News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I really do wonder whether the US' figures might be up there with China's for reliability given the American medical system and testimonies like that of Raz.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: bogh on April 09, 2020, 07:37:17 AM
Sweden reported 109 deaths. Denmark 19.

Good spirited Nordic competition.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2020, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2020, 08:04:11 AM
Btw, what is it with your fascination with obscure American political figures?
No idea with her. My best guess is that a gay man couldn't discover a picture of a prominent women looking like that and not want to know more :P

Otherwise probably just that I find America interesting and speak the language so can quite easily pop down a Wikipedia hole for a few hours.

Sheilbh, for what it's worth, a YouTuber/columnist/cartoonist I read--J.J. McCullough--is also very gay and just as fascinated by obscure American things. Two data points is a trend, right? :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2020, 08:30:20 AM
Sheilbh, for what it's worth, a YouTuber/columnist/cartoonist I read--J.J. McCullough--is also very gay and just as fascinated by obscure American things. Two data points is a trend, right? :hmm:
Sure :lol:

And I should say I am less interested in current America (save what I read in the news). But I do kind of love post-war peak-Americana era American stuff. So, as Matt Groening would have it, I'm John Waters in the Simpsons :P
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

After being late to the party, Russia is catching up quickly.  It would be tragically ironic if they got hoisted with their own petard of twitter bot Covid denialism.

Admiral Yi

So the uptake is that gay men like women who look like drag queens?

She was pretty visible in the 80s.  Might have even run for prez IIRC.

Threviel

Quote from: bogh on April 09, 2020, 07:37:17 AM
Sweden reported 109 deaths. Denmark 19.

Don't worry, you'll catch up when you ease restrictions.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2020, 08:37:20 AM

Yeah I remember her being elected and it being said that this was clear evidence that Texas was turning blue...

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on April 09, 2020, 09:27:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2020, 08:37:20 AM

Yeah I remember her being elected and it being said that this was clear evidence that Texas was turning blue...

From the close of reconstruction after the civil war, to her election, there was only one republican who was elected governor of texas--all the rest were democrats. It has only been republicans after her. (obviously I just googled this)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Since yesterday Wednesday 10.00, joggers are in theory banned from 10 to 19 hours in Paris. At last!

Less joggers as far as I can tell.

Sheilbh

Paper in the BMJ saying public health bodies should be recommending use of masks without waiting for randomised trials:
QuoteMasks are simple, cheap, and potentially effective. We believe that, worn both in the home (particularly by the person showing symptoms) and also outside the home in situations where meeting others is likely (for example, shopping, public transport), they could have a substantial impact on transmission with a relatively small impact on social and economic life.
:ph34r:  :tinfoil:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 09, 2020, 10:14:57 AM
Since yesterday Wednesday 10.00, joggers are in theory banned from 10 to 19 hours in Paris. At last!

There are only 10,000 joggers in Paris, or only 10,000 of them have restrictions on their jogging?  :hmm:

Zanza

An interesting study was done in Heinsberg, the county with the early big outbreak in Germany. About 500 persons from one village were tested now for antibodies, about 15% were infected when they only expected about 5%. Mortality is a mere 0.37%.

Based on this and several other considerations, they'll start discussing in the week after Easter to reduce the restrictions from the lockdown. I think it is time for that discussion now and we need to have it publicly. I hope it's not one of those Merkel 'alternativlos' (without alternative) things that aren't well explained and just done by the government.

And I just heard again anecdotal evidence from German hospitals, which are apparently mostly empty. A doctor who lives in my house for example told me that they created 40 new places to ventilate people and only two of those are currently taken. I guess the peak is still coming in Germany, but for now it seems manageable for the health system. I have heard the same story from other places in Germany from other doctors as well the last few days.

Two more figures: more than 10,000 empty beds in ICU in Germany according to our health minister and more than 50k of the infected are already healthy again.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2020, 10:25:01 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 09, 2020, 10:14:57 AM

There are only 10,000 joggers in Paris, or only 10,000 of them have restrictions on their jogging?  :hmm:

Neither, it's a time stamp.

:hmm: Maybe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

I just noticed there are hardly any bird flying around.  Paranoid?  :ph34r: