News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

No Trump bucks for me yet. :( But I've heard that it's based on income levels, so maybe that's why? :unsure:

No clue. It's all going into savings anyway in case any of my friends or family need it later down the road. I know that's not what they want to hear, but that's what's going to happen.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Looks like the Spanish gov is finishing a recount of out-of-hospital deaths. The updated total might get us back in first place, depending if they include untested but with compatible Covid symptoms.

viper37

Someone made a video of my home town last Sunday (Easter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OaqDPXrSw4&feature=youtu.be

It's even more depressing than seeing it at ground's view :(

EDIT: the narrator speaks French, but the images are telling of themselves.  I know this is the same in many places, I've seen the vids/pictures, still, it's depressing seeing things like this, even though there's only 38 cases and 1 death in the entire region (stable for the last 4 days).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

This links to the graphic of coronavirus' cases and deaths in the US:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Why is the West coast, where the first cases were discovered so untouched compared to the East Coast?

I read that in British Columbia, the large Asian community helped stopped the spread of the virus by practicing social distanciation even before there was an official directive for it.  Could this be part of the explanation?

Also, apparently, South Dakota is a new hot zone of cases&deaths in the US.  The (Republican) governor insist it's not up to the government to tell people what to do, they have to decide for themselves if they go to work or not, whatever is in their best interest...

On one side, I appreciate the firm, uncompromising beliefs of the lady.  She has principles, and she stands by it.  At least this time.  On the other hand, I find it quite dumb that she so willingly risk everyone else's life while she remains sheltered.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on April 15, 2020, 05:11:18 PM
No Trump bucks for me yet. :( But I've heard that it's based on income levels, so maybe that's why? :unsure:

Could be.  Phases out at 99K.

On another note, Economist says the narrative of Trump favoring certain states for supplies doesn't pan out.  They say distribution is being handled by FEMA based on need formulas.

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2020, 05:24:50 PM
Looks like the Spanish gov is finishing a recount of out-of-hospital deaths. The updated total might get us back in first place, depending if they include untested but with compatible Covid symptoms.
NYC increased their body count by 50% after such a recount.  Just the city alone is now above 10,000 in deaths.  :blink:

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 03:38:08 PM
Well, I get direct deposit for Social Security disability and I haven't seen any cash come my way today.
my dad got his regular SS retirement today( as to be expected on 3rd Wednesday of the month), but not the stimulus.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

No clue. It's all going into savings anyway in case any of my friends or family need it later down the road. I know that's not what they want to hear, but that's what's going to happen.
we took a vote, decided you didn't need it.

derspiess

My dad got his today and texted me first thing this morning about it. I could tell he was excited. We didn't get one, but the wife got her bonus at least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2020, 06:05:07 PM

Could be.  Phases out at 99K.

I qualify for some based on my adjusted income.

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on April 15, 2020, 06:44:53 PM

we took a vote, decided you didn't need it.

Not helping! :ultra:

jimmy olsen

Over 2500 dead today and Trump is going on about us having passed the peak.  What a clusterfuck
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2020, 08:58:45 PM
Over 2500 dead today and Trump is going on about us having passed the peak.  What a clusterfuck

He's talking about opening up the states that never shut down.  :rolleyes:

mongers

He really doesn't have any idea about how contagious this virus is, in a news conference earlier in the week, we was going on about how 50% of US counties hadn't had even one case.

So he thinks those places will be safe, rather than the virus just hasn't had enough time to get to everywhere within the well connected USA.

Maybe someone in his entourage could have done a coloured in map for him, showing the only countries that have yet to see a case, which are what, a handful of pacific islands, the Antarctic and North Korea (apparently,  :hmm:) ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai