News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Sixth UK death happened in the city I work in.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 08:21:33 AM
Small girls don't panic more than small boys. Don't be more of a sexist asshole than you regularly are.

:wub:

QuoteMy prediction : 1/3 of the US population will have been infected in some forms by Dec. 31st 2020

I agree, but only around 10k wil have been tested.  :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2020, 09:12:54 AM
Another article to calm alarmist Fears

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-canada-death-1.5491907

Huh.

QuoteThe percentage of people who die from the illness is currently estimated at upwards of 3.4 per cent, according to the World Health Organization, which is significantly higher than the seasonal flu at less than one per cent.

It is so hard to get a good estimate at the lethality of this thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Big girls don't cry.  I haven't seen the data on small girls - hypothesis remains open.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Yesterday Hungary issued a couple of new policies to tackle this growing epidemic.

1. They stop testing health workers, "as this would only instill a false sense of security"
2. No Iranians will be let in the country

That ought to do it then!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 08:11:53 AM
QuoteIn Greece, calls are growing for the Greek Orthodox Church to listen to scientists on the issue of how best to deal with Covid-19 following its refusal to suspend ecclesiastical services and sacred rites such as Holy Communion.

Debate over the church's controversial stance intensified after its governing body debunked any suggestion that the novel virus could be transmitted when worshippers participate in shared rituals like Communion.

In a statement Monday, the Holy Synod announced "with a sense of responsibility" that it would continue to hold services and conduct the sacrament despite public health fears raised by the issue of shared chalices.

"For the members of the church, attendance of the Divine Eucharist and the shared Cup of Life, of course cannot be a cause of transmission of illness," the body of senior clerics said in the statement. "Believers of all ages know that attending communion, even in the midst of a pandemic, is both a practical affirmation of self-surrender to the Living God and a potent manifestation of love, which vanquishes every human and perhaps justified fear."
"Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?"
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

On lethality there is no way to know for sure yet because we don't know the true number of infected people.  AR is assuming that the disease has spread far wider then the reporting case numbers and thus the reported mortality rates are too high.  I think he is correct about that.

One piece of hard evidence we have is the Diamond Princess - where we know there were about 700 case and 7 deaths.  i.e. around 1%.
It also appears that South Korea -which seems to be much more effective at tracking case numbers - has mortality rates around 0.6%.  That suggests case numbers elsewhere are too low and mortality estimates too high.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 09:24:20 AM
Yesterday Hungary issued a couple of new policies to tackle this growing epidemic.

1. They stop testing health workers, "as this would only instill a false sense of security"

Nothing about George Soros?  Things must really be improving!
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2020, 09:40:49 AM

Hey now Tamas only posted the short version. Let's not start giving them credit for not being total wackjobs just yet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2020, 09:24:20 AM

It's early days.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2020, 09:42:47 AM

Hey now Tamas only posted the short version. Let's not start giving them credit for not being total wackjobs just yet.

Actually I just checked and they are working up to it for sure.  :D

In official Facebook communication they highlight 2 things:

1. There are 12 confirmed cases: 8 Iranian, 1 British, 3 Hungarian
2. "Iranian citizens not cooperating with the authorities will be deported"

celedhring

All events gathering more than 1,000 people forbidden in areas with high incidence of Covid-19 in Spain. Smaller venues will still have to cut their capacity to 1/3 in order to comply with safe distance recommendations.

Requirements to get sick pay reduced for those with Covid-19 or quarantined. Essentially you'll get 75% of your wage from day #1.

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2020, 10:15:23 AM

Requirements to get sick pay reduced for those with Covid-19 or quarantined. Essentially you'll get 75% of your wage from day #1.

Is this opposed to the usual 100%? Or opposed to nothing?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I'm confused too.  Is sick pay provided by the state in Spain?