News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Are you fit to make decisions about safety, Brain?
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

So long as we are talking about safety with regards to nukes and bestiality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 11:53:15 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2020, 09:57:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
Oh you don't think it is. Ok then.

Is it the issue? Because I got the distinct impression that you aren't cool with loosening restrictions even if the looser restrictions don't result in an overwhelmed medical system.

My measure of success is lives saved, not length of lockdown time or how much capacity our medical system is at.

Are you prepared to put a price tag on human lives?

I work in health care so guess my answer.

Good. I ask because I have encountered people who are not prepared to do it, and are therefore obviously completely unfit to make decisions about safety in society.

Ok? I'm not sure what you're saying.

My price tag for a human life is ∞.

Obviously I'm not some star eyed child, I know that's impossible. But you have to rage against the dying of the light.

Then you are completely unfit to make decisions about safety.

Sure. I didn't know public health officials had to be vetted by The Brain, Languish poster extraordinaire though.

Zoupa

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 04:01:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 11:53:15 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2020, 09:57:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
Oh you don't think it is. Ok then.

Is it the issue? Because I got the distinct impression that you aren't cool with loosening restrictions even if the looser restrictions don't result in an overwhelmed medical system.

My measure of success is lives saved, not length of lockdown time or how much capacity our medical system is at.

Are you prepared to put a price tag on human lives?

I work in health care so guess my answer.

Good. I ask because I have encountered people who are not prepared to do it, and are therefore obviously completely unfit to make decisions about safety in society.

Ok? I'm not sure what you're saying.

My price tag for a human life is ∞.

Obviously I'm not some star eyed child, I know that's impossible. But you have to rage against the dying of the light.

Then you are completely unfit to make decisions about safety.

Sure. I didn't know public health officials had to be vetted by The Brain, Languish poster extraordinaire though.

They do not.

I think many people realize that suboptimal allocation of limited resources (no society has or will have unlimited resources) leads to avoidable death and suffering.

The Brain

Zoupa

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 04:08:42 PM
Ballpark?

It varies considerably, and it is not even the same for different types of risks.

Zoupa

Ok then. I think you can still give me a range, oh money man.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 04:18:03 PM

If you are interested in specific examples you will have to look elsewhere. My impression is that your understanding of safety is still on such a naive level that you have yet to grasp basic principles.

Maximus

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 04:18:03 PM
My hunch is that it's infinitely smaller than your range.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 04:01:51 PM
If someone wants to be a doctor, but thinks that all the patients should be treated solely with prayer, I would say that they're utterly unfit to be a doctor.  That doesn't mean that I'm claiming that all the doctors now have to be vetted by me before they're licensed.  In fact, I'm kind of implying that the incompetence demonstrated is so overwhelming that it is apparent to even a lay person.

Does it mean that you putting a price of infinity on human life, knowing that it is an impossible price, make you unfit for making safety decisions?  Yes, absolutely.

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2020, 04:45:55 PM
Does it mean that you putting a price of infinity on human life, knowing that it is an impossible price, make you unfit for making safety decisions?  Yes, absolutely.

Why?
Que le grand cric me croque !