News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

UK health minister tests positive for the corona virus.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Central Texas still remains free so far as I know. 13 Cases in Texas so far, all from people who had traveled to infected areas. We only need to miss one and...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

My work seems to be winding up for a close down. Big managers meeting today followed by head of department asking for everyone's phone number.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I should probably tell my boss I am working from home once this thing hits downtown.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

I'm deciding when I should stop going to the gym, I get the feeling I'm rolling a saving throw every time I go...  :hmm:

I think when the first case in town gets confirmed. Hasn't happened yet.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on March 10, 2020, 05:16:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2020, 04:33:17 PMSimilar experience, I went out early evening yesterday to get four routine items from a nearby Lidl, only got one thing I went in for, breakfast cereal; the others, all of the pasta, most biscuits and nearly all of the coffee was gone.

Those who panicked early don't have to panic today.  ;)

Quick back of envelope calculation suggests I have enough main meal/pasta/bread flour to last to the end of April and enough breakfast cereal to see me through to mid-May.

Not panic, but the usual amounts I have on hand due to my hate for shopping.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on March 10, 2020, 06:08:57 PM
UK health minister tests positive for the corona virus.
I found this alarming, but it paled in comparison to the alarm I felt discovering Nadine Dorries is a Health Minister :o :bleeding:

At least she's only a Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State - albeit with some serious areas of responsibility :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I have never been so eager for the hot Texas summer before.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2020, 06:51:30 PM

When you get old you are going to be a nervous wreck.

crazy canuck

I wondered how many people in the US have been infected with the flu and how many have died this flu season.

The numbers dwarf covid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 02:22:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 02:09:19 PM
Tamas, come on! That's a selectively edited video really misrepresents what he said.

I find the way it's being circulated again this week on social media depressing. We don't need to worry about deepfakes when people are so willing to share, just selective edits - same with the Prince Harry thing yesterday.

Edit: I mean 2.5 million views and it's bollocks :bleeding:

What was the larger context that makes what he said mean significantly different to what it sounds like?

The fact that he says that that isn't a good strategy and that it is better to avoid the possible peak that would result and could overwhelm the NHS.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2020, 07:05:30 PM
I wondered how many people in the US have been infected with the flu and how many have died this flu season.

The numbers dwarf covid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

That's an article from Feb 3rd, and all the numbers thus are wrong.

You can't say that the flu is a bigger future threat than Covid 19 without taking into account the recentness of the Covid 19 outbreak, and saying that it is a bigger past threat is silly in the face of the recentness of Covid 19.

The proper comparison is dead/sick or hospitalized/sick.  But then, of course, your entire point collapses.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The numbers dwarf covid.

Seriously?  Are you really posting this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2020, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2020, 06:51:30 PM

When you get old you are going to be a nervous wreck.

Probably. My kids will be young adults by then :P

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2020, 07:44:13 PM

The numbers dwarf covid.

Seriously?  Are you really posting this?
Can the answer to this question ever be "no"? :unsure: