News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Matt Ridley in the Spectator has a nice overview of the therapeutics being tested which could be a nice stopgap before a vaccine is ready. Monoclonal antibodies in particular look promising.

https://spectator.us/contenders-challenges-race-cure-covid/
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

celedhring

Spanish age/gender profile data for ICU admittances and deaths.

Over here I've seen people call it "the last push illness".  :(

The Larch

Wow, so less than 10% of all admitted (those 80+ yo of both sexes, 3'4% of all men and 5'9% of all women) account for more than half of all fatalities? (53'8% of all men and a whopping 70'6% of all women) Am I reading the graph right?

The Brain

The death age profile is certainly the best thing about this virus.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2020, 08:23:39 AM
Wow, so less than 10% of all admitted (those 80+ yo of both sexes, 3'4% of all men and 5'9% of all women) account for more than half of all fatalities? (53'8% of all men and a whopping 70'6% of all women) Am I reading the graph right?

Total dead is not a subset of ICU admittances. I.e. people 80+ with acute pneumonia are often put on paliative care.

Legbiter

How many people under 50 have died in Spain?

celedhring

Legbiter

Keep the Boomers and oldsters at home, everyone else can go keep the economy ticking over.  :hmm:

The Brain

Is the death age profile not generally reported in other countries? Would certainly explain some earlier comments.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 08:27:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2020, 08:23:39 AM

Total dead is not a subset of ICU admittances. I.e. people 80+ with acute pneumonia are often put on paliative care.

Ok, I knew I was missing something then. Would be good to know the fatality rate for each segment of those taken to ICUs.

Tamas

In Hungary, on apartment buildings where at least one of the residents is infected, the authorities will place a warning sign.

A yellow warning sign.

Also the actual flat's entrance will receive a red warning sign.

The Brain

Shouldn't the lamb's blood go on earlier in the process?

Sheilbh

Start of today's briefing entirely focused on testing and contact tracing - which I think are pre-requisites for getting out of lockdown - I am slightly reassured they're talking about this rather than talking about which bits of lockdown will be lifted first. If this stuff isn't in place, I don't see how we'll be able to avoid going back into lockdowns. Hopefully they'll actually get it in place and working.....But.....
Let's bomb Russia!