.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2020, 12:20:35 PM

How are your neighborhood streets? My early 20s, I rollerskated alot & bad streets are what kills the hobby.

Pretty good.  Neighborhood is about 25 years old, so streets are same age.  Plus we have some nice trails - some unpaved, but others are paved.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2020, 12:25:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2020, 12:20:35 PM

Pretty good.  Neighborhood is about 25 years old, so streets are same age.  Plus we have some nice trails - some unpaved, but others are paved.

Don't skim, get those that have a iceskate style boot.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2020, 12:37:23 PM

I was looking around online - what's the difference?  I mean I can tell the difference in how they look, but what about how they feel or work?

Plus the ones I did find - they don't have a stopper!  How are you supposed to stop?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2020, 12:48:28 PM

I was looking around online - what's the difference?  I mean I can tell the difference in how they look, but what about how they feel or work?

Plus the ones I did find - they don't have a stopper!  How are you supposed to stop?

I do not know how different it is, I've never used those ice skate ones. I'm only recommending it so you do not lose your ice skating proficiency by learning a different way to hold your ankles.

That is a very good question.  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2020, 05:53:04 PM
In Madrid for the last few days there have been daily protests against the government in the city's poshest, richest and rightiest neighbourhood. Today some dude with a golf club was banging a traffic sign.  :lol:

Found an even better one  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2020, 12:53:16 PM

I do not know how different it is, I've never used those ice skate ones. I'm only recommending it so you do not lose your ice skating proficiency by learning a different way to hold your ankles.

How do you stop when you ice skate? Wouldn't it be the same?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

My outdoor Covid hobby has been exploring the neighborhood on foot. It's been a blast. Tons of hidden little parks and trails, mostly completely deserted, that I never knew existed.

A couple of days ago, I found a trail by Mimico creek I never knew existed; the city had erected a bunch of boxes on poles along the trail with bats painted on them - I assume they are bat houses.

https://imgur.com/a/uZqb0DU
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2020, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2020, 05:53:04 PM
In Madrid for the last few days there have been daily protests against the government in the city's poshest, richest and rightiest neighbourhood. Today some dude with a golf club was banging a traffic sign.  :lol:

Found an even better one  :lol:

That's good help! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2020, 01:02:43 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2020, 12:53:16 PM

How do you stop when you ice skate? Wouldn't it be the same?

You turn both your feetsideways, so they're parallel to your direction of travel, while you lean your body back slightly.  The edge on one side of each skate bites into the ice slowing you down, often with an impressive spray of snow coming off the ice.

Needless to say wheels can not cut into asphalt that way.