And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Richard Hakluyt

maybe they are all essential workers?

I don't understand why tfl have reduced the number of tube services. Apparently tube usage was down 70% last week and 89% on Sunday.............but the trains were still crowded because tfl cut the number running.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 24, 2020, 03:30:17 AM
maybe they are all essential workers?

I don't understand why tfl have reduced the number of tube services. Apparently tube usage was down 70% last week and 89% on Sunday.............but the trains were still crowded because tfl cut the number running.

Yeah the photo itself was made by an NHS nurse. They should restore the original number of trains.

celedhring

Same happened in Spain and they ended up restoring regular service. I don't understand why they thought reducing service was a good idea.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2020, 03:38:03 AM
Same happened in Spain and they ended up restoring regular service. I don't understand why they thought reducing service was a good idea.

It amazes me that so little use is being made of info from other European states that are further down this road. Though cutting the number of underground trains is such a tyro error that .......well, I suppose I should be used to incompetence in the UK by now.

Syt

Vienna public transport switched to weekend schedules because of fewer travelers. Which means subways every 5 minutes instead of every 2-3 minutes during the day. Seems fine so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

My father is a doctor and he shares the views of the WSJ article.  :hmm:

Syt

Yum!

https://www.eater.com/2020/3/23/21191632/fda-routine-food-surveillance-inspections-suspended-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic

QuoteIn light of the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to "flatten the curve," the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is halting all routine surveillance inspections of facilities that manufacture food and other FDA-regulated products, the federal agency announced on March 18.

This change, which comes a week after the FDA announced the suspension of most foreign inspections, affects domestic inspections traditionally conducted every few years based on risk analysis. In lieu of these inspections, the FDA is considering other ways to conduct inspectional work while maintaining public safety and protecting both factory and FDA staff. "This can include, among other things, evaluating records in lieu of conducting an onsite inspection on an interim basis when travel is not permissible, when appropriate," FDA commissioner Stephen Hahn said in a statement.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 24, 2020, 04:15:08 AM
My father is a doctor and he shares the views of the WSJ article.  :hmm:

What does he suggest to limit the spread while also keeping the economy going? I think that's something that should seriously be thought about, because I don't think a 3, 6, 12 month shutdown is feasible.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I don't know, which is why I disagree with him. I think we first need to stabilize (no more exponential growth, more like some East Asian countries) before we can lift some of the restrictions.  I asked him though, will be interesting what his answer is.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2020, 04:16:00 AM
Yum!

https://www.eater.com/2020/3/23/21191632/fda-routine-food-surveillance-inspections-suspended-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic

QuoteIn light of the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to "flatten the curve," the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is halting all routine surveillance inspections of facilities that manufacture food and other FDA-regulated products, the federal agency announced on March 18.

This change, which comes a week after the FDA announced the suspension of most foreign inspections, affects domestic inspections traditionally conducted every few years based on risk analysis. In lieu of these inspections, the FDA is considering other ways to conduct inspectional work while maintaining public safety and protecting both factory and FDA staff. "This can include, among other things, evaluating records in lieu of conducting an onsite inspection on an interim basis when travel is not permissible, when appropriate," FDA commissioner Stephen Hahn said in a statement.

As your article notes, the FDA is just one layer of defense in food quality checks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 24, 2020, 03:46:35 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2020, 03:38:03 AM

It amazes me that so little use is being made of info from other European states that are further down this road. Though cutting the number of underground trains is such a tyro error that .......well, I suppose I should be used to incompetence in the UK by now.
There's also bosses claiming that their business is essential so people have to come into work - even though the government will literally help cover the costs of shutting down. I can't even see that many of these businesses would even be making much money in the current climate - who, really, is going into Sports Direct now?

We need to prosecute a few bosses who aren't responding appropriately pour encourager les autres.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

You'd be surprised. I was in decathlon on the weekend. All their indoor exercise shelves were empty.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2020, 04:58:02 AM
You'd be surprised. I was in decathlon on the weekend. All their indoor exercise shelves were empty.
Yeah - my biggest shock in yexterday's announcement was when people were restricted to "one type of outdoor exercise" a day. Some people do more than one? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

That's a restriction that makes no sense. If I want to run half an hour in the morning and ride my bike an hour in the evening, how does that create any additional infection risk?

Stuff like this does not help with acceptance of the sensible measures.