And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2020, 09:11:27 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2020, 08:29:08 AM
The Nightingale in Birmingham has opened.
Please explain what we are looking at here. :huh:

They are opening a new hospital.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

And who is the guy who looks pretty bad on camera?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Not getting much better from a higher angle.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2020, 09:21:17 AM

The head of the NHS? Not sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2020, 09:23:56 AM
Not getting much better from a higher angle.

Social distancing makes it look like a low budget authoritarian regime though. Needs more extras.

mongers

Health/Death* secretary (minister).

*because he invariable states the daily hospital deaths figure as the death rate and so excludes mentioning the largely uncounted deaths in care homes and the community.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2020, 09:11:27 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2020, 08:29:08 AM
The Nightingale in Birmingham has opened.
Please explain what we are looking at here. :huh:

QuoteStaff and soldiers observing social distancing today as they listen to Matt Hancock, the health secretary, speak to them by video at the opening of the NHS Nightingale Hospital Birmingham.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/16/coronavirus-uk-live-news-covid-19-lockdown-extension?page=with:block-5e9815eb8f08ea7431f43c75

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2020, 09:27:28 AM

The head of the NHS? Not sure.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary.

Valmy

Legbiter

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2020, 07:55:02 AM
I presumed there are no cold vaccines because a) it's so rare for a cold to kill anyone or make them seriously ill, that it's not worth the time and effort to develop one, and/or b) the 'cold' IIRC is actually a huge number of unrelated viruses, so developing vaccines against most or all would be a monumental effort.

Yeah the yearly cold is a bewildering soup of different viruses. A third of colds don't even have a known underlying cause. Making a vaccine is therefore technically difficult plus it's not debilitating enough to warrant a serious effort. Because nothing focuses the mind like an impending hanging there are now vaccines that have been injected into volunteers but they have to be observed for a time to see if they are effective and nobody keels over dead. I bet the Chinese will fast track their candidate by injecting it into say, Uighurs then infecting the test subjects with the virus and just observe if it works. Informed consent is for weaklings.

My fear is actually that the vaccine will turn out to be only 50% effective at preventing infection hence the virus will just smoulder on. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2020, 09:34:03 AM
I presumed there are no cold vaccines because a) it's so rare for a cold to kill anyone or make them seriously ill, that it's not worth the time and effort to develop one, and/or b) the 'cold' IIRC is actually a huge number of unrelated viruses, so developing vaccines against most or all would be a monumental effort.

Yeah the yearly cold is a bewildering soup of different viruses. A third of colds don't even have a known underlying cause. Making a vaccine is therefore technically difficult plus it's not debilitating enough to warrant a serious effort. Because nothing focuses the mind like an impending hanging there are now vaccines that have been injected into volunteers but they have to be observed for a time to see if they are effective and nobody keels over dead. I bet the Chinese will fast track their candidate by injecting it into say, Uighurs then infecting the test subjects with the virus and just observe if it works. Informed consent is for weaklings.

My fear is actually that the vaccine will turn out to be only 50% effective at preventing infection hence the virus will just smoulder on.

Is unit 731 still in operation btw?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Iormlund on April 16, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
So we are indeed starting almost from scratch when we could have leveraged a vaccine against SARS.
There's around 50 different candidates in the works last I checked. Even if most of those don't work we'll probably have one that does. And there is a protocol to test those candidates in one or two years instead of ten.

That's still too slow. We need it in ~6 weeks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2020, 09:39:03 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2020, 09:34:03 AM

Is unit 731 still in operation btw?

In China/Mandchuria or in Japan?

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2020, 08:12:50 AM
Yeah I don't think we have a vaccine for any coronavirus because most of them aren't this bad, or, like SARS, were contained.

I think Iorm or Larch said that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done but it probably does mean we're starting from a lower base and it's going to take longer?

I think it was Iorm, I believe he mentioned there were veterinary vaccines for some types of coronavirus that researchers were taking as reference for the development of a vaccine for Covid 19.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?