And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 24, 2020, 07:20:11 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 24, 2020, 05:34:26 AM
By leaving the house twice instead of once.

Total time out of the house is what matters.  Number of sorties is irrelevant.
It may matter.  You're probably the closest to your people immediately after leaving your home, at least if you live in a high density building.

Syt

Since Japan has asked to delay the Summer Olympics ... in the 1988 anime Akira, Tokyo Neo Tokyo is supposed to host the 2020 Olympics. However, the WHO is urging them to postpone because of a pandemic ...

(but I think the movie is set in 2019)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Manu Dibango, the Soul Makossa guy, died of COVID-19. :(

In case you don't know what 'Soul Makossa' is, it's a song that inspired Wanna Be Starting Something by Michael Jackson.  IIRC Jackson lifted "mama-say mama-sa mama-coo-sa" from it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 24, 2020, 07:20:11 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 24, 2020, 05:34:26 AM
By leaving the house twice instead of once.

Total time out of the house is what matters.  Number of sorties is irrelevant.

Proximity to other people is what matters.*

* and the not well understood risks of transmission from surfaces.

Sheilbh

Yes - and from my runner friend: "runners are dicks" :lol:

She's been very annoyed at runners not deviating from their route to avoid people, she's taking big loops to stay 2m away from other pedestrians - and apparently shouting "the Olympics are cancelled mate!" at non-socially distanced runners :lol:

Todays press conference is going to be the first virtual one. I think it's going to be a Zoom conference which is good but I cannot imagine the stress of Downing Street's IT and AV teams because there will be technical issues watched by millions :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

QuoteSARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

I'm going to disinfect the entire house now  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Very interesting explanation by our Provincial Health Officer of why our restrictions were ramped up last Saturday.  They found that the spike in new cases were mainly attributable to infections connected with Washington State.  Thanks Trump.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 08:47:30 AM
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

QuoteSARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

I'm going to disinfect the entire house now  :ph34r:
I don't think we can generalise from the horrifying hygiene of a cruise ship to everything, right?!

Reason #568 never to go on a cruise.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2020, 08:56:47 AM
Very interesting explanation by our Provincial Health Officer of why our restrictions were ramped up last Saturday.  They found that the spike in new cases were mainly attributable to infections connected with Washington State.  Thanks Trump.
On this, is there any explanation for what caused that sudden jump in cases in Washington state - way back when all of this was very new?
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 09:04:45 AM
On this, is there any explanation for what caused that sudden jump in cases in Washington state - way back when all of this was very new?

I don't know.  What we know is our measures were working until the Washington State infections showed up.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2020, 06:38:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2020, 06:18:28 PM
The rules are arbitrary. None of us are making them, and what gets posted here won't change anything, but in the pretend world that any of our opinions matter...you might want to be upset at the pace of unsustainable rules being made for little or no reason. They threaten the whole system of social distancing.

You know, most of the time I let your obvious white-boy privilege just roll off, but this isn't fucking about you, asshole.

There are people out there - like me, cc, and a myriad of other people - who could fucking die if you decide to travel the country and bring that shit to them because fuck the rules. Because it annoys you. Because you don't see the point.

For once in your whole damn life, this isn't about you. This is about other people, and for once in your goddamn life will you please, just please, shut up and do what you're told to help other people get through this alive.

Fucking selfish, self-involved privileged asshole.  :glare:

My plans over the weekend were to go climbing in rural Tennessee with 3 others: a white woman, an Asian woman, and a black man. Unfortunately the plans fell apart, but I was quite looking forward to posting a picture of the four of us with the obvious white-boy privilege. Your view of the world is so colored by race and gender that you bring it into discussions of quarantine policy. It may be socially acceptable to ascribe negative traits to white men, but I wonder what traits you ascribe to other groups?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Maybe you guys should start calling it the "Washingtonian Virus".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: alfred russel on March 24, 2020, 09:49:08 AM

Maybe you guys should start calling it the "Washingtonian Virus".

Trumps had worse nicknames.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Improvised hazmat suits, Barcelona edition