News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I understand why they get the scientists to explain things, but the Chief Medical Officer who's said "I'll start with the cheery bit: for any individual person the chances of dying are actually very low" :lol: :(

Edit: Also this isn't just going to be for a couple of weeks :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2020, 11:29:17 AM
When is Jonhson's daily update on his eugenics project scheduled to happen?

When did you change your name to Tyr?

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2020, 11:54:44 AM
UK approaching the fast-growth stage of the curve. All people should stop non-essential contact and travel, work from home where they can. If anyone has symptoms in your household, then the entire household should self-isolate for two weeks.

Edit: And within a week they'll be asking people who are most vulnerable to stop non-essential/social contact for three months.

London peaking early so need to follow this now.

Yes, a lovely choice.

Keep visiting my mother who has been in hospital since December 1st and I will never forgive myself if I give her the virus.

Stop visiting my mother and if she slips even deeper into depression and madness because her most often (and one of only two) visitors stops coming I will never forgive myself. Given her condition will never improve she's close enough to the edge of losing any will to live as it is even when she's not slipping into what we devoutly hope is only hospital induced delirium.

I shall have to see if the Ward know of any new restrictions coming down the line when I visit tomorrow - they cut it to a maximum of two visitors per patient this week (given the nature of the wards involved they normally allow as many visitors in as can come given the nature and condition of their patients unlike with most NHS wards.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Iormlund

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2020, 12:03:50 PM
Trudeau about to make announcment. Hope they don't close restaurants. I'm a bachelor. I'll starve.

I plan to survive on lentils and rice for the next month.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on March 16, 2020, 12:14:51 PM
Yes, a lovely choice.

Keep visiting my mother who has been in hospital since December 1st and I will never forgive myself if I give her the virus.

Stop visiting my mother and if she slips even deeper into depression and madness because her most often (and one of only two) visitors stops coming I will never forgive myself. Given her condition will never improve she's close enough to the edge of losing any will to live as it is even when she's not slipping into what we devoutly hope is only hospital induced delirium.

I shall have to see if the Ward know of any new restrictions coming down the line when I visit tomorrow - they cut it to a maximum of two visitors per patient this week (given the nature of the wards involved they normally allow as many visitors in as can come given the nature and condition of their patients unlike with most NHS wards.)
:( God, I'm so sorry - that's a horrible situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2020, 11:29:17 AM
When is Jonhson's daily update on his eugenics project scheduled to happen?

Johnson 'Vague, imprecise waffle'

Chief medical officer 'Always look on the bright side of life'

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Interesting on testing. Early testing of healthcare workers will be a priority once the capacity is ramped up further (which is ramping).

Also, apparently, what will be "transformative" is a test of whether you've had covid-19 and that's very close.

Edit: Cool - one of my friends is working on the research for this test (he said it's "the big missing piece"). Normally a malaria researcher but works at a uni which is doing lots of research work and I think everyone gets pulled in.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Doesn't create a lot of confidence that the PM is half hour late for a live pre announced important message

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 16, 2020, 12:34:14 PM
Doesn't create a lot of confidence that the PM is half hour late for a live pre announced important message

40 minutes now.

Maybe he died? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2020, 10:17:17 AM
Also, regional elections due for early april have been postponed.

In France they just had local elections yesterday and are planning to have the second round next weekend...  :shutup:

I expect postponement any time now.

First death in Portugal, a friend of Jorge Jesus, the football coach. He wrongly had announced three days ago he had lost him to this coronavirus.  :hmm:

Josephus

Canada just banned foreigners, except Americans.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Fate

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2020, 12:41:34 PM

Seems pointless with that huge, gaping caveat. Hopefully they're doing temperature screening at the border. NY and Washington state are going to spill over into your backyard. They're going to be Italy level by the end of the month.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2020, 12:41:34 PM
Bold.

Minimum amount of time these social distancing measures will last is a "number of weeks" and likely to be months :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

also airlines are expected to not allow people showing symptoms from boarding a plane to Canada... this includes Canadians.