Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2020, 07:34:46 AM
I like the expression on her face.  She is not amused.  Not one bit. :bowler:
That's her natural expression.
Had the UK made their own GI Joe, she would have been the one delivering the messages at the end ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 12:10:43 PM
Also there's care in the home where workers will move between multiple households between the day.

Depends on your area - certainly in Northamptonshire a lot of people with care packages like that have had them "yanked" and been put in temporary placements in Care Homes as there aren't the staff available to continue caring for them in the community.

Not, of course, that that is all that reassuring given that Care Home in Scotland...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2020, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: bogh on April 09, 2020, 07:37:17 AM
Sweden reported 109 deaths. Denmark 19.

Don't worry, you'll catch up when you ease restrictions.

Not if they shut their border and impose strict quarantine for people coming from hot zones.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Johnson is out of intensive care and back in the general ward, whichis good news.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 01:39:31 PM
Johnson is out of intensive care and back in the general ward, whichis good news.

Except for the other patients in the general ward.  :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 01:39:31 PM
Johnson is out of intensive care and back in the general ward, which is good news.

Agreed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maximus

Quote from: Fate on April 09, 2020, 01:06:07 PM
Not trying to stoke panic but the false negative rate of nasal swab PCR test is pretty high because of human error in the nasopharyngeal swab portion which isn't easy to do properly, especially with all of these poorly/newly trained people doing it. The PCR/lab portion of the test is highly accurate if the sample was collected properly.

If I had clinical symptoms of COVID-19, lived in an area with known community transmission, worked in a high risk place like a nursing home, and had one negative nasal swab test then I'd still act as if I had it until I was asymptomatic.
I suspected that was the case, but she is more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

PJL

My guess is that there are at least 40 million worldwide infected, based on the death figures and extrapolation of mortality rates and the delay between noticeable symptoms and actual death.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on April 09, 2020, 01:09:20 PM
Had the UK made their own GI Joe, she would have been the one delivering the messages at the end ;)
Now you know
"and knowing is half the battle!"
ELIZABETH REGINA!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Threviel

Quote from: viper37 on April 09, 2020, 01:13:47 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2020, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: bogh on April 09, 2020, 07:37:17 AM
Sweden reported 109 deaths. Denmark 19.

Don't worry, you'll catch up when you ease restrictions.

Not if they shut their border and impose strict quarantine for people coming from hot zones.

Then they'll catch up due to poverty, can't close the borders forever. But what do I know, far cleverer people than me do the decisions in most countries. Time will tell.

PJL

The scariest fact of the day is that it's only been 100 days since the first instance of Covid-19 was reported in China. It's almost certainly been around for a bit longer, but just the sheer speed that it has gone global and made it pretty the much only news story worldwide for the best part of a month already is frightening.

It also means that you could probably do a review of the year now, and you'd probably wouldn't be far off what things will be by the end of this year. Time Magazine might as well produce a front cover of the virus under the microscope and call it 'Thing of the Year' right now and be done with it.

alfred russel

Quote from: PJL on April 09, 2020, 02:39:52 PM
My guess is that there are at least 40 million worldwide infected, based on the death figures and extrapolation of mortality rates and the delay between noticeable symptoms and actual death.

Who knows. This was in population centers in Africa early on. With a younger population, the older population being generally less vulnerable, a low COVID19 mortality rate overall, and a much less robust medical infrastructure, it could be flying under the radar. Or maybe warmer temperatures are keeping it away.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Mrs B went on a supply run to a few places, including Canadian Tire.

She came back with 2 boxed of 25 disposable paper masks - for $25 each.  No not N95.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2020, 03:40:46 PMBut what do I know, far cleverer people than me do the decisions in most countries.

I wouldn't bet on it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Just looking at the latest figures in London and saw that around 200 people have died in a hospital quite close to me. It's one of the larger hospitals in London (a major trauma centre) with a lot of beds so to be expected.

But I spent about a week in there earlier in the year with an injury and I just keep thinking about all the people (healthcare assistants and nurses) who helped look after me and others on the ward. They must be going through the absolute worst - on a purely mental level I hope there'll be support for counselling etc for healthcare workers at the end of this :(

I keep thinking about one student nurse who was absolutely lovely, but also very new. I thought student nurses were like junior doctors - so you some years of studying and then you get put into a hospital to start the practical training. Turns out that was wrong. She was 18 and had done about 3 months worth of studying - aside from that it's just rotating between different hospitals and teams with some lectures every six weeks. I find it kind of mind-blowing when I think of her and all the other student nurses that young working through this time.
Let's bomb Russia!