News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Johnson has already shown however that he is more than happy to burn his own principles for more power.
██████
██████
██████

Fate

https://www.axios.com/chloroquine-coronavirus-death-09c91a91-4fe7-472c-9de9-79b890aa8fff.html

DO NOT SELF MEDICATE WITH CHLOROQUINE WITHOUT A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION.

Today a man overdosed and killed himself with chloroquine and his wife is in the ICU. It can cause cardiotoxicity and interacts with other medications you may be taking that can increase its toxicity. Be careful and share with your families incase they are thinking about taking this because of all the news hype out there.

fromtia

There was a minute there last week where it looked like Trump was listening to his handlers and he was going to try to do a bit of governing and sound kinda sorta Presidential. Republicans in the Senate were going to outflank the Congressional Democrats on the left with some temporary UBI and so on.

But no.

USA as full blown banana-republic dystopia is back in full effect. With new global pandemic/economic catastrophe sauce!!
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on March 23, 2020, 04:12:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2020, 03:33:35 PM
There's a preliminary story by italian researchers establishing a link between pollution and the spread the virus.  Seems like the virus would traval within microscopic particules of pollution to infect other people.  I have posted the link below, in italian, for the benefit of our resident italien members.

the results are very preliminary, but they would explain why Lombardia had such a rapid and very high infection rate, as the region is known to have a lot of these floating particles.

Link

Shit. I really hope that's not it or I'm fucked. If there is something in abundance at work it's soot. You can't weld shit without the stuff getting everywhere.

If true, very bad news for cities like London or Paris...

Josquius

Time to hope for rain? We've been having good weather lately.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 04:35:39 PM
There was a minute there last week where it looked like Trump was listening to his handlers and he was going to try to do a bit of governing and sound kinda sorta Presidential. Republicans in the Senate were going to outflank the Congressional Democrats on the left with some temporary UBI and so on.

But no.

USA as full blown banana-republic dystopia is back in full effect. With new global pandemic/economic catastrophe sauce!!
I'm also dubious UBI is a solution here. It's useful for some people, but in general I think it'd be better if you basically paid companies to keep employees furloughed.

It seems to me that it'd be more helpful to have viable companies with employees at the end of this, than profoundly understaffed companies and mass unemployment.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 04:40:17 PM
I'm also dubious UBI is a solution here. It's useful for some people, but in general I think it'd be better if you basically paid companies to keep employees furloughed.

It seems to me that it'd be more helpful to have viable companies with employees at the end of this, than profoundly understaffed companies and mass unemployment.

That's some pretty Peronist thinking there.  Nobody is working, but let's pretend they're not unemployed so the numbers look good.

Sheilbh

It's the approach in most of Europe.

My reasoning is if we can get out of this quickly there should be a very quick recovery and we'll be better off with companies at capacity that can respond to that rebound than ones that are suddenly having to take on lots of staff, train people up etc.

I think there's space for the UBI - possibly at this point for the unemployed and self-employed - but it sort of feels like "everything looks like a nail" of social policy at the minute. It could also have a role if this actually goes on for 18-24 months and there's unlikely to be a very quick recovery.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2020, 04:36:29 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 23, 2020, 04:12:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2020, 03:33:35 PM
There's a preliminary story by italian researchers establishing a link between pollution and the spread the virus.  Seems like the virus would traval within microscopic particules of pollution to infect other people.  I have posted the link below, in italian, for the benefit of our resident italien members.

the results are very preliminary, but they would explain why Lombardia had such a rapid and very high infection rate, as the region is known to have a lot of these floating particles.

Link

Shit. I really hope that's not it or I'm fucked. If there is something in abundance at work it's soot. You can't weld shit without the stuff getting everywhere.

If true, very bad news for cities like London or Paris...

I think its probably a case of having a conclusion and making the statistics match it.

You'll have more cases in population centres and those will have higher pollution.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 04:46:57 PM
It's the approach in most of Europe.

My reasoning is if we can get out of this quickly there should be a very quick recovery and we'll be better off with companies at capacity that can respond to that rebound than ones that are suddenly having to take on lots of staff, train people up etc.

I think there's space for the UBI - possibly at this point for the unemployed and self-employed - but it sort of feels like "everything looks like a nail" of social policy at the minute. It could also have a role if this actually goes on for 18-24 months and there's unlikely to be a very quick recovery.

I don't see the distinction you're trying to make.  I imagine most places that are forced to close are telling staff they will be contacted when it's safe to return to work.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 04:50:55 PM
I don't see the distinction you're trying to make.  I imagine most places that are forced to close are telling staff they will be contacted when it's safe to return to work.
And you want to go back to work for the guy who fired you in the middle of a pandemic before your income was sorted out? :blink:

I'm already keeping a tally of good and bad companies to inform my purchasing at the end of this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 04:52:34 PM
And you want to go back to work for the guy who fired you in the middle of a pandemic before your income was sorted out? :blink:

I'm already keeping a tally of good and bad companies to inform my purchasing at the end of this.

I assumed that someone in, say, Fromagia's position would think I'm fucked and my place of work is fucked, but after this is over let's get back to work.

But I do kinda see your POV now that you're spelled it out.  Maybe laid off workers will be furious they weren't paid while the company was shut down.

On the other hand, why would they be less furious if Uncle Sam paid them while the company was shut down, but passed it through the company?

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 04:50:55 PM

I have been told to expect to return to work April 6th when the Governors current order to close comes to an end. Pending possible extension of that order.

I haven't done any public assistance, unemployment or anything like that yet. The 14 days of sick pay is probably a mirage. No clue whats happening with my health insurance.

I would need zero assistance if this was the case, but I suspect very strongly that it is not the case and that we are looking at months of various stages of lockdown and the aftermath.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 04:52:34 PM

That really depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't mind working for the guys that laid me off in the previous recession. They waited longer than I would have and basically chose whomever was cheapest to fire, which I can understand. They were so ashamed they wouldn't even look at me in the eye that last day.