News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2020, 06:32:00 AMEverything else was gone (except for dessert goods, which I find weird - we need joy).

Preach! Next time I go out shopping I'll get a big chocolate ice cream or something FOR SURE.

celedhring

17,141 infections up +25% from yesterday (again, not a reliable figure given that testing is badly overstretched by their own admission). 767 dead, which is up 37%. UCI cases 939.

Zanza

Regarding supermarkets I saw a famous quote "If they don't have bread, they should eat cake." which actually works now as there is still cake, but no bread.  ;)

celedhring

Also, since the place came up a few weeks ago... Hospital de Sant Pau is reopening some of its old Art Noveau facilities to cope. They had been turned into a museum in the mid 2000s.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2020, 06:41:14 AM
Regarding supermarkets I saw a famous quote "If they don't have bread, they should eat cake." which actually works now as there is still cake, but no bread.  ;)

You can have both!

https://youtu.be/8iPBJR1r8zI
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

I've also found out that my local corner shop is not only well stocked but running deliveries for local elderly in isolation - so I'll be shopping there from now on.

Still finding it quite difficult to get my parents to take this as seriously as they should - they're in the countryside so it's less intensely there than London. And who knew a seventy-something scouser would get truculent if you try to tell them what to do? But it is annoying and worrying.

They're not necessarily taking crazy risks or super-spreading. But they're definitely less self-isolated and more vulnerable than I am :ultra: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on March 19, 2020, 05:56:16 AM

Personally, I'm going on rather fine. I live in a big apartment in a complex with two other families, have access to a treadmill and stationary bike, there's a small garden where my older daughter goes to do some yoga, the smaller ones (14 and 11 years old) are burning through the PS4 library - they even reinstalled my old Wii  :lol: -, my wife buys groceries every two days, we have plenty of TP and a bidet in every bathroom, we're decluttering the kids' rooms (titanic feat); but the social life is sorely missed (skype cocktail parties are all the rage down here), and the incoming spring, with longer and warmer days, will strain our will to remain inside.

On the negative side, the Conte government is going to extend the school closing well over the actual time limit - the boys will be back to school probably around the first days of May, and someone is hinting the school year won't restart at all - , and the quarantine will be extended for sure: it should've been lifted March 25th, but it will go on at least for another two weeks, I think  :bleeding: :bleeding:

I really don't know how many bars and restaurants, small shops and family businesses (and everything tied to the tourism industry) will reopen after a total lockdown of more than one month. There are tough times in sight for a large part of Italy  :(

L.

Good to hear everyone's ok, hang in there.

Maladict

PM just declared there's enough toilet paper for everyone to take a dump for the next ten years without worry.
Not exactly Churchillian, but I'll take it.

Grey Fox

Canada has TP, it would really be ironic if Canada ran out of a tree-based product.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Also, hospitals are expecting ICU cases to rise from 177 now to 500-1000 next week. There are only 575 beds in the country  :(

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 05:09:22 PM
I haven't left my house since last Friday.  :P
I've been to the liquor store twice. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2020, 07:16:30 AM
I've also found out that my local corner shop is not only well stocked but running deliveries for local elderly in isolation - so I'll be shopping there from now on.

Still finding it quite difficult to get my parents to take this as seriously as they should - they're in the countryside so it's less intensely there than London. And who knew a seventy-something scouser would get truculent if you try to tell them what to do? But it is annoying and worrying.

They're not necessarily taking crazy risks or super-spreading. But they're definitely less self-isolated and more vulnerable than I am :ultra: :(

Oh that's a good idea. :cheers:

Though i think the multiples and killed them all off in this market town.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on March 19, 2020, 07:34:40 AM
Also, hospitals are expecting ICU cases to rise from 177 now to 500-1000 next week. There are only 575 beds in the country  :(

For 20 million people? Ouch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteWent to the shops last night and it was absolute carnage.

After being stuck in my flat and very immobile I'd been to the shops the week before. As I'd been relying on a relatively basic delivery service I only had standard cheddar so splurged on some nice cheese - manchego, comte, stilton etc and sourdough. It turns out the one thing people are not stockpiling is specialty cheeses :(
Yes, its definitely a thing. People are stockpiling...but only cheap stuff.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Good times if you're a narco in Philly I guess.