News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

You'll be a rich man in a months' time Maladict. Remember to keep some back for bartering.  ;)

There is no panic here, just a general unease but also coming together. Just checked the Italian figures for today and I really should stop. Why is the death rate so high in Italy?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2020, 03:06:49 PM
all began with one Chinese fuck eating a snake.

Vox says it started in bats and jumped to pangolins then to humans. :nerd:

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2020, 03:08:42 PM

Traditional medicine needs to be wiped out.

DGuller

My dad's friend in Wisconsin has been lying home very sick for the last couple of days.  He must be very sick, because he's not the one to miss work, and his work is not the one to let their employees miss work.  That's okay, though, because a lot of his co-workers are sick as well, including the mangers, so they're all very understanding. :unsure:  He's got fever and cough, no word yet on runny nose.  :ph34r:

HVC

Quote from: Maladict on March 08, 2020, 03:12:00 PM

It wasn't medicine, it was supper.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on March 08, 2020, 03:25:23 PM

Not mutually exclusive terms.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 03:08:12 PM
You'll be a rich man in a months' time Maladict. Remember to keep some back for bartering.  ;)

There is no panic here, just a general unease but also coming together. Just checked the Italian figures for today and I really should stop. Why is the death rate so high in Italy?

I was surprised to read just how old Italian the Italian population. Don't remember the numbers but the number and portion of over 60s is HUGE.

crazy canuck

In BC so far so good.  Health authorities got on this quickly and have been very transparent.   Some clusters related to people returning form Iran have popped up.  One case of community transmission has been reported.  One care home has been infected.

Pedrito

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 03:08:12 PM

Old average age, but I suspect authorities count deaths WITH Covid-19 instead of BY Covid. Otherwise a mortality rate more than three times higher than every other nation cannot be explained.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Pedrito

Today some people started talking about making a "selection" of who to admit to ICU rooms, based on age, preexisting conditions, and availability of beds in the area  :( :( :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: HVC on March 08, 2020, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 08, 2020, 03:12:00 PM

It needs to be wiped out, regardless.

Iormlund

Quote from: Pedrito on March 08, 2020, 03:44:39 PM
Today some people started talking about making a "selection" of who to admit to ICU rooms, based on age, preexisting conditions, and availability of beds in the area  :( :( :(

L.
I saw that yesterday, by some dude in the Anesthesiologist Association (or something llike that).

But it looks like it's already underway:

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on March 08, 2020, 02:43:19 PMSome of my work I can do remotely. Documentation, meetings (via Skype), improvement design (CAD).

The core of my job however is "owning" several machines in a three-shift production facility. That means I have to be there. Ironically that part is the least I worry about. We all have to wear thick gloves (both against cuts and heat). Those are covered in grease from the parts, so you soon learn not to touch your face with them. Plus I don't really have to be that close to anyone. All I need is access to the parts and systems.

I'm guessing main contagion vectors to be the cafeteria, turnstile, bathrooms and the office (open floor plan). I can go without coffee break socializing ( :(). But it's going to be harder to evade meetings, trainings, audits, since I'm usually the focus (eg. Quality, Ops, HSE, management are there to ask actual engineers to do/report stuff).

Last week I spoke with my boss and suggested coming on the weekends and/or other shifts in combination with remote work. He was completely blindsided. I'll talk again with him tomorrow.

Tech-priest Iormlund checking calibrations.

Good to hear Iormlund. Yeah I'm already resigned I guess to the fact that at some point I'll be a semi-hermit with just my immediate family for a while.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Iormlund

:lol:

Yeah that's pretty much me. Especially useful are the litanies to the Machine-Spirit. Hod knows my lasers are ancient enough to qualify as relics.  :P

Josephus

I think we need to wipe out entire peoples who eat oddball things.
Like Chinese.

And French people. Frog legs, snails. WTF
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011