News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Merdogan, always such a nice islamist, blocks in Turkish customs, masks bought by Italy  :rolleyes:
Italian Prime Minister called him over the matter.

https://www.corriere.it/dataroom-milena-gabanelli/20_marzo_19/coronavirus-200-mila-mascherine-gli-ospedali-italiani-bloccate-ad-ankara-15-giorni-2b0ea5be-695d-11ea-913c-55c2df06d574.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

QuoteCoronavirus, 200 mila mascherine per gli ospedali italiani bloccate ad Ankara da 15 giorni
Acquistate, pagate, e destinate agli ospedali di Emilia Romagna e Marche. Conte chiama Erdogan

Josquius

I've heard liquor makers are running into trouble with HMRC in trying to produce hand sanitiser?  :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Interesting and difficult balancing statement by National Trust - who are keeping their outdoor properties open and free while they close their cafes and indoor locations:
QuoteNational Trust urges caution as good weather at the weekend could tempt people onto roads

With Mother's Day and good weather forecast for the weekend, the National Trust is urging people to avoid unnecessary travel and follow government guidelines on social gatherings.

The Trust's coast and countryside places will be open as usual with any car park charges suspended and the charity is working where it can to keep outdoor spaces open and free to access.

However Mother's Day and a weekend likely to be mostly dry and sunny could see some sites, especially smaller parks and gardens having to close.  Earlier this week the conservation charity announced that it would close its houses, shops and cafes to restrict the spread of coronavirus.

Nature expert and writer Andy Beer from the National Trust says: "Although our coast and countryside will be open as usual, we'd encourage people to stay local and enjoy the first moments of spring where they are rather than making an unnecessary journey.

"There are so many small moments of nature that we can enjoy now that spring has arrived, from the first blossom to flower, birdsong and the first leaves unfurling on our trees.

"We've had so much support for our move to keep our outdoor places open which has been really terrific to see.  However, we have a responsibility to adhere to government advice and although many can continue to enjoy many of our outdoor places we recognise this weekend is likely to be a challenge.

"To ensure we are encouraging people to stay aware of social distancing, many of our smaller parks and gardens could be closed this weekend. The wellbeing of our staff, volunteers and visitors remains our top priority."

This is partly why I'm not entirely against AR's point - I think if you can drive to a location or travel at a 2m distance and are only doing what is WELL within your capabilities - that being able to get outside and into some natural space is going to be really important for our mental health and well-being in the next 3+ months of isolation. You know, fresh air etc is, I think, going to be kind of key - though obviously everyone should follow the advice.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2020, 07:10:10 AM
I've heard liquor makers are running into trouble with HMRC in trying to produce hand sanitiser?  :unsure:

Well, more business opportunities for moonshiners!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2020, 07:10:10 AM
I think it was an issue - it's another one of those things where this just affects every bit of society and the state.

HMRC have now set up a fast-track form for shifting to industrial alcohol production and, apparently, prioritising it. It looks like some distilleries wanted to do it, then realised they need to get in touch with HMRC and then HMRC announced the fast-track and prioritisation a couple of days ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 05:37:55 AM
The Spanish public broadcaster has decided to stream fitness videos to help people keep in shape while at home. Problem is, they haven't produced any fitness show since the 1980s, so...

:lol:

Wait, is 80s Eva Nasarre back in our screens and I hadn't been told about it?  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 20, 2020, 07:29:33 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 05:37:55 AM
The Spanish public broadcaster has decided to stream fitness videos to help people keep in shape while at home. Problem is, they haven't produced any fitness show since the 1980s, so...

:lol:

Wait, is 80s Eva Nasarre back in our screens and I hadn't been told about it?  :lol:

Yep!

https://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/puesta-punto/

Camerus

I checked out the local pharmacy yesterday to compare with Zoupa's experience. Pharmacists here aren't wearing masks either (I didn't want to stress  them out by asking  about  it) but customers are cordoned off from the pharmacy and its staff at least, so no chance for morons to cough directly in staff's face. 

Sheilbh

UK government has published the scientific advice from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE):
https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies-sage-coronavirus-covid-19-response

Key points on this is that there is no single SAGE - basically the idea is depending on the nature of the emergency they get the scientists they need round the table. As the knowledge about the emergency grows the people change and there will also be expert sub-groups who feed into the wider committee. I believe the current SAGE is about 20 people with various sub-gropus and obviously hundreds of scientists doing the work behind all of these people. This group meets and discusses the various issues and evidence - it's then up to the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Advisor (and their teams) to summarise and present to political decision makers.

According to the Chief Medical Officer they emphasise that this is a realm of uncertainty - there are dealing with a novel disease and while it is behaving as you'd expect (Chris Whitty said it looks like what you'd see in chapter 1 of an epidemiology textbook) they are still learning lots and there are still big gaps in their knowledge - but in that uncertainty this is what they think and present to ministers.

It's kind of interesting to see and some of the concerns are slightly scary - like the risk of public disorder if there are, say, significant absences in the police force.

Edit: Also 2-3 week until we see the impact of social distancing etc in ICU admissions.

Edit: Basically we can see the government's analytical basis which is interesting, this appears to be the key paper:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873790/05-potential-impact-of-behavioural-social-interventions-on-an-epidemic-of-covid-19-in-uk.pdf

And nothing I've seen mentions herd immunity.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

The Health Minister has just announced they will be trialing remdesivir at the 3 main referral hospitals for infectious diseases. We also got a chloroquine trial going at another - that one is scheduled to report in 6 days IIRC.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 07:13:07 AM
Interesting and difficult balancing statement by National Trust - who are keeping their outdoor properties open and free while they close their cafes and indoor locations:
QuoteNational Trust urges caution as good weather at the weekend could tempt people onto roads

With Mother's Day and good weather forecast for the weekend, the National Trust is urging people to avoid unnecessary travel and follow government guidelines on social gatherings.

The Trust's coast and countryside places will be open as usual with any car park charges suspended and the charity is working where it can to keep outdoor spaces open and free to access.

However Mother's Day and a weekend likely to be mostly dry and sunny could see some sites, especially smaller parks and gardens having to close.  Earlier this week the conservation charity announced that it would close its houses, shops and cafes to restrict the spread of coronavirus.

Nature expert and writer Andy Beer from the National Trust says: "Although our coast and countryside will be open as usual, we'd encourage people to stay local and enjoy the first moments of spring where they are rather than making an unnecessary journey.

"There are so many small moments of nature that we can enjoy now that spring has arrived, from the first blossom to flower, birdsong and the first leaves unfurling on our trees.

"We've had so much support for our move to keep our outdoor places open which has been really terrific to see.  However, we have a responsibility to adhere to government advice and although many can continue to enjoy many of our outdoor places we recognise this weekend is likely to be a challenge.

"To ensure we are encouraging people to stay aware of social distancing, many of our smaller parks and gardens could be closed this weekend. The wellbeing of our staff, volunteers and visitors remains our top priority."

This is partly why I'm not entirely against AR's point - I think if you can drive to a location or travel at a 2m distance and are only doing what is WELL within your capabilities - that being able to get outside and into some natural space is going to be really important for our mental health and well-being in the next 3+ months of isolation. You know, fresh air etc is, I think, going to be kind of key - though obviously everyone should follow the advice.

I'm, also, sympathetic to AR's point but I think it would be wiser for him to simply rent a cabin in the woods & isolate there instead of wanting to road trip it across the USA. Would come across less assholish too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Camerus on March 20, 2020, 07:33:23 AM
I checked out the local pharmacy yesterday to compare with Zoupa's experience. Pharmacists here aren't wearing masks either (I didn't want to stress  them out by asking  about  it) but customers are cordoned off from the pharmacy and its staff at least, so no chance for morons to cough directly in staff's face.

Pharmacists are wearing masks, at least the one I went to fetch some medication for an elderly person. Can't really go there by himself in normal times, much less now.
Not cordoned yet, but queueing with 1 metre between each person has been seen at supermarkets whenever there is too many people. It gives a weird Franco-Soviet vibe futuristic dystopic vibe.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2020, 08:25:41 AM
I'm, also, sympathetic to AR's point but I think it would be wiser for him to simply rent a cabin in the woods & isolate there instead of wanting to road trip it across the USA. Would come across less assholish too.
Oh yeah - I mean don't be a dick or a super-spreader.

But just look at those advice papers they're thinking this might go on for a year or more (although it may be on and off). We will need our outdoor spaces - we're not socially or psychologically prepared for this.

Edit: Also looking at social media and my neighbourhood people seem to be voluntarily avoiding pubs and cafes which is good. But I am once again forced to conclude that we need to ban gyms <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 20, 2020, 08:30:07 AM
Quote from: Camerus on March 20, 2020, 07:33:23 AM

Pharmacists are wearing masks, at least the one I went to fetch some medication for an elderly person. Can't really go there by himself in normal times, much less now.
Not cordoned yet, but queueing with 1 metre between each person has been seen at supermarkets whenever there is too many people. It gives a weird Franco-Soviet vibe futuristic dystopic vibe.  :hmm:

Similar here for both you and Camerus but no face masks yet. I think the tape on the floor to seperate people and only allowing four or five people in store at the same time is agood idea.

Back up there now to try and get the elderly family members medications.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"