News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 18, 2020, 10:32:15 AM
I have 12 bottles of assorted hard liquor, 6 wine bottle & a 6 pack of craft beer.
And of course, you're telling us just when we aren't supposed to travel!  Bastard!  :glare:  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

I've got one bottle of cremant, one can of beer and a half ounce of weed.

Monoriu

In a strange twist of fate, China is now doing relatively well.  I wonder how Beijing is going to play this. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2020, 08:30:00 PM
In a strange twist of fate, China is now doing relatively well.  I wonder how Beijing is going to play this.

Triumphantly.  Duh.

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2020, 04:34:41 PM
You sound even more stupid than CC did about a week ago.  And that is saying a lot!

Shit, did I miss your Road to Damascus post?  I mean, welcome to the correct side of things, but I wanted to read that one...

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 18, 2020, 12:07:03 AM
I wanted to wear a mask at work. My boss said no, it sends the wrong message.  :huh:

So no alcohol or disinfectant gel, don't wear masks, business as usual. We are literally the front line at pharmacies, since the special phone number set up by the gvt has a 3 hour wait time, so people show up at the store, where no employees are protected.

Nobody respects the 1-2 meter social distancing. Nobody stays indoor as requested. I had a fucking idiot cough on me not once but twice to "show me his cough". Dude was running a fever, and "could it have anything to do with my brother who just got back from Spain?"

Basically, we're fucked, unless the cops and army enforce this thing. Also, it was nice knowing y'all, since that moron probably infected me, and since I wasn't wearing a mask (think of the message it sends!) I will probably infect every single medication vial I touch for the next few weeks, indirectly killing people since half our patients are over 70.

Let's think of the image of the business in a pandemic  :wacko:

And why the fuck do we still sell cosmetics at this time? I had to insist maybe to stop displaying the lipstick samples that a gazillion of people have touched. Humans are fucking retarded. I almost welcome this plague.
Zoupa, regarde les points 2 et 3 vu que es salarié:  (je te croyais propriétaire avant tout récemment)
https://www.cnesst.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-presse/Pages/coronavirus.aspx?utm_source=CNESST&utm_medium=Carrousel-accueil&utm_campaign=Vous_avez_des_questions_sur_le_coronavirus_(COVID-19)

Malgré mon côté capitaliste et anti-gouvernemental, je déposerais une plainte.

Working without a mask in these time for healthcare professionals having close contact with the public is unacceptable, imho.

Maybe not wear the mask while working behind the counter (they have to be rationned, after all), but if you're consulting in the office, definetely.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2020, 09:10:52 PM
viper,

I've spent last year (March 15th was anniversary) working on tv show here in Washington state. I am five miles from the border. We are wrapping production next week and since I drove down with my own car last September I'm hoping to drive it back to Alaska.

If border is closed I may have to go become squatter at CdM's place in Spokane :lol:

I see  :(
Bunking with CdM, that would be hard.  Are there any psychological help lines you can call to? ;)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2020, 04:34:41 PM
You sound even more stupid than CC did about a week ago.  And that is saying a lot!

I think a lot of us overestimated how everyone outside China could cope with this.  I really thought that by the time it arrived here we would have had a working cure.  It's spreading much faster than I anticipated.

If we assume that the death rate is overrated, because lots of people don't get tested due to mild symptoms, than it means the contagion rate is much worst than the current estimate of 2.5.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on March 18, 2020, 08:58:30 PM
:rolleyes:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/louisiana-pastor-coronavirus/index.html

One of the infection clusters in Hong Kong is a Buddhist group.  They insisted in doing gatherings, and got like 40 people infected.  At least one died.  Religious gatherings were also responsible for spreading the virus in South Korea. 

Admiral Yi

QuoteHebrews 10:25 -- "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

Jonestown

mongers

So some religious types have been an absolute disaster, though not the Pope.

I just shouted at the tv "f***you c***" whilst watching a news report about an Iranian cleric who was shown on tv saying he'd been cured of the virus by drinking holy water from a shrine, guess what, he died from covid-19 a week later.

Anyone seen the story about the event held in an Malaysian mosque, where 10,000 people gathered for four days of worship, before heading back to the four corners of South East Asia. :rolleyes:

edit:
details here:
Malaysia reports 41 new cases of coronavirus, most linked to religious event

Malaysia reported 41 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, most linked to a religious event on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur that was attended by about 10,000 people from several countries.
Source:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/DLBSRM19UHc/malaysia-reports-41-new-cases-of-coronavirus-most-linked-to-religious-event-idUSKBN2110H5

How mass pilgrimage at Malaysian mosque became coronavirus hotspot

Worshippers slept in packed tents outside the golden-domed mosque, waking before dawn to kneel on rows of prayer mats laid out in its cavernous central hall. All the while, the coronavirus was passing unnoticed among the guests.
Source:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/ayNHDhRL3BA/how-mass-pilgrimage-at-malaysian-mosque-became-coronavirus-hotspot-idUSKBN2142S4
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Thank goodness tens of thousands of Europeans hadn't gathered in large ovals to cheer on their version of a religious dance between different sects of 11 participants each then gone back to the 4 corners of wherever when the virus was beginning to hit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 18, 2020, 09:42:21 PM
Thank goodness tens of thousands of Europeans hadn't gathered in large ovals to cheer on their version of a religious dance between different sects of 11 participants each then gone back to the 4 corners of wherever when the virus was beginning to hit.

Indeed that is a good point, we'll see what it's like in three weeks time.

Especially as 3,000 Spanish fans were in Liverpool for that game only about 10days ago, I expect we'll see a spike there.

Going back to the Malaysian mosque event, just seen an Al Jazeera report that the event is now responsible for two-thirds of Malaysians 800 cases and also now linked to infections in seven other SE Asian countries.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2020, 05:58:59 AM
Why do you keep talking about death panels?
Simply because that is what will happen.
QuoteThis won't be the first time an event overwhelms a medical system, and it won't be the last. Triage procedures have a long history and are a part of basic medical education.
Not, it's not the first time it happens locally.  And generally speaking, these people have a hard time coping with it, so many deaths. But it's certainly the first time it will happen globally.

You are worried about your stress level of being confined, but you are totally unworried about the stress level of the medical staff.  I can tell you for a fact a significant proportion of medical staff will have problems coping with so many deaths.

If you really think that 7% of us are going to die, you are absurdly misinformed probably by a fear mongering media looking for ratings. Look at the rates Sheilbh posted from actual scientists.
I took the numbers from Italy, when they didn't do anything for a while.  It's what we have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_ItalyActually, as of today, it's 2 978 deaths out of a total of 35 713 cases (28 710 active cases, 4025 recoveries).  That's 8.34%.  And that's not counting indirect deaths, those who died because the ICUs were at full capacity and they couldn't be cured.  Like a 60 year old with an heart attack that would have actually survided, in any other scenario.
In any case, if you believe this death toll is exagerated, it simply means there are a lot of other sick people out there, able to infect a lot more of people since there is no containment at all, as this would create undue stress on active people used to go hiking.  The results end up being very similar in the end.

You are saying countries should not do anything out of the ordinary, basically, take it on the chin, quarantine the sick, forget about the rest.
Since the models we have assume 70% infected people worlwide in worst case scenarios (when countries listen to your suggestions), that makes a lot of people sick, unable to work, either too sick to, or simply under quarantine.  What impact do think it would have on the stock market, if doing nothing and resulting 70% of your population mostly unable to work and unable to study and 15% of them possibly living with sequels?

And a significant number of the critically ill may remain with permanent lung damage, as in 20-30% less lung capacity (this is what is happening now to some of the people who have recovered, but it's obviously to early to tell if this will be permament). If you have an asthmatic person like me, who has about 72% of the predicted lungs capacity in his best days, how active will I be once I'm left with 54% of my lungs capacity?

So, again, who will die here?  Who will you sacrifice?  You're all eager to let other people decide, but you seem to lack the courage to make the hard choices yourself?

It's only virtual deaths, I assure you, no one will really die.  Just for the fun of it.  Make the exercise.  Then do it for your family.  Pick wich ones will die, using the age proportions we currently have:
QuoteThis first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

I'm going to assume all of us live in a country where we don't have to worry about direct healthcare costs (doctor's bill in the ER).  And I'll assume we have roughly 15% critical cases, what we've had in Canada.

People who won't work for an average of 45 days, people who may come to be in a critical financial situation (bills have to be paid, at some point) despite government help, people who might suffer sequels, people who might lose parents & friends.  But this is nothing compare to the stress of living without a gym for 2 weeks, because, you know, no one could ever do any physical activity outside of a gym.

So, again, I want you to name names.  Pick who will get critically ill here, pick who will die among us, using these proportions. 15% in the ICU for 2 weeks and 3 weeks in a regular hospital bed after that, 7% lethality rate (instead of 8.3% and climbing we have).

Same hypothesis as before, you will assume our sample is very similar to the general population in terms of age and general health.

I'll give you a flower, I'm first to die.  Who's next?  Who goes broke?  Who gets to live like an asthmatic for the rest of his life?  Do it for us, and do it at home for your own family, brothers, sisters, parents, uncles&aunts, grand-parents (if living), your kids, your cousins and their kids.
Apply the same numbers, and pick who will live and who will die if Trump and the morons you voted for in the Congress listens to your sound advice.

There is no liberal media conspiracy intent on overthrowing your gracious leader here, it's all hard numbers as reported by each countries.  You can look at the WHO site for the latest report and see the difference between countries that applied strict social distancing measures early one and countries who waited a little longer.  Unless the WHO is another one of these liberal agency trying to destroy the good reputation of your wise and oh so benevolent leader?  Just like the deep state of the CDC who failed your Republican administration?