News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2020, 02:52:09 PM
I don't know what the rate is for a bad year of the seasonal flu: say it is 0.1%.

That's 0,1%, with a vaccine and meds readily available.  Something we do not have right now for covid-19.

The same individual appeals to life viper was making with coronavirus can be made with seasonal flu.
Ah, but we mostly do it.  I don't allow anyone to come to my office or visit me when they have the flu.  But is it like 70% of the population getting the flu in one season?  Nope.  Not by far.

Is there a significant proportion of people requiring hospital resources to survice the flu?  No.

The arguments that I'm making are presumably the ones he would be making if someone was arguing about locking down for the seasonal flu in bad years. There is a tipping point and a balance to be reached, where that is: reasonable people can disagree.
Let's say there's 10% chances I',m getting shot if I go outside of my house today.  I'll take that chance.

Let's there's 10% chances I'll kill someone if I go outside of my house today.  Am I taking chances?  Not everyday.

It's like driving drunk.  The vast majority of drunk drivers aren't killing anyone.  Only a minority will end up killing someone.  Yet, we forbide this activity, at the inconvenience of a crucial economic sectors: bars&nigthclub are much less profitable today than they were in the 70s&80s.  My own hometown had 5 bars, 3 nightclubs and 1 stripper club when I was a teen. Today, only 3 bars left, no nightclub, no strippers.  Ever since the government implemented a zero tolerance on dui for anyone under 21 (18 is the legal limit to dring, but the rules weren't really that enforced in the past, and myself started going out regularly in bars&nightclub around the age of 15), the bars&nightclub started to shutdown. that's not just for small cities, many places shut down in Quebec city too as they found themselves deserted.

We made a choice for society by crippling an entire economic sector forever, and we now have much less deaths.

By refusing containment with covid-19, what you are basically doing is playing russian roulette with someone else's life, without their consent.

If I want to kill myself, I'll do it.  It's not up to you are any politician to decide wether or not my life or my quality of life is worthless.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Btw Maladict, you should know that the Netherlands have featured heavily in our coronavirus-related news cycle today.  :P

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM
Btw Maladict, you should know that the Netherlands have featured heavily in our coronavirus-related news cycle today.  :P

Why?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2020, 03:48:01 PM
We made a choice for society by crippling an entire economic sector forever, and we now have much less deaths.

By refusing containment with covid-19, what you are basically doing is playing russian roulette with someone else's life, without their consent.

If I want to kill myself, I'll do it.  It's not up to you are any politician to decide wether or not my life or my quality of life is worthless.
The point is that it kind of is up to politicians to some extent.  Policy decisions that balance lives and economical outcomes are being made all the time, and if you're not happy with the deal made on your behalf, too bad.  You can engage in the political process to find politicians who advocate trade-offs more to your liking, but in the mean time you'll have to abide by their judgment of where the trade-off should be.

crazy canuck

For those of you who are interested, here is the data BC release today.  It looks like the curve here is flattening. Some of the other country comparators, well they have too many Dorsey's I guess.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/COVID19_Technical_Briefing_Condensed.pdf

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2020, 04:00:56 PMThe point is that it kind of is up to politicians to some extent.  Policy decisions that balance lives and economical outcomes are being made all the time, and if you're not happy with the deal made on your behalf, too bad.  You can engage in the political process to find politicians who advocate trade-offs more to your liking, but in the mean time you'll have to abide by their judgment of where the trade-off should be.

Yeah, it's not an easy choice now. I do know the economic cessation we're in will devaste people's health and well-being in fairly short order. A month of total lockdown, sure, it'll be a very severe temporary recession, but things can bounce back fairly quickly. A 2 month lockdown? Jesus, that will be tough. Like government ration cards tough.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2020, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2020, 02:46:13 PM
He is presenting it as one data point, without implying anything about how that data point compares to COVID-19.  He's basically making a "we've already established that, now we're just negotiating" point, which is a valid point to make.

I don't see how that is helpful. Of course there are cost-benefit tradeoffs.  But it's not helpful to analyze the tradeoff for activity X by looking at activity Y that has a far different risk profile.  Either take a position on value-of-life generally based on all potential risks or find a more realistic comparator.

I was responding to Viper who was giving hypotheticals of a 75 year old who wants to live, and a forum member with risk factors, from the perspective of whether it should be allowed for others to essentially make life and death decisions for those individuals.

My point with the flu is that this is in fact the case. We know thousands will die from influenza every year, some of them may want us to take stronger action (such as we are doing today) to stop the infectious disease. We don't live our lives in quarantine, and in cases those people die. We have decided that the cost of protecting them from disease is not worth their lives.

That in no way means that the death rate, or infection rate, from the seasonal flu equals covid 19.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2020, 02:46:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2020, 02:44:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2020, 02:39:06 PM
MM--go fuck yourself if you think I in any way implied that COVID-19 mortality rates are on par with seasonal flu.
I think a lot of people here are in the mood to pile on, and thus are reading your posts with the mindset of finding something to be indignant about, rather than reading your arguments for what they are.  I disagree with you, but I find this treatment of you downright disgusting.  We have Twitter for this kind of discourse.

I apologize if I was being unfair. I mean we already went through this weeks ago with another poster and I was just a little tired of being lectured by people who I don't think know anything.

:yes:

And there's the whole his taking my life (and people like me) into his hands. I find that a bit... problematic.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

Till Lindemann tested negative for corona.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

For the record, it looks like the death rate worldwide of the seasonal flu last year was 0.0616%, looking at the lowest potential numbers.

10% go into the hospital.

Only 47% seek medical care for the regular flu.

So if we could please stop even bringing this up, it would be great. This is not anymore like the seasonal flu than it's like a building collapsing.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on March 27, 2020, 04:06:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2020, 04:00:56 PMThe point is that it kind of is up to politicians to some extent.  Policy decisions that balance lives and economical outcomes are being made all the time, and if you're not happy with the deal made on your behalf, too bad.  You can engage in the political process to find politicians who advocate trade-offs more to your liking, but in the mean time you'll have to abide by their judgment of where the trade-off should be.

Yeah, it's not an easy choice now. I do know the economic cessation we're in will devaste people's health and well-being in fairly short order. A month of total lockdown, sure, it'll be a very severe temporary recession, but things can bounce back fairly quickly. A 2 month lockdown? Jesus, that will be tough. Like government ration cards tough.

What worries me if the aftermath. I mean, say in May we bring outbreaks under control in most of the West.  Then what next? If we lift up restrictions we'll probably get another outbreak in the following weeks, and we just can't shut down again. All these grandiose plans of massive testing and selective isolation to nip future outbreaks in the bud seem a bit unrealistic. It seems we are entirely dependant on finding a working medical solution in the short term or we're fucked.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2020, 04:30:55 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 27, 2020, 04:06:33 PM

What worries me if the aftermath. I mean, say in May we bring outbreaks under control in most of the West.  Then what next? If we lift up restrictions we'll probably get another outbreak in the following weeks, and we just can't shut down again. All these grandiose plans of massive testing and selective isolation to nip future outbreaks in the bud seem a bit unrealistic. It seems we are entirely dependant on finding a working medical solution in the short term or we're fucked.
And I think there is a real risk around bio-surveillance:
https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/2020/03/rise-bio-surveillance-state
QuoteSo countries are faced with what one might call the "coronavirus trilemma". They can pick two of three things but cannot have them all: limit deaths, gradually lift lockdowns, or uphold cherished civil liberties. Not all countries are facing up to this reality – the US remains a notable laggard – but most will have to eventually. Those countries that have recognised the choices before them are picking the first two options at the cost of the third, bio-surveillance. It is a choice that has most clearly been made in east Asia. But it is coming to much of the rest of the world too – and will transform the role and reach of the state. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2020, 04:35:06 PM
And I think there is a real risk around bio-surveillance:

It doesn't have to become an issue. We have legal mechanisms to deal with temporary restriction of basic liberties. In fact we are already using them to curtail assembly, for example. Sure, governments will want to make these apps permanent, but they really don't have to be.

Maladict

Quote from: Legbiter on March 27, 2020, 03:56:55 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM

Why?

Yeah, why?

edit: blocking the EU emergency aid fund of course. So much for unity  :(